This Disappears When Logged In

Is My Fire Skink Sick?

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by ShyenneD, Nov 28, 2017.

1. ShyenneD

ShyenneD New Member

Hello! I'm very new here and I just need some reassurance and advice. I got my fire skink a couple weeks ago and he seemed to be doing fine. But just last night and this morning he has been sleeping onto of the substrate when he usually burrows. I went to go see if he would wake up and he was really limp when I held him and his eyes squinting open before he went and hid. I'm very worried (the temperature and Humidity are fine in his cage and he is eating mealworms and crickets just fine)

Thank you for any and all info you can provide!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you say exactly what the ambient and basking surface temps plus the humidity ranges are and how you measure them all, also a few photos of the whole enclosure will be helpful. Thanks!

3. ShyenneD

ShyenneD New Member

On the hot side the temp is around 90° F and the humidity is around 30% (I have issues keeping the Humidity on that side) on the cool side the temp is around 80° F and the Humidity is around 64% I have a 20 gallon tank with a water bowl on the cold side a plant in the middle and a Heidi Rock on the hot side he usually stays on the cool side or the middle. I notice on his skin that he has a couple flakey's like he's in shed but it's been a couple days and I'm not sure if he actually is in shed or there's something wrong.

Attached Files:

4. ShyenneD

ShyenneD New Member

Another picture

Attached Files:

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos and details. The analogue gauges can be quite inaccurate (as much as 15% plus out) which means you/we have no idea what the ambient temps and humidity really are, you need a digital hygrometer, I believe you can buy them in Lowes or Walmart for around $13, that piece of equipment is absolutely urgent.
    You also need an IR Temp-gun to measure the basking surface temp. I`ll put a couple of links up, give me 5 minutes...

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

7. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

In the states there are several brands available on amazon... here's a link
    Amazon.com: Masione Temperature Gun Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Ir Thermometer -58°f to 716°f (-50 ~ 380℃) Instant-read Handheld,battery Included: Kitchen & Dining
    I believe this is the one I have. They are mostly all the same, brands and prices differ, as do temp ranges, but for our purposes the cheap one works just as well as a pricey one. I picked this one because it takes AAA's.

8. ShyenneD

ShyenneD New Member

So you guys can't tell me any possible reasons why he is acting the way he is?

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think I already explained a possible (probable?) reason for the behaviour, that is that until you acquire accurate instruments as suggested to measure the ambient and basking surface temps plus the humidity range and make sure they`re all within the recommended parameters, there`s nothing much more anyone can say.

10. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Another thing I would mention is the substrate doesn't look like it will hold a burrow, so that could cause some of the issues. What kind of mix are you using? The limpness does sound like a metabolic issue, which is usually something to do with heat... so getting an accurate read on those is a must. Like was said the analog guages are trash... Just throw them out now it's not doing you any favors. Plus your next ones should be down lower where the animal actually is.