This Disappears When Logged In

Internet Sites Healthy Or Not? Unhealthy Monitors??

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by barrington, Dec 20, 2017.

1. barrington

barrington Active Member

I looked on a site called lll reptile I read a lot of reviews on this site as well as other and was fair warned not to buy from places as such I chose to any how a health lizard came to me. They gave a three day warranty which was poop to begin with I begin to see a temperament change in lizard which was a black roughneck baby his tail begin to become necrotic and fell off I took hi! To the vet to be safe as he was family ad the observed that he had flesh wounD's going up the rest of his tail into his body the gave antibiotic shot and Saab for him I called and they gave me a bunch of poop as to crickets eating tail or low humidity levels etc which I knew to be bogus the humidity in the enclosure was a constant 75-80 and I wasn't over feeding them crickets as they were babies in my heart I know they sold me a sick lizard the signs weren't there BC they went fully developed now while I'll admit that these problems could have developed my. Sav is doing extremely well thriving and eating as well as enjoying himself I'd like to know ur thoughts as well as anything g u can chime in on on the subject kind of has me afraid to get a black roughneck BC they made me feel guilty
    Now after seek g the vet and having shots my lizard passed a few days later out the blue he was soaking as vet suggested and he soaked for I'd say 2 mins before he passed on they put all the blame on u as the handler and take no responsibility they do not even want to help u refund or credit purchase to u these are crooks

2. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

How long did you have it before having to take it to the vet?

3. barrington

barrington Active Member

It was received on November 3 2017 passed a few days agotooken to vet a week ago I just feel they sold sick monitor

4. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

While it's possible you were sold a sick monitor, we should take radical accountability for an animal we take possession of and bring into our home. What can be learned here. Buying in person at a reptile expo is one way to inspect the animals health before buying from a big distributer, but you did say it arrived healthy. It doesn't make anything better to sooth yourself justifying the situation and asking an internet forum to agree "oh yea, those places are junk, you do everything right". Maybe a wellness check at a vet when you first get the pet, just like we do for puppies, to ensure its healthy on arrival. I would listen very closely to any feedback a vet gives to make sure you eliminate those possibilities in the future. If you were handling or taking the monitor out in the first few weeks at all (besides vet or health inspection), the stress could significantly impact its health and ability to fight off infection. Six weeks is enough time for a healthy lizard to get sick or to notice a lizard isn't as healthy as it should be, so it's understandable that the store can't give you money back. If we bring something into our home its our responsibility for picking where we acquire it and what happens to it. Dig deep and do beter than your best if you go for another, not write it off like a defective iphone.

5. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

Oh but as far as reptile brokers go. I wouldn't say crooks. A few hundred dollars is not unreasonable for a company whose job is to make contacts in another country, have someone in another country trap or capture wild animals, pack them in such a way that they don't all die while they cross an ocean, stabilize them for a few weeks while advertising to buyers, and ship them to our homes. That's what we are paying for. Abduction and trafficing. It's not a home-bred labrador puppy with shots and socialization and certificates. Knowing what your new pet has been through puts into perspective how vital our responsibility is towards it. I have to assume it's fighting for it's life to even make it to a doorstep.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s not always clear as to how healthy they are even if the buyer can inspect them. I`m not in America, neither have I personally dealt with the company mentioned but I can say over the years I`ve heard quite a few complaints about them, and looking at their caresheets the advise they offer is unreliable in some respects. I do agree that 6 weeks is long enough for a previously healthy animal to develop problems.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Having bought from LLL at shows a couple times before, I would say they generally try to sell healthy animals, and I doubt they would send one out knowing it was sick. That said I can almost guarantee that it was wild caught, and the importation process can do a lot of damage no one would be able to see. And a few days of warranty is more than most provide.

