This Disappears When Logged In

Im So Confused ?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by hailyjc, Jan 21, 2012.

1. hailyjc

hailyjc Active Member

Ok so i took both my ball pythons to the vet about a month ago, when i was there i had them both sexed . When the vet stuck the probe in the snake it did not go very far in and he said it was a male for both. But i watched some probeing videos and every video that i watched when they probed the snake the probe went in pretty far and they said it was a male , then the people on the video probed a female and when they stuck the probe in , the probe only went in a little was . I am very confused will some one please tell me if the vet was wrong ? i really need to know it i have 2 boy,2girls, or a boy and a girl . thanks so much :)

2. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

If there full grown then you will also see spurs if there real prodominent then there males if there little then there females.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not an owner, but to me a good breeder would know how to probe better than a vet!

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Unfortunately the size of the spurs are not always accurate. There is no reliable way to tell the sex from looking at anything on the outside of the snake.
    You are correct that the probe goes in less far for females and further for males: the question is how far is "further"?
    Females probe a distance of 2-4 subcaudal scales and males 8 or more. It is measured by putting the probe in and marking it with your thumbnail or fingernail, then taking it out and measuring it along the bottom of the snake's tail and counting the length in scales.
    If your vet was not comfortable with probing, s/he may have been extra cautious and not put the probe in all the way. If you are careful and insert it slowly, you will feel when it stops.
    I would suggest finding a local breeder and having your animals checked again.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not always true. My female has spurs just like the males. There really is no reliable visual way to sex them.

6. hailyjc

hailyjc Active Member

i just need to find a breeder in iowa :/

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Do you know if your vet was a reptile vet or just one that does it all. I have two of the best reptile vets in the country in my area, that's all they do ( I know I'm lucky). Maybe you can find one that specializes in your area. Though most good breeders are really nice and I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out. What my vet told me agrees with what everyone else is saying. Short it's a female, the longer it goes it's a male. Apparently they need the room to store their "junk" is what I've been told ;)

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

JUst because someone will probe them does not mean that they actually know what they are doing.

9. hailyjc

hailyjc Active Member

he says he breeds snakes and that he bred ball pythons for years so thats what im confused bout he says he bred them and the probe only went in a couple of subscales and called them a male ?

10. JasBalls

JasBalls Well-Known Member

your vet is 100% wrong. listen to Merlin and blackjack.