This Disappears When Logged In

Indian Sand Boas

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by ColdBloodedEmbrace, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, I'm new here. I was just wondering if anyone has had/has an indian sand boa? I was just given one, and there is literally no resources or breeders for this species that I can find.

It's a male, 4-5 years old, about 22" long, gorgeous color (for his species, I was told), really docile. I think he's pretty, though from what I can find they're not often in the pet trade because natural ones are 'ugly' and boring colored.

I've been out of reptiles for a few years and have been researching snakes again recently - mostly about BCI and Brazilian rainbows, because those are the two I'm interested in getting soon here. Quite different from sand boas, let alone a relatively unheard of species of them. :)

I actually got him for free. I work in the bio department at my college, and an instructor worked with him on some sort of snake DNA project, and no longer needed him. He wasn't ever really handled - provided for, but not babied or anything. He was in a patchy shed when I got him and hadn't been fed in 17+ days (spring break), so I gave him a feed the day I got him home, which I was surprised to see him eat greedily with all the stress of moving. Yesterday I gave him a soak after which his patchy shed came off nicely for him. I got some pics after his soak and shed. He's pretty docile, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I'm not much help in this situation but that is one good looking snake.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have never heard of an Indian sand boa! That's an interesting looking snake!

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I just googled them and here's the first site that came up

Indian Sand Boa

5. Yeah that link is literally the ONLY resource I can find. :( I've googled them 'for sale' and for 'breeders', because I'd like to find a breeder to talk to about them, but they're impossible to find. I even found a breeder pair on kingsnake.com, emailed the seller to see if he was a breeder - neither him or the guy he got them from were.

Thanks guys, I'm enjoying him so far. Because I'm not that creative, his name's Johnii. :)

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I was just looking at the search again and Jason's jungle breeds them and he says he got his from another breeder named Scott Miller.

Hope this helps a little :)

7. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Interesting find their y'rea lot less common than the Kenya sand boas but care is the same. The best tip I can give is to offer a water bowl only about 2 times a week so the humidity of the cage is kept low and that males may only eat about 6-10 meals in a year, so no worries if he's not eating right away.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

9. I'm liking this site more and more. :)

Thanks guys, lots of help. Thanks for the breeder link, that's exactly what I was looking so hard for. :)

10. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

See I told ya :p you won't be able to stump this site. Glad you found help you really have a pretty snake!

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

lol Kendalle, I just googled it and did some surfing :p

12. I got ahold of Jason's Jungle, he doesn't breed them anymore. He said I likely got ahold of one of the Staub Line Sunset Indians, though. :)

He gave me a name, Scott Miller, as a breeder who produces a ton of sand boas... Off to do some digging! :)

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I find.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Nice looking snake! and I can't blame anyone for wanting a Brazilian rainbow. I couldn't resist either.

Good luck in your searches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.