This Disappears When Logged In

Indian Python

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by boidaesplace, Nov 5, 2013.

1. boidaesplace

boidaesplace Well-Known Member

Posting here because we do have a python I didn't see listed here. We have 2 pure Indian Rock Pythons, Rajan and Smiles.
    They are pure Python Molurus Molurus, and we've been finding that they are quite rare.
    The male is at 10', he is "Rajan" (the Indi word for "King")
    The female is at 8', she is "smiles" , my word for her personality.
    They have both been probed for sexing so we are sure what they are!
    I'll get some pictures posted soon as I can, and we'll share whatever info we can, and hope to hear from you guys, hopefully learning some more. We have done extensive research on these guys, but I'm sure there is more to be gleaned from here, so we're looking foward to sharing!
  2. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Man those sound so cool! I'd never even heard of those but google is awesome. Please post some pictures ASAP!!!! Where did you get them? Planning on breeding? What are their dispositions like?
  3. boidaesplace

Thanks, yes, they are awesome animals! We picked up the male at a reptile expo in Denver, he was one of those random "wow, gotta have him!" deals.(poor guy had to live in a plastic tub for two weeks while we set up an enclosure big enough for him!) The female came about recently by chance. We have been networking with area shops, one manager at a local reptile store was mentioning to one of his breeders that he knew someone who had a male Indian, seems he had this female he was sitting on, so it seemed like one of those 'it was meant to be' situations, so we purchased her a few weeks ago.
    Disposition wise, they are gentle as kittens! Like all larger snakes they can be a handful, that much snake moving around is crazy, but they're great; Rajan is definitely the king, and we can always tell his mood by his facial expressions, he has his happy face and his determined "I'm hungry" face. Smiles is always happy, and very curious about everything, a real sweetheart. We have been surprised they are not more popular, especially considering their size, coming in a little smaller than the more popular Burmese Pythons, but still big enough to satisfy any large snake lover. Understood there are way too many restrictions in many states, but they are obviously obtainable, we have two! And we are definitely hoping to breed, Rajan come from a breeder who claimed he was a proven breeder, so we're hoping this is true. We'll definitely be getting more pics up as we get plugged in here!

090120133969.jpg 102420134217.jpg few pics 001.jpg
    Hopefully these come through. If you look in front of the truck you can see Rajan in the yard, the truck gives a good perspective for length! Then a friend is holding Rajan, as you see he's a handful! Then the smaller female Indian I'm holding, this was the night we brought her home!
  4. thinkbig317

thinkbig317 Elite Member

5. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

WoW!!! They are amazing looking!!
  6. boidaesplace

We'll give you a little information on the Indians, more if interested later. If anyone else has something we'd love to hear about it!
    I get the feeling not many people know too much about these critters, that includes others we've encountered at shows and here locally.
    There are two subspecies of the Python Molurus (Asian Python) The Indian Python (Python Molurus Molurus) and the Burmese Python (Python Molurus Bivittatus) Some rule in a third subspecies Python Pimbura, also known as the Sri Lankan Rock Python, found only in Sri Lanka, but most taxonomists don't recognize this as a legit species, but rather consider them to be Python Molurus Molurus.
    The Indian Rock Python originates in India,Pakistan,Sri Lanka and Nepal, the Burmese Rock Python habitates Myanmar east through southern Asia to southest China and Indonesia (including Burma, hence the Burmese Python!)
    There is also alot of confusion as to how to identify the two subspecies, but they really are quite easy.
    The Indian Pythons are typically lighter in color, the head markings are also normally distinct; the Burms have an arrow shape which is usually distinct, the Indians also have an arrow marking, yet it tends to diminish as it nears the nose area.
    There is also a difference in size, Burmese Pythons are the larger of the two (the problem in the everglades!) and the Indians are the smaller, males usually reaching 10-12 feet, females around 15 feet. During an expedition to confirm the two subspecies it was also found there is a distinct difference in the scale patterns around the eyes.
    So there is a little mini fact sheet for ya! We've found very little information anywhere for these guys, so if anyone else has some scoops we'd love to hear from you!
  7. boidaesplace

