This Disappears When Logged In

Indentify My Corn?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by humvee256, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalbabylover

royalbabylover Elite Member

When I have a newcomer I usually leave it for 5days+ before feeding.
    I don't handle for 2 days after feeding and with new comers not until they are well settled.
    Corns usually settle into a new environment pretty quickly.

How big is it?? If a hatchling then I would feed every 4-5 days and handle just before the feed is due.
    I know that people have different opinions but I like to get my corns 'grown-on' in the first 6-9 months and then settle them into a weekly feeding regime.

RBL

2. humvee256

humvee256 Member

She is almost to the exact marking of 1 foot on my ruler, just a hair more. They did not know how old she was, but cannot be too old at that size.

Is it normal behavior for them to spend most of their time under the bedding?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes. Young snakes hide a lot. Since everything that comes along would eat them given the chance it is in the best interest of their survival to stay out of sight.
    Corns are also more active in the evening and at night.

4. royalbabylover

royalbabylover Elite Member

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Just a bubba then. I can remember when mine were that small.
    I had a hold of a newly hatched coral corn the other day at my friends house.
    It was so tiny I was frightenend I might break it. It can't have been more than 7 inches long and less than half the width of my little finger.
    I'm glad my hatchlings are a bit bigger before I get them!!!!

RBL

5. humvee256

humvee256 Member

I stay up until about 4 in the morning, and I've noticed that the snake is most active from 10pm-11pm, then he/she goes right back under the bedding and it seems it moves around alot under there.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As the snake settles in and gets more used to things that may change.
    Mine are wandering around at all hours of the day and night.
    A couple of them are watching me right now!

7. humvee256

humvee256 Member

Last night the activity was definatly better. At 10 the lights go out in the cage, and he started with his head sticking straight up 3" out of the bedding (have never seen this before). Then around 10:30 he started moving around. It was a good 3 or 4 hours before he decided that it was time to go back underground. I guess he is starting to get used to his surroundings.

Is it natural for a Corn to have it's whole body underground and poke its head straight out? It's kind of interesting and humorous to see.

8. a_god_s

a_god_s Member

I know what you mean about corns getting active at night. I had gotten a "night light" (they can't see that spectrum of light) and I was able to watch all three of them cruising around. It is fun to watch them poke their heads out of their hides and climb the branches. Caught one soaking ... way cool.

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

my corns love being buried and having just their heads poking out. or they'll be all curled up inside their hides and just poke their heads out to see what's going on. its comical. my mom finds it hilarious to go into my room and see that. :D

10. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Congrats on your new cornn and welcome to HC, definately an amel like all say i have 2 the same :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.