This Disappears When Logged In

Incandescent Heat/Light

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by iturnrocks, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

A California lawmaker wants to make his state the first to ban incandescent lightbulbs as part of California's groundbreaking initiatives to reduce energy use and greenhouse gases blamed for global warming.

I wonder if anyone has mentioned to him that heat from light is not always a bad thing, especially for basking animals.

California may ban conventional lightbulbs by 2012 - Yahoo! News

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yep! lets ignore all the gas guzzling SUV's, big trucks, busses, and every other fuel IN-effecient vehicle as well as the factories and everything else that is spewing contamination into the atmosphere.
    Getting rid of those 60 watt light bulbs will sure cure the problem!

3. iam_a_legend06

iam_a_legend06 Well-Known Member

the world of today has truly gone mad

4. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Hey Merlin dont forget the 20 watt night light lol.

5. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

I've always hated light.
    Go communism.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

And these are the people in government.:confused:

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And the funny part(well not so funny) is that the bulbs they want to replace them with,( the compact flourescents) come with a nice little warning notice on the side of them stating that they contain mercury! So we are now to fill up the landfills with mercury which will end up in our water supply.

8. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

It'll grow hair on your chest.

9. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Im not saying its a bad thing to require the new bulb for lighting. I just hope they make an exception for those who need it.

California does other things to cut down on greenhouse gases. I believe they are trying to pass a law that prohibits California from buying electricity from other states that comes from coal-fired power plants.

Incandescent bulbs as a source of light are very inefficient. I use the new kind for applications where I want light without all the heat, also a 23 watt bulb puts out as much light as a 100 watt incandescent.
    It takes 714 pounds of coal turn burn a 100 watt incandescent bulb 24 hours a day for 1 year.

A typical 500 megawatt coal power plant produces 3.5 billion kWh per year. That is enough energy for 4 million 100 watt light bulbs to operate year round.

2000 census of california shows 33 million people. If everyone only used the equivalent of 1 light bulb, it would take 8+ coal fired power plants just to keep them on.

Howstuffworks "How much coal is required to run a 100-watt light bulb 24 hours a day for a year?"

If Californians only used the equivalent of 1 100 watt bulb operating 24 hours a day, and they switched to compact fluorescents, we could shut down 6 coal burning power plants.

I imagine actual numbers of incandescents used in the state of California far exceeds this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.