This Disappears When Logged In

[in]Breeding Mice

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Coffey, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Coffey

Coffey New Member

Hello all! I'm new to HC, and breeding mice.

I have a question on breeding mice. I'm planning to get 1 male and 4 females. Once a colony is established, is it critical to bring in new blood for breeding? Unsure (and can't find anything) on inbreeding mice, it seems logical that I'd need to continuously make sure I buy new breeders, but I really just don't know.

Would it hurt to inbreed mice? Hope someone here could help.

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I don't think it would hurt, but probably benefit them and make them more healthy.... as in nature they are continuously exposed to new blood..... just my opinion.....

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

You will definitely need to bring new blood in fron time to time. Typically what most people do is wait until they start to see a decrease in litter size/ health of litters, then bring in some new males and retire and feed off most of the present breeder males and females. You could certainly be proactive and do this before you start seeing issues develope, but its not strictly speaking necessary

4. stoutm89

stoutm89 New Member

I have been breeding mice going on ten years now and yes you need to bring in new blood just like with any creature on this earth with out it you will have problems because if one gets something they all will since they all will have the same and most likely a weakened immune system I make a practice of bringing in at least 2 new females every three months or so and males every 4 to 6 but within that I also feed off my males every 4 to 6 generations and bring up one of the younger males between replacing with new blood haven't had any problems with cannibalism or deformation or still births this whole time only had to replace whole stock once due to disease brought in by a couple of mice given to me by a person that didn't want them as pets any more(and that was within the first year and a half of starting). I also use aspen bedding which I have come to realize helps alot with smell in combination with weekly cleaning and mid week cleaning if for some reason the bedding gets overly saturated I also have had good luck using range cubes from my local coop with mixed seeds snack every other week. All the luck to you with your colony

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Seems like 6 generations inbreeding starts getting weird. Tumors start popping up at this point(ish) so you want to feed off groups every so often. I watch for cool looking mice at pet shops and add interesting colors or attitudes to my system regularly. As stated above culling off older colonies keeps things from getting "stale".