AmityReptiles likes this.
  8. barrington

barrington Active Member

While I didn't just write it off as an iPhone that lizards are my world I live alone this isn't so,ethi g that I'm just gonna write off I know that that oil warranty they give is unsufficienti lost a family member and it hurts so don't think I am like on hey I'm just gonna get another the problem is simple let people know what they are getti g be upfront honest this way it's at own risk do not advertise this and that etc when u call them they speak and tell u what is good to hear bcc they know what handlers want to he a my lizard I could've done somethi g wrong this I logically possible but to receive lizard and the tail to become neurotic within o e week he a somethi g was wrong I just realized to late to help my baby out secondlythis company has horrible reviews and my situation is unique I have to accept responsibility for using them after I read all this to begin with even called them beforehand and was told oh these are healthy bred this way and maintained that way when clearly these animals aren't kept up to be so stressed etc I'm just passed and go I g to get another rough neck isn't gonna ease me these companies are trash and shouldn't be allowed to sell unless in person I made a mistake one I have to own and I do I'm just upset with myself it wasn't cheap dealing with them

9. Darkbird

First, no one was belittling your pain in this, not one of us ever just goes "oh well, it died, guess I'll go get a new one" because the people here usually care about the animals they have a lot.
    Second, it's not hard at all to find bad reviews about a dealer online, most of those who write reviews only do so when they are ticked off about something, so it's easy for anyplace to generate bad reviews. Especially when a place does a ton of business like LLL does. I'm not saying they're perfect, no one could be with the volume of animals they deal with. But a place having a hundred bad reviews when they likely have done tens of thousands of orders isn't really so bad. And as for guarantees, it is pretty much the pet industry standards that live animals have little to no warranty, usually a few days at best. You will find individual breeders who may be willing to do better based on the circumstances (I will usually give as much as 30 days on the snakes I have produced) , that is the exception not the norm.
    And 3rd, and please take this as constructive criticism since that's all it is, please break your post into sentences with some punctuation and such. It can be very difficult for those trying to help to decipher a wall of text that is just a run-on sentence.
    Now if you'd like some friendly advice for next time, buy from a local reptile show whenever possible. Even if it means driving a couple hours to get there, you'll be able to see the animal in person before dropping the cash and getting it home. Shipping tends to be hard even on healthy animals, and I try and avoid it whenever possible. If attending a show is not an option, yes you'll need to research any dealer you are considering buying from. And even then you might be taking a risk. One other thing, if there is an issue, call the seller as soon as you find out. You'll have a better chance of them doing something to help you.
    Now if you'd like to discuss the details of your setup to see if there were any issues, I'd be glad to help. Sadly I don't have any recommendations for dealers, as I have a guy I trust locally who can pretty much get me anything if it's available.

murrindindi and Merlin like this.
  10. barrington

barrington Active Member

Thanks for the insight. I didn't take how u assumed but was making it known that was how I felt I admire this forum and the guys here the feed back is amazing. As for my setup I've been told all I need really is to add some more substrate in the smaller cage. The bigger cage is awesome and condusive for my sav he has long since become accustomed to his set up and co as and goes when her pleases even has dug himself elaborate underground tunnel so as soon. As I fly in which is tom I'm going to add substrate and some touches on the smaller cage. Tom from my flight when it lands it will be a day all for construction for my babies @Darkbird just thanks for the info I also will post tom the final result. Substrate using is a mix of playsand topsoil and vermiculite

11. Darkbird

Skip the vermiculite. It's not needed and can cause some issues.

