This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by labelleninirose, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yes, reptiles are considered an exotic pet!

2. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

Exactly why I called the closest one :) They are very hard to find where I live

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What area do you live in? Maybe someone here is close and can make a recommendation.

4. labelleninirose

I live in La Pocatière in the province of Québec. The vet I found is in Québec city which in my case is about a 2-hour drive

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I really think it is your best bet to get a Vet assessment. She has been through horrible trauma in the past and I would hate for us to mislead you and do more damage to her.

In the meantime, be sure she has plenty of different foods to choose from and she may just eat a little. But a little is better than nothing.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I can back that up!! And trust me it's not pretty when it works.

Do you have a nesting box at all? If it's a she than maybe it will calm her to have a nest to dig around in

7. labelleninirose

Yes I will let you guys know. For now she is not eating and no, she does not have a nesting box. It's really hard to find a Vet who knows something about reptiles around here. The best I found yet was in Quebec City, so this is why I took an appointement there for Saturday. I gave her some canned pumpkin (and made pies with the rest hehehe) hasn't gone yet :( She still throws herself off the branches and still wont even touch her food. I tried a lot of different things and she is just not interested. Even her favorite chow (bananas) is not interesting her. For now I will go see the Vet to see what she tells me to do with this. Maybe I should keep on giving her some pumpkin? or Apple sauce? till saturday. I will find some sort of a nest thing that I could use. I am really worried....

8. schlegelbagel

I'd see if you can't get a nesting box together tonight. Something as simple as a cat box, a place where she can dig.

9. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I would imagine that even if you can't find something to use as a box right away, just putting a bunch of EE in that she can dig in, might help. Just a thought. Don't know if it would work or not.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Or just get a large sterilite tub and put some soil in it. Cut a hole in the top just big enough to allow her access.

11. labelleninirose

I found something that may work, I found a throw away liter box that I never used when I first got cats...I could just remove the liter in it and add some coco fiber. good or not good idea, comment :)

12. schlegelbagel

I think the idea is that it needs to make a cave, hence why we suggested the covered litter box. A large storage tote with a hole in it would work too. It can't hurt to try the kitty box though. If it doesn't do the job, them move to something else.

13. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

She sounds very sick. I am concerned about her "throwing herself off branches". If these are convulsions, her nervous system is compromised, in which case nothing is working right, including her digestive system.

Saturday can't come soon enough for this poor girl.

14. labelleninirose

Well I'm sorry, I'm doing my best....I'd like to point out that this iguana was dropped by someone on my lawn and was run over by a lawn mower! I could have just killed her there but I didn't and I took her to a Vet to get her better. I paid close to $1000 to build her a huge cage, not to mention how my electric bill went up with the lighting and heating. I'm sorry if I seem like a bad owner to you. I'm still learning ya know. And btw I go to college and I can't go to the Vet during the week cause first off, I can't drive, second off I live 2 hours from this exotics Vet, third going to the Vet is not an excuse to my teachers to miss a class. I would have gone this week if I could, but none of my teachers saw it as an excuse to miss a class. I'm doing my best!

15. schlegelbagel

I don't think anyone is criticizing you. There are lots of people that would just sit there and do nothing! You a have an appointment for the soonest you can get her there!

16. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

No, no, no, no, no! Please, you misunderstand me.

I think you are doing EVERYTHING you can! We're so glad for that.

My statement was just in general about her health. She needs help and I am so thankful you are willing to get it for her. If Saturday is the day, then Saturday it is!

Please, keep up the good work. She needs you to be strong and confident that she will get better! :)

17. labelleninirose

It's alright. I just got upset because it's really hard to get help for reptiles here, and plus I live so far from big cities where they usually are located. I just took it as if I wasn't doing anything and that she might die. To be honest I don't think she has convulsions or however you spell that, you have to remember, she has 3 legs with only two of those legs having claws to grip on things...so I'm thinking shes just falling down with all her excessive scratching. I have the book Green Iguana the ultimate owners Manual and I read up about her symptoms, and it looks more this is caused from maybe an internal parasite or being gravid. I need a vet to diagnose this. Anyways I will keep you posted. No hard feelings. I guess I just took it the wrong way.

Sorry Dom :)

18. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

It's quite alright. I just want to help you get your iguana better.

Ok, I forgot about the whole 3-legged thing, so yeah, she could just be losing her grip and falling. She is probably weaker from not eating, so that makes sense.

If she is gravid, it's not good for her to be climbing around. You see, the eggs take extra calcium from her and her bones are weaker, so a fall could easily break rib or leg bones. Is it possible to make some kind of ramps for her to climb up, just to reduce the risk of falling?

If she is gravid, not eating can be a sure sign that eggs are coming soon. I think putting some top soil or something for her to dig in would be very helpful for her. It might entice her to lay out the eggs and get over this thing.

If you suspect parasites, be sure to bring a fresh poop sample to the Vet if possible. Anything within 24-hours of pooping should be good. If not, they may have to "take" a sample there, much more difficult. LOL! A fecal float is a relatively inexpensive test that can detect parasites. Though generally I think parasites would cause her to eat and not gain weight. But, the test is well worth the $$.

Only a couple of days away now and I am thinking about you and her all the time. Good luck. I am anxious to hear about the Vet visit!

19. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Some normal vets will do a parasite check in iguana poo even if they don't normally do iguana things, like they don't do surgery and things but do parasite screenings. Maybe that's just around here though. I don't know.

20. labelleninirose

Thank you for your concern Dom. :) It's nice to have someone think about you and your own pet. :) I'll let you know for sure when I get back from the vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.