This Disappears When Logged In

Invasive Burms in FL!

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Microscope Jockey, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Thanks for sharing the article Heather. I'm still trying to decide if people are just stupid or if they are actually mean and quite knowledgable about the thread they are placing on the reptile they release in to the wild, and the natural wild life where the animal is released.

Not too long ago a person in south England reportedly let a load of baby corn snakes go in to the wild, as he didn't want to look after them all,. very probably most died (although snakes and reptiles are much hardier than we think!), but reports have said that soon the change in climates will mean that corn snakes could easily live and thrive in our wildlife, which could spell disaster for our wildlife and nature in the same way that the cane toad has spelled disaster for Aus, or the burm is causing problems in this article.

Thanks for spreading awareness. You might just have an impact on one more of those stupid people.

3. Todd

Todd Elite Member

Great comments, Rachel. Looks like heather beat me to this one! I just was getting ready to post this article here at HC. :) Thanks for sharing.

I want to point out to all Burm owners and prospective owners that this Florida problem of burms overrunning the ecosystem has been caused predominantly by the illegal releasing of pet burmese pythons into the wild. IT IS ILLEGAL TO RELEASE A NON-INDIGINOUS SNAKE INTO THE WILD.

There are SOOO many Burmese python owners that I have encountered. Many of them are very well intentioned and serious about herping. However, it is almost inevitable that many of these owners are going to become statistics for either attacks, or for having to give up the snake bc of it's size and care needs.

If you're considering buying a large snake, PLEASE do your research first, and/or talk with your local mod team to truly gain perspective over the magnitude of this type of undertaking. Even the most responsible of herpers will need a reminder that burms are 200+ lbs. and live for over 20 years.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

I think they are just heartless and no feelings at all for the animal they are letting go. Dont they know there are other options, other than releasing to the wild. I mean there are rescue organizations etc. People just dont think.

Like Todd said, do the research before buying, it may save a herp in the long run.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats part of the problem. There are so many people that have thoughtlessly aquired animals of this nature and are now trying to rid of themselves of the responsibility of caring for an animal that is literally eating them out of house and home and possibly has become dangerous, that there aren't always any options. The available systems are overtaxed. The rescues have more than they can deal with, the zoos don't want them, few pet stores are able to take them, and the shelters have no choice but to euthanize them. I get so crazy when I overhear someone contemplating purchasing a large snake, iguana or whatever with the attitude that when it gets big I will just sell it and make a lot of money!
    Doesn't happen that way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.