12. barrington

barrington Active Member

@Darkbird now i am behind a computer and i can type and say it how i want it to be read. i hve just finished my cage and the screens and the glass i have put the black roughneck in there he is very active and alert. he is not afraid to come towrads me i an attempt to flee but for the most part is healthy and active i can tell he likes it where he is. what i am concerned about mostly is the temps so i will proceed to explain them and what they are running at as of now. i only want the best for my lizards they are my babies and all we have is each other and we live alone. currently in his basking area the tempratur theremometer reads between 90-95 and when i go to spot check withe the temp gun the area is reading anywhere from 135-150. there is also a rock in the area as well so the temp is a lil more on or around the rock although the rock and the basking area is warm to the touch with my hand. on the far end of the cage the (hot end) the thermometer reads between 80-90 degrees and when hit with the temp gun is reading this as well may be a lil more as when i checked i was changing water for lizard so the temp could have went down. in the middle of the cage the thermometer is reading 80-85 and when spot checked it is in the 80's or lower nothing out of the 80's though. on the far end (cooler end) the thermometer is reading at about 72-80 but with the temp gun is is at 75-77 these are the temps i am getting and are honest i from my reading these are ok but i take the advice from you guys over any site as you know your stuff. currently i am running the humidity at 73 and as high as 80. you have seen my cage for him i know i need more substrate and i didnt know not to go with vermiculite and is already in the cage but compared to the topsoim and playsand mix you can not see it i did not use alot and i am glad now so i will not use that again. also i have read that roughnecks love crayfish and i do want to very in the diet so is this acceptable and if so do you know a place to get them? how do i feed these to the monitor in the water a dish or so i do know seafood has a tendency to go bad quickly thank for all the help and for you advice

13. Darkbird

It sounds like your temps and humidity are fine. As for feeding, get a pair of tongs and feed off those if the monitor will take food that way. Not only do you get to see them eat then, they start to calm down more and see you as the source of food, so it is a good first step towards taming. Do NOT use your fingers to hand a monitor food. Even bites from small monitors hurt, and as they grow they can get to where they can do serious damage, so you don't want one confusing fingers for food. If it won't take food off the tongs or you don't have time for some reason, just leave the food in a dish in the cage. I use glazed ceramic dishes with smooth sides bugs can't climb easily. The crayfish should be fine, but I can't really help you on sources. I get minnows from the bait shop for my aquatic turtles, and most of my monitors seem to enjoy eating the dead ones if I get any.

14. barrington

barrington Active Member

thank i appreciate the advice most of what said already i am doing. the roughnecks are to them sleves and i can see the difference from a sav. my roghneck likes to bask and when not doing that he likes to just hide in a burrow so feeding him is a bit difficult he when out will let me hold him and will stay in my arm for as long as i will hold him which is pretty great already. right now he is a foot and a half give or take a few inches

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi I`m a bit confused, I thought you said the Rough necked monitor had passed (died) have you bought another?
    Crayfish are fine to feed on a regular basis (but do not offer them live). Can you get a few photos of the monitor and enclosure as they are right now (without forced handling)?

16. barrington

barrington Active Member

@murrindindi hey how are you doing? well i got a question or two and i am going to try to phrase them correctly for you to understand proper. well in my enclosure one of the light went out and it was one of the par 38 flood lights. so in the meantime until i could get to the store to replace the light that was damaged i put in the red light i think it was a 150 w or maybe a 100 w i dont know? but what i noticed in both enclosures is that the monitors came out a little more and gravitated toward where the red lights were . (yes a light went out in both enclosures) this i liked and looked at as positive correct? well today i realized that one of the enclosures ambient temp or temp read on a digital thermometer 104 and that was in the basking area. on the low end it is reading 88-89 they are functioning well and all but i wanted to make sure this was correct and this is in the enclosure of the black roughneck i hope i am in range to not be doing damage but though that i would ask @Darkbird
    also for a bit more information on the end that is at 104 when i spot temp check it it is at about 127-135 and i know that this is not a bad but good thing on the low end spot check temp is at 80

17. Darkbird

Typically I only worry about 3 numbers, basking site temp as read with a temp gun, cool end ambient temp measured with a digital thermometer, and humidity measured at th cool end with a digital hygrometer. Ambient temps and humidity are always going to be off on the basking end since that's where the main heat source for the cage is. The main thing is to ensure the animal has a cool place to retreat to so they can properly thermoregulate. Usually your going to want to have an area as low as 75°, even if that is down in a burrow, but since I keep the house at 73° and don't use any night heat sources in my cages, I just let them cool off at night and they seem to do fine. Some of the cages stay around 80 during the day. Hardly ever see the monitors in those spots though.