This Disappears When Logged In

Is My Blue Iguana Healthy?

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by BlueBaby, Aug 26, 2018.

1. BlueBaby

BlueBaby New Member

20180826_184720.jpg I got my blue iguana 2 months ago shes eating just fine she loves green beans and melon I also feed her collard greens and other things. But lately I've noticed her back legs and tail look alittle thin. I'm wondering if maybe shes dehydrated cause she also hasn't pooped in a day or so shes also very active still

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well I can see one very serious problem right off the bat, if that is one of those all screen enclosures then I can pretty much guarantee your ig is dehydrated, at least to some extent. First thing would be to wrap the entire cage with plastic sheeting or something to help keep the heat and humidity inside. If you've already done that, or I'm wrong about the cage, let me know, and also give more details of the setup, and we'll go from there.

murrindindi likes this.
  3. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

I agree with Darkbird. She does appear skinny in my opinion based on the picture. More information would be helpful. Does she have proper lighting? Screen cages are pretty much impossible to keep any sort of humidity in unless you already live in a humid climate and the cage is outside which is probably unlikely. If you think she's dehydrated and you can't make an instant change to the enclosure, you can start by removing her and giving her short baths every day for the time being but ultimately you'll need a way to maintain proper humidity and temps.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, this is just a question not a criticism; what will giving the iguana short baths do in terms of hydration?
    Forced handling is normally very stressful.

5. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

My thought process was that if humidity was not being met within the environment, a bath would help with potential shedding problems and irregular bowel movements that were mentioned in the first post. You are correct though, that may not be the best idea due to the stressful nature of handling. It wasn't mentioned how often the iguana is being handled but I assumed it was probably frequently; I know a lot of people like to start early with lizards that grow quickly and tend to become aggressive. Definitely not an expert, just thought I would offer advice. Again: humidity and temperature within the enclosure as well as proper diet need to be a priority and should ultimately alleviate most issues.

6. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

Aside from stress, lizards can't absorb water through their scales or through their vent, so bathing/soaking is actually not going to do much. About the only thing a bath would do is help with extremely bad/stuck shed to help soften it up. That is mostly seen from animals that haven't been kept properly in the past with insufficient humidity in the cage, but fixing the environment will fix issues with shedding. Digestive issues are also tied with the errors in husbandry too and soaking isn't the best remedy for it.