This Disappears When Logged In

Is My Ball Python Male or Female??

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by adamquinton, Oct 21, 2014.

1. adamquinton

adamquinton New Member

I know the only real way to find out if my ball python is male or female is to get it probed, but i don't want to risk him or her getting hurt when doing so. I know there is other ways that are not so accurate for example looking at the tail and looking at the spurs.
    Here are some pictures of my snake he/she is about a year and 3 months old and is a solid 3 feet if anyone could give me and educated guess on whether it is a male or female would be very much appreciated. IMG_0130.jpg IMG_0132.jpg IMG_0136.jpg

2. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

Spurs are on males and females so that's not really an accurate way :/

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm betting my dollar on it being a girl.

Girls have smaller spurs than males, and a proportionately smaller head.

But if you ever see a pair of sperm plugs, that is also a reasonably accurate way of telling it's a boy. More info on that here:
    Seminal (Hemipenal) Plugs and Seminal Exudates

4. adamquinton

adamquinton New Member

thank you for ur opinion! and i have never seen and sperm plugs I'm hoping its a girl

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Also, females generally get larger than males, both in length and girth. My male and female are only a year apart in age, (9 and 10, female being older, neither has grown appreciably in the last few years), and the female is at least a foot longer than the male, and much thicker.

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I would post an add looking for a local breeder and have them pop it for you. If you purchased him from a petshop chances are its a male. Normal males are "useless" to breeders so they often whole sale them off to petshops. From your pictures its only a guess.
    Some males do get huge too, my het albino male is one of my biggest ball pythons, his sister is one of the smallest adults I have.

7. fenrispyre

fenrispyre Active Member

Probing or poping is the only real way to tell if it's female or male. Font a breeder to do it for you