This Disappears When Logged In

Is My Bearded Dragon 100% Hypo

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by MCMJ2005, May 25, 2013.

1. MCMJ2005

MCMJ2005 Member

Hello, I have a male bearded dragon. He is about 17 1/2 inches and I am trying to figure out if he is 100% hypo. All of his nails seem to be clear but there are a few black spots that I don't know if I should consider it black. Also his shoulder pads are a greyish color but, again I don't know if I should consider it black. I included a few pictures, any help would be great. He is in shed right now. Sorry if the pictures are not that great.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    P5251290.jpg
    P5251291.jpg
    P5251292.jpg
    P5251293.jpg

2. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

The nails and nail bed on a hypo are perfectly clear. When Rikku is awake in the morning I will take pics and show you.

Ok I have been trying for like a hour to get a picture of her nails clearly. I think I will have to use my cell phone to try because my big camera is like DUHHH too close. I will try to explain...because she is a hypo. The nails and nail beds are completely clear. even the top of the nail where it meets the foot is completely totally see through. No discoloration whatsoever. No grey or black whatsoever in the nails and (at least in mine) her "black" is more brownish to greyish.

Its important to remember that even dragons that aren't hypo don't always have black. For example 2 of my dragons (Newb and Spaz) have zero black in them at all but are not hypo. They just lack a certain amount of black pigment but not enough to be 100% hypo. OK I will show you kinda what I mean:

This is Rikku, she is Hypo orange citrus dragon (dang I tried to get a clear shot of her nails but you can see through them so they just look like whatever is behind her because she is so danged small)

Rikku.jpg

This is Newb, his nails are semi - clear but there is some beige and grey in them. But notice the lack of black here? Newb has some hypo but is not what would be considered a true hypo.

IMG_20130322_115058_0.jpg

Forgot to mention...with Rikku, I am noticing with each shed (she is only 2 months old) she is losing what small amounts of purple she does have outside of the sides of her head...

3. Mledwards123

Mledwards123 Elite Member

What exactly makes a bearded dragon a hypo?

4. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

It basically means a reduction is black pigment. Like an albino has no pigment...a hypo lacks black pigment. Ok so you use Rikki as an example...When I got her 2 weeks ago she had 4 purplish stripes. Now she has 2 1/2 and She is starting to shed again and through the shed I am seeing even less of the purple. by the time she is full grown whatever dark pigment is there will be very light or non existent.

this part I stole from a website (Delta Dragonz: Bearded Dragon Breeders in Sacramento, CA)

Hypomelanistic dragons tend have much more brilliant coloration than their non-hypo brethren because they display the color characteristics of a very special gene which reduces the amount of dark pigment (also called melanin - hence hypo-melanistic) in their scale and skin color patterns. One of the main markers of a hypomelanistic bearded dragon is the absence of the dark line of pigment that other bearded dragons have down the length of their nails. Hypo dragons have all clear nails. Another recognizable trait of a hypo dragon is a slightly lighter color to their normally dark colored shoulder pads. Hypomelanism is a recessive gene trait which means a bearded dragon must recieve a copy of the gene from both of its parents in order to display visual characteristics of the gene.

5. Mledwards123

I was told my dragon was a hypo.
    There are some pics.

Attached Files:

6. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

One of the main markers of a hypomelanistic bearded dragon is the absence of the dark line of pigment that other bearded dragons have down the length of their nails. Hypo dragons have all clear nails. Another recognizable trait of a hypo dragon is a slightly lighter color to their normally dark colored shoulder pads.

7. Mledwards123

Mines nails actually are clear the shoulder pads are a little dark like a dull black

8. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Without seeing your dragon in person I couldn't tell. I didn't understand entirely til I went to the reptile show and the guy showed me Rikku's parents. Then I understood.

Anyhow, do you know the parents? They both have to have the gene to give hypo to offspring. I know that sounds insane but its true

Rikku + this guy...what do you think? Good match? (ok slightly off topic sorry)

Rikku.jpg 652_MP-9_c_.jpg

9. Mledwards123

The guy I bought her from said she had paperwork on her saying she was an orange or yellow hypo I don't remember which

And yea he looks cool haha

10. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Ah ok then most likely she is.

11. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

beautiful dragon either way!!

12. Mledwards123

The previous owner had most of her nails removed.....

Attached Files:

13. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

the one thing I have noticed the most about the hypo dragons is they are much brighter in their colors then non hypo. Its odd.

14. Mledwards123

Mines colors are always changing in brightness. She sheds about every two weeks.....

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Why did he have her nails removed? Thats just mean!!!

16. Mledwards123

I really don't know. The owner wasn't the smart. I work with him

17. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Wow..why would you have their nails removed...seriously...I have a rough tree branch in each cage to keep them somewhat trimmed but none of my guys mind having their nails trimmed when needed. That is totally cruel actually.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Judging from the photos he did not "have the nails removed"! The toes have been cut off! This is not something a vet would have done but rather the work of a barbaric individual!
    This is criminal animal cruelty and he needs to be arrested!

19. Mledwards123

As I said the previous owner is not very smart I work with him. And that was one reason I jumped at the chance to hurt her