This Disappears When Logged In

Interesting Experience at the Creek

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by gapeachkatie, Jun 13, 2012.

1. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

While at Line Creek tonight, I had a run in with several types of critters. A few snapping turtles (regular and alligator), a couple skinks enjoying the mud along the creek, tad poles galore, and hundreds of basking Fence Lizards. I also had a run in with a timber rattlesnake. I had stepped down onto a out cropping in the rocks, heard the rattle, and jumped to the next rock down (cut and banged up my leg pretty good in the process) and then watched it retreat under the rock some more as it stared me down. I am guessing it was a she, pretty big girth wise and length wise (easily big enough to eat a large adult squirrel). Had gorgeous pattern and color to her, a silverish grey with jet black markings and silver eyes. Sadly, where she hid and my lack of nerve to reach my hand into the hole, I couldn't get a picture to turn out, only got one of her outline to come out, but it was still blurred and distorted from the mix of lighting.

I will admit that the run in with the rattler was very unexpected and startling, but thankfully my dog was more interested in the lizards than what I was doing. However, this has me wondering how many close encounters I have had without even realizing it on my walks out there at least twice a week. *eek*

Some pics:
    Can you find the fence lizard? lol
    fence lizard.jpg

this is the area where I ran into the Timber Rattlesnake. Perfect place for it to bask and be camouflaged against the rocks.
    0524121853.jpg

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Those are awesome looking rocks! Glad that she didn't get you, play safe while your out and about

3. gapeachkatie

That place is so beautiful and has so many little hiding places for anything and everything. I am relieved she didn't get me with how close I came to stepping on her, and learned my lesson about not looking where I step out there.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Thats a fat and happy Swift :)

5. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Looks like an amazing place to hang out; I wish we had places like that down here. However, like Michele stated play safe while you’re out...

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

What a beautiful area! I'm glad you didn't get nipped... also glad your dog was too busy to notice!!

7. gapeachkatie

J, that place is AMAZING! It is a four mile long nature area along Line Creek (which is really a river) and the wild life is nearly overwhelming because it is one of the few untouched areas in that part of the county.

Andrea, you have no clue how much relief I felt when I noticed my dog on the other side of the rocks and for her being obedient. All I had to do was call out "halt" and she stopped mid-stride just staring at me like I was crazy! lol

Down side to this, I have to go to the doctor a little later today for the cut I got on my leg while jumping off that part of the rocks. The entire back of my leg has become swollen, tender, and is bruising up/knotting from the back of my knee down to mid-calf around the cut. Seems like an infection has already set in. :(

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Katie! Be sure to wash your cut with soapy water then disinfect with betadine, after that put some Neosporin on it! You should also bump up your temps and maintain proper humidity ;)

9. gapeachkatie

HAHAHA!! I will be sure to do that! I wonder why my doctor didn't recommend that?!?!? Leave it to me to have a severe infection occur over a silly little scratch. (which caused them to want to test for necrotizing fasciitis-wooohoo)

Update on the creek itself- one of the local papers actually ran a story warning people about an increase in rattlesnakes and copperheads in the area. Claiming it as a "feel good scare factor" for anyone that is outdoorsy, and that "the public should be more aware of possible venomous snake encounters."

10. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Wow I am so scarred of my dog running into rattlesnakes. It is my biggest fear in the woods.

11. gapeachkatie

I ran into another rattlesnake, just this one was a pygmy, and obviously a hatchling, at another creek I walk at. I walk every night, and tonight I came across the pygmy just outside of my neighborhood. This is getting to be a bit more concerning to me, usually I can go a whole year with only seeing one, but now I have seen two in a week, and came close to stepping on both. It is bad enough having a painful infection in my leg, but it would become a curse if I do end up getting bit in the leg before the weekend is over. lol

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Boots and pants! Don't forget your walking stick too, and be careful

13. gapeachkatie

Yes Mama Michele! Or... Just start walking on the roads. :( Also, I realized I called the baby a hatchling, when rattlesnakes have live births. It was either from mama snake giving birth early due to the weather this year (already reached the normal end of july temps) or a super small juvenile from last summer.