This Disappears When Logged In

Irrisponsible Owners... makes me sick!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jshrad, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hello,

Well, I was scrolling through the TV Guide when I saw "Worlds Most Amazing Videos" so I had nothing better to do so I turned that on. About ten minutes in there was a snake video, a large boa in particular, we all know what this leads to.

A guy had brought his pet boa, around 7 ft in length, to a birthday party to put on a show and give people a chance to be around a large snake. No harm done right? Wrong.

First of all, he was putting the boa around peoples necks which is not recommended. Secondly, they were crowding the poor thing. Maybe 20 people were all leaning in staring at his face and grabbing at him.

The owner let another lady hold him only he was supporting his head. So what does he do? Lean down and place his nose right in front of the boas face. So guess what happens, he gets bitten! Isn't that a surprise? The boa struck his face relatively hard, losing several teeth in the process.

Because its on TV, sound effects get added in as well as half a dozen replays. Blood was everywhere making it look much much worse than it actually was. I think the boa got off worse than the guy did, no stitches were needed.

That only adds to snakes bad reputations which is horrible. Id bet that 90% of snake bites are the handlers fault, this case is no different. He was asking for it when he has multiple people crowding him and grabbing at him.

Well, this makes me sick, sorry for rambling, I just had to get it out.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

It's a shame how they portray reptiles in that way. The few that seem to ruin the hobby for most of us seem to get the most attention,,,it's so sad.

3. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Well, sadly this is one of the reasons that people are afraid of snakes. There are a lot of people in the world who have pets that shouldn't, let alone exotics or reptiles. The only way to deal with it I think is to spread reptile awareness.

4. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

Awww Josh - the poor boa. It makes me angry that people can behave like that with their animals but if something like that happens, it is always the animals fault - you never hear of anyone saying it's the owners fault for treating their animal that way.

5. angel

angel Elite Member

I hate that these things happen, much more so that they are televised with sensationalism added in. I myself have a fear of snakes in general due to a childhood experience, however do not blame the snake in that instance. All animals must be treated with respect or you can expect the worst from them. If you are rough with a dog, you may get bitten, or a horse may buck you off. Since those animals are more commonplace, the response is much more gracious.
    Angel

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

That's horrible and very sad, but it doesn't surprise me - is there ever a positive show on tv like that portraying our beautiful reptiles as the gorgeous creatures they are?! We saw a tv show the other night featuring "funny" tv moments - one was about snake charmers and another about these "cool" men eating and then regurgitating, and also putting up their noses, baby rattlers. It's a shame that the audience finds this extremely amusing - I don't think they would laugh so much if the same cruelty was put upon a cute puppy!?!

7. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Its a shame

There are alot of things about media and reptiles that make me soo very sick, it is true though alot of people will jump to defend a little puppy or a kitten over a cute little baby phython!:rolleyes: maybe someday ALL animals will get treated with the respect they deserve, though if it ever happens we are a long way off from it:( .

8. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

I think I saw it also. Was it "Betsy's Birthday Party" where the owner brings her to the bar, If it's the same one I saw, you forgot to mention that bite sized morsal within striking range! That's right people, a baby probablly no more than a year old. When he was bit he also just ripped the snake off his face which did more harm than anything

9. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hello,

Yes, that is the one. I totally forgot about the baby! Thanks for mentioning it.

10. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Animal planet actually has some shows that are very positive about snakes, the Jeff Corwin experience is one of them. He was showing a very beautiful snake on one of his episodes when some people that were native to the country in the background started to kill one of the same kind. Jeff was so angry and upset at the people and he said that snakes are really misunderstood and the particular one that was killed was completely harmless too.

11. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

National Geographic and Discovery has some good ones also. I saw a show on Animal Planet that portrayed them as evil

12. chrisandbk

chrisandbk Active Member

hello
    i realy try not to watch shows like that because i just cant stand getting so ticked off !!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.