This Disappears When Logged In

Info on a boa plz

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by HerpboyNY, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

A new REPTILES magazine came in the mail yesterday. I was doing my little scan through that i do when I first get it and became hooked on a snake instsantly. This would be the Viper Boa. There's only a little info, can anybody provide more or find a source?

Thanx

2. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Try google or yahoo! I'm sure you'll find lot's of info there!

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I have had some "hands on" experience with viper boas, a local pet shop had one that they claimed "was very aggressive". My personal opinion is that these snakes are not for beginners, they are very defensive and apt to strike. They seem shy and seclusive and do not like being handled. Of course as with all animals there are some exception, however if you are looking for a hands on snake, I wouldn't recommend the viper boa.

They are a pretty snake though, and if you are only going to have it for looking than it should be ok, just remember it still needs to be handled for cleanings and feedings.

4. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

just for the records, I'm a beginner on this site, not at all with herps. I've worked with herps all my life and have kept fairly difficult species. I'm only posting this thread because i feel i am capable of keeping a difficult snake.

5. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

Im sure jay wasnt saying that you werent capeable, just that you should be very careful dealing with a Viper Boa since he has some expirience with it. Ive been working with herps for close to 12 years now and have taken some pretty nasty bites and scratches because I was handling an animal that frankly didnt want to be handled, Im sure this site is FULL of expirienced keepers who have similar stories as well, point being even expirienced herpers can "bite off more than they can chew" remember we're dealing with wild animals no matter what and you have to be careful, especially when the species is know to be aggresive.

6. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Herpboy, my statement was a general one and in no way aimed at you. Even with many years of handling herps I was a little uneasy with the viper boa.

7. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Hi there

I like the Viper Boa too and have in the past thought of buying one, I think that all of the Candoia are beautiful..Check out the link below..

http://www.kingsnake.com/candoia/

Hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.