This Disappears When Logged In

Is My Hypo Hoggs Temporary Enclosure, Safe So to Speak??

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by NoahGotHerpsDewd, Apr 4, 2014.

1. NoahGotHerpsDewd

NoahGotHerpsDewd Well-Known Member

Hey HerpCenter! My names Noah, and I just happened to get my hands on this absolutely gorgeous female Hypo Hogg Island Boa about 2 weeks ago. I acquired a 20 gallon long for her, and the lighting I have now is a full Spectrum 11W bulb (the spiral looking bulb) for getting her started on a day/night schedule, as where I have her right now in the hallway on a stand she is not by a window for daylight like my BP is. As well as one of those purple heat bulbs, I think 50 watt (I know, I know stay away from colored bulbs... also have a heating pad, possibly better?). I also have for humidity a Vicks Humidifier in the room relatively close to and on the same level as her cage so that the humidity will fall into the cage. I got her on the 22nd, the guy I got her from was feeding live mice ever 5-7 and had fed her the night before I got her, and she happily ate a f/t mouse on the 27th. As of right now I do not have a way of testing temps or humidity in her cage, I just ordered a tempgun, and a hygrometer for her cage as well as a perch from LLL Reptile (and some little things not worth typing lol). I am using paper towels as a substrate for the time being because like I said her cage setup is temporary until my order comes in. My concern is that she is not getting the correct humidity right now, as she just entered her first shed cycle since I've gotten her (I will post pics and when I get home after work) and I want her to be able to shed correctly if I cannot get my equipment in time. She is absolutely gorgeous and the Times I have handled her she has been MORE then docile for the rep baby boas have, she isnt the slightest bit head shy and VERY, very curious. I am sorry about my being so naive in this lol, this is just my first boa and she is such an amazing animal I just want her to thrive in the environment I provide, which I feel is less than satisfactory right now. I will post pics or her setup, as well as some of her before she started her shed as soon as I get home today, as I'm at school posting this right now and I have work after. Looking forward to reading responses, thanks again HerpCenter!!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They don't need to have natural light to do a day night cycle. Unless its pitch black in the hallway, no lights are needed in the tank. And they do not need UVB.
    Humidity doesn't just fall in the tank. Warm air rises so the air in the tank is exiting into the room, not the other way around. Unless the room is the equivalent of a rainforest.
    A thermometer is a necessity! And a tempgun will only give you the temperatures of solid surfaces, it won't read air temperature. If the temperatures are not right you are setting yourself up for a problem.

3. NoahGotHerpsDewd

Well it is a cool mist Vicks humidifier so it comes out rather cool and its sitting on the desk her cage is on, but I do see how the heat in the cage could bring it out. I would love to just mist her cage, I just dont have a spray bottle atm (which i did order a pressurized one). Anything else you would recommend to up the humidity in the tank? I just don't want her to have any complications shedding.
    Also, I cant get my camera to work atm, but here is some pictures as i promised.
    IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg

4. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Hey, Noah. First thing I'd say is to move your Ball Python. It's not a good idea to keep them in direct sunlight. Secondly, are you keeping her in the fish tank or getting a new cage altogether?

5. NoahGotHerpsDewd

And as for the lighting I will probably take the Full spectrum down then, would you recommend using the the bulb/heating pad?

Ohh no he is not in direct sunlight lol. He is across the room from the window in my closet (which I have taken the doors off of for him lol) I just typically have my blinds open.

6. EriksExotics

Thanks for clearing that up :) I would recommend ditching the bulb, especially if you're facing issues with humidity. Bulbs suck out all of the humidity inside of the cage. I only use Heat pads and Flexwatt. One heat pad will be enough to properly heat the Hogg.

7. NoahGotHerpsDewd

Will do! I turned the bulb off, put a larger water bowl in her tank, and put the heating pad underneath. Thanks for the advice!!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  8. NoahGotHerpsDewd

Hey Erik! Just a quick question, last night I redid her cage, when I get home from work later I will take pics. I have about 2 - 2 1/2 inches of eco earth substrate in there now. Do you think the pad will properly heat her still with this much substrate ontop? I have my hygro/thermo, but it didn't come with the watch batteries that it takes so today after work I have to go get some... When I get home I will make a new thread for her new setup!! I think its looking awesome, and I have to make a stop at the store on my way home for batteries, and the finishing touches for her cage.

9. EriksExotics

Should still work, the heat pad will just have to get a little hotter. The only way to tell is to get batteries and watch temps

10. AlexisFitzy

AlexisFitzy Active Member

First I just have to say your boa is Gorgeous! I love hog islands and can't wait to get one one day! On to helping lol I've kept snakes in glass tanks before with success by foil wrapping the screen top. You get some regular aluminum foil sheets and place them over the screen top until its all covered up. Then you take some Duct tape (I prefer black because it looks a lot better than the silver) and tape it over the foil until its all covered up, then you take an exacto knife or box cutter and cut out a square a little bit bigger than your heat lamp, place the square in the middle of the cage so the heat will distribute more evenly. When you use a larger water dish the humidity will be kept inside instead of escaping through the screen top. I'll post a picture of mine if you want to have a visual of how it looks :) Also a great thermometer/hygrometer to use is an Acurite from walmart. It has a probe that you can stick underneath the hot side where the snake hides and then it measures temperature wherever you place the unit and measures humidity as well :) I have a couple and they work Great! Heres the link to it. Acu-Rite Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer - Walmart.com I hope all this info is helpful :)

11. AlexisFitzy

Here's a pic of my Acurite thermometer. The one pictured on walmarts website is on the clock setting instead of the other setting that displays indoor/outdoor temperatures and humidity.

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/...9-4482-47FA-9FD4-354C7D0D8376_zpsitc1frkq.jpg

And here's a picture of my foil wrapped screen. :)

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/...C-76CB-4EE1-AFE6-5F1B12B2D53F_zpsagiwhfyh.jpg

I use a nighttime 50watt bulb 24/7 because I have two big windows in my room so lots of light pores in and the blue light is not visible in the daytime but at night it gives off a faint moonlight glow. Keeps my tank warm all day and all night, and since the water bowl is almost right underneath the lamp it causes that water to evaporate and creates more humidity :)

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Alexis I would recommend that the heater be placed more to one end of the tank. You don't want uniform heat but rather a warm end and a cooler end so the snake can thermoregulate. You also don't need the opening to be larger than the heat lamp.

13. AlexisFitzy

I did have it on one side of the tank for a while but when i had it like that the gradient was a little two extreme. Depending on the temperatures of your house you can either keep it to one side or the middle. Since my house is kept pretty cold, insulated pretty horribly, and in the winter time is even colder keeping it on one side would result in a hot spot and the cool side being whatever the temp the room is. Even wrapping the screen to keep heat from escaping out of the top doesn't keep it from escaping through the glass. So when its in the middle my cool side is at 80 and the hot side is at 88 with a 90 degree hotspot underneath so everything is good :) But I have a Proline vision cage finally on its way and will be here next week so I'll be using a radiant heat panel then :) No more glass tanks for me. Rack systems and vision cages all the way.

14. AlexisFitzy

Going back and reading my post over again I understand what you mean, I should've said "gives a better gradient" instead of spreads heat more evenly. But with glass terrariums it takes a lot of reeking to get it just right for your specific situation so everyone's setup will be a bit different from everyone else. You just have to find the way that works best for you and your animals :)