This Disappears When Logged In

Is This Breeding Season or Just Teenager?

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by wildheart, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Forest's hormones was going haywire this weekend!!! He was head bobbing continuously and made himself look very thin while walking on his tippy toes. He also patrolled the sliding door while wiping it with his tail quite aggressively. I also found him on the bed biting down on a towel and saw this protruding:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was totally shocked because I have never seen this before. I suppose it is his hemepenis, but what is the round part above it? It only showed for a short while and I did not see it again.

Plus, Forest will now be 1 year and 4 months and he is 43 inches. I read that breeding season only really starts at 2 years and that there is definite color changes, orange or red.
    He is still completely green, there is absolutely no color changes, therefore, am I right in assuming that he is becoming a teenager now?
    I took this photo this morning, he is under a red light but you can see that he is still completely green. He is not really eating anymore and his tail looks fatter than usual.
    [​IMG]

What do you call this stage that he is going through now, or can he really be entering breeding season already?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Looks like he may be a bit older than you think. That light colored part looks like the end of a sperm plug. They will leave those around to mark their location to any interested lady igs.

3. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Merlin he cant be older than what I think because I ordered him when he was still an egg and took him home when he was 5 days old. ;) So it means you think it is breeding season and not just adolescents signs?:confused:

4. Merlin

That would be my guess. He is maturing. However my experience with male igs is limited.

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Who is the male owners on this site? It seems like I am going to have one heck of a breeding season.

6. Merlin

Dominic and Steph both have males.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Wildheart, he may be maturing a bit earlier because of the " natural" conditions you keep him in, do you have a female, also? It would be excellent if you could breed them!

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Nope I don't have a female. To be honest, I don't want a female either, it won't be fare to Forest or my dragons. ;)

9. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Yeah, no. Not so excellent. There are far too many iguanas in the world as it is. We, who work in iguana rescue, are staunchly against captive breeding and highly recommend freezing any eggs that are laid.

10. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Lateral compressions
    Hatchet walking
    Tail swiping

Yup. It sounds like breeding season to me! Let's hope all those moments you described cuddling your scared iguana stick in his mind as he becomes possessed by hormones and tries to drive you out of his territory.

Be diligent. Try not to change anything in the way you interact with him. Protect yourself! It's an extremely difficult road, but you must believe your sweet little trusting iguana is still inside that head, held captive by the hormonal tyrant you will be dealing with.

11. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Yeah, one more thing.

Wildheart- A lateral fold in the skin down the side can be a sign of dehydration. Please make sure he is getting plenty of water in his diet, either by really wetting the greens or providing water-soaked RepCal.

As to your question about what the "other" part of the hemipenis was, my suggestion would be to clean the sheets. ;)

12. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I have found if you have a dehydrated ig that watermelon works great to hydrate them quickly, it shouldn't be in their diet often but you can put water on watermelon and they go crazy.

It was all I could get Kermie to eat when she was gravid, and sometimes we are desperate :p

13. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Yes I know he is dehydrated, he hasn't been eating since the 14th so he doesn't get any moisture from his food. (I always wash all his leaves before I cut it). He has got 2 water bowls and his humidity is between 70 -80%. I still bath him every night, but he doesn't drink any water in the bath. It seems as if he only gets water in him when I spray him with water. Is there anything else that I can do?

Saturday morning when I served his breakfast I saw that he pooped on his ledge? So out came the bucket and scrubbing brush. No jokes when I say, HIS GOT A WHOLE SPERM BANK GOING ON UP THERE, it looked as if a couple of snails had a party!!! I wonder if his neck is not feeling stiff already from all the head bobbing!:p This was him waiting for me to finish cleaning up behind him:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About 2 hours later the temps where nice outside and I wanted to take him outside. This was the thanks I got:
    [​IMG]

That evening I wanted to take him for a bath, because I could see that he was dehydrated. This time he bit me and refused to let go. I walked around with him on my arm and his teeth sunken into my hand. I did not have anything for him to sniff and poring cold water over his face did not help either. He finally let go of me when I placed my whole arm in the water.
    Thank goodness that he still has a 'baby' mouth.

[​IMG]

After the bath he climb on my lap and fell asleep! [​IMG]

This is really confusing me, firstly he is too young, born the 4th of Dec 07, he is not even the correct size to breed yet! Secondly, if he is in breeding season, why did he still choose my lap to sleep on? Don't they stay moody all the time?

PS: Dom, hie-hie, I was referring to the red round thing.

14. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

I have to agree with Dominic and Murrindindi. The natural conditions that Forest has been reared in have boosted his maturation. Good food, lots of love and affection, a natural environment,(as close as you have given), fresh air and sunshine.

Voila, a 'teenager' feeling his 'oats'!:eek::)

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

It cant be this either because I am not keeping him in 'natural' conditions. He gets a heck of a lot of attention and iguana's in the wild does not. ;) I would also never be able to perfect a Rain Forest in his room, although I really-really try.:p

We have been going home for one week every month since he was born. He is used to the traveling and used to his room in the other house. We did not go home in Feb. and then again went in March. It was the first time that we have skipped a month. :mad: All of this 'hormonal changes' started at our other house last weekend. I'd love to know whether going home on the 10th of April is going to make him worse or better.:( ++++ I suppose we will have to leave very late at night when he is sleeping and less aggressive.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Wildheart, does he get regular exposure to natural sunlight? If yes, plus the fact you give him a good variety of suitable food, and his temps. and humidity levels are right, means he is kept in " optimum conditions" and this may mean he matures earlier than a wild specimen may do!
    How`s your hand? (A nice souvenir!)
    Take a close up photo of his body, he looks very healthy to me!

17. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Maybe it is this South African Sun! Hopelessly to much UV and UVB in comparison to the rain forest!:(:confused: Can it possibly be that?

MY hand,:):D Craig freaked out, I was screaming bring the camera and Craig didnt want to know nothing. He donked us under the water!:mad::)

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Wildheart, if he were getting too much sun, he would move into the shade!!

19. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

There is UV and UVB in the shade too.:p

Seriously, it rains a lot in the rain forest correct? So what does the iguanas do while it is raining and how much sun do they REALLY get?

If he is in breeding season at 1 year and 4 months then to me it means that it is abnormal and that I did something wrong or too much. :(:eek:

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No, Wildheart, you did something RIGHT! There is no specific age at which an animal will breed! Just whatever the particular animal`s bodily functions decide is the right time! He`s a beautiful looking specimen,
    you`ve done very well!! As WG.nelson said, he`s now a teenager, it`s natural behaviour !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.