Checking through other threads we noticed a bit of confusion regarding temperament of some of the larger rock pythons. Our experience has been favorable with ours and those we've been in contact with as far as Indian and Burmese Pythons. I've heard some people (including a contact from the Woodlands Park Zoo, who also have and Indian Python) say the Indians don't have the docile temperament the Burms do, but our Indians are totally chill. We've also heard the Green Tree Pythons can be very aggressive, and they are, feeding wise, but they can be handled successfully if you do it with respect. We think the one which consistently gets the rap for aggressiveness is the African Rock python, but like any reptile, it's usually how the handler approaches the animal.(and yes the Africans do have a bit of attitude compared with other Rocks..)
    In all animals, there are always some with an attitude that won't go away. One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch..right?
    We have the utmost respect for the folks on, (you tube) Being large breeders they also understand there are some reptiles that even they won't put up for sale due to attitude issues, including some of the larger ones. They still take these animals out weekly for exercise, in spite of their behavior, and make sure they have a decent life.(They're still beautiful animals!) Understanding the nature of the beast is everything!
    Hopefully everyone considers these things before investing in a long term pet!
  8. boidaesplace

Thought we would throw out a few pictures of some projects as they progress. One is the new enclosure we're working on for smiles, the new female Indian Rock Python. The other is our ongoing quest to become self sufficient in the rodent department. 110420134298.jpg 110420134299.jpg garage and she 002.jpg 110820134309.jpg 110820134313.jpg The display case is what we started with, it was a freebie from craigslist! We broke it down to just the metal frame, installed 1/2" maple plywood, we used several coats of enamel inside (which will dry and cure for about 2 weeks!) We drilled the holes in the lower part for vents, and covered with 1/4" screen, then we taped off everything and we're now working on prime and painting the frame. That"s a little backwards as we should have done the frame first, but the end result will be the same (just a little extra work!)

110620134307.jpg 110620134306.jpg 100320134129.jpg 100320134136.jpg 101320134162.jpg
    These are some shots of our rodent hut! The larger rack with black tubs we house the rats in. They have been producing rapidly and we're getting close to being self sufficient with them. The mice not so much! we know we've miss-paired many of them due to they keep killing each other off, so we assume that"s because we've males together. We're working on seperating them and trying the 1 male to several females...if anyone has tips on breeding mice we'd appreciate it!
  9. boidaesplace

Almost done with smiles enclosure, enough to get her into though! Now we're working on getting enough space in our reptile room to get her in there!
    We also plan on putting Rajan and Smiles together soon to see if we can get some action going!
    120920134468.jpg 120920134468.jpg 120820134457.jpg
    We're using a heat panel for her basking area, also have a small infra red nite lamp on the side to help out some, the frame is from an old jewelry display case, and we used 1/2" maple plywood, except one side where we had to use some left over 3/8" ply, since we ran out of the maple!:-& She's a happy girl getting out of her 75 gallon tank! Her favorite time is once a week we put her in the tub full of luke warm water, she'll spend at least an hour in there swimming around!
  10. boidaesplace

DSC_0161.jpg DSC_0161.jpg @ DSC_0140.jpg
    A few pics from some of our show and tells. We took Rajan and Smiles to a local reptile shop, and to Denver Co. For the monthly Colorado Herpetological Society meeting. They are always a hit!
  11. boidaesplace

Ok, so the pics didn't work out so well, 3 of them I downloaded didn't go through and one duplicated..?
    Sorry bout that, I'll try again!
  12. boidaesplace

tmp_DSC_0153862900725.jpg tmp_DSC_01371789575668.jpg tmp_DSC_01521644287334.jpg hope these are better!