This Disappears When Logged In

I'm Getting Worried

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by kittirain, Sep 27, 2014.

1. kittirain

kittirain Member

Hi, I have a baby milk snake. I've had him for a couple of months now and he's eating fine, even shed with no problems... However, I haven't seen him drink any water since I got him.

I have two corn snakes, and they are much older, they both like to take long drinks from their water bowls.

I know I might just be missing seeing him drink, and probably don't need to worry, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on how to encourage him to drink some water.

2. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Well.. You can't make a snake drink water, and i'm almost positive when you're sleeping, he's drinking some water. I've seen my snake drink water only a couple times, yet he shows no sign of dehydration. No need to worry. the only thing I could think of is put him by the water bowl so he at least knows it's there, or maybe put him inside of the water bowl. Just keep an eye out in case he becomes dehydrated. Maybe next time when he's in shedding phase, soak him in luke warm water in a small enough container to where his head can be kept above the water. I've seen my snake drink water while I soaked him. Try not to worry too much.

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

If you feed frozen thawed you can soak the rodents before feeding, which will guarantee done water intake. You could also try spritzing some water on the sidrs of the tank or dome cage furniture and see if he will lap up the droplets

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If there is water in the tank, he is drinking. Many snakes are reluctant to drink in front of you till they get a bit more used to your presence.

5. kittirain

kittirain Member

Thank you all for your answers! =^.^=

I don't normally worry so much over my snakes, but I've not had a baby before (got my two corns when they were three)

I'll keep an eye out for signs of dehydration!

Thanks again

6. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

You're very welcome. I know what it's like to worry about the smallest things when it comes to my baby, so I know how you were feeling lol.
    I just saw him drink yesterday out of his bowl. It's a really interesting thing to watch, so hopefully you can witness that some day :).

7. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I understand your concern, but if you've had the snake for months and he's doing well he has to be drinking enough water. Set up a cheap webcam and record the water bowl, use a red light bulb if you need more light at night.