This Disappears When Logged In

Irian Jaya Stays In Hide Box- Help

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Nuga-boa, May 16, 2016.

1. Nuga-boa

Nuga-boa New Member

I recently purchased a juvenile Irian Jaya. My favorite snake by far, but my first Morelia species. He never comes out of his hide box- like ever. When I get him out to feed him or hold him he's quite active (I have the prick marks to prove it lol) and when I place him back in his enclosure he's all over the place checking stuff out. So, why does he stay in there so much? I had read that carpets were really active so I am concerned.

2. Nuga-boa

Nuga-boa New Member

Also, this is a picture of him when I got him.

Attached Files:

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I have 2 carpets, both are inclined to spend most of their time curled up either in a hide or basking under the heat as far as I've seen. My larger/older (a bit over 2 years now) is more active than the more recent (little over 1 year) IJ, and had a much better dispostion from the start. My avatar is his (?) baby pic, never struck or bit once. The younger one on the other hand would strike at anything that moved when I first brought her home. She has calmed down considerably now, took a couple months to settle in, but now seems to realize that I'm not a threat and occasionally bring food. I sometimes find the larger one actively wanting out of his tank, while the smaller female is content to stay in hers even when the top is opened.