This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by labelleninirose, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

Hello! well my 3 year old iguana has not eaten for a few days now. I am getting worried....I gave him some olive oil last night too see if he might be impacted...he did a small poop this morning but it was not at all a normal size for him...for those who know who I am my iguana was droped on my lawn 2 years ago and was run over by a lawn mower...he lost a leg and a huge part of his tail. he lives in a cage that I built, and has a uvb fluorescent and an UBV uva bulb. so he is always nice and warm. I feed him usualy some mixed greens with some carrots and apples and bananas. he eats berries too sometime...He just stopped eating and is acting very oddly in his cage...he keeps scratching on the wires and then throws himself down off his branchs (or maybe he just loses foot) if anyone could have an idea of what is wrong with him please let me know, I'm going to take him to a vet this week if he does not eat in the next 24 hours. So any info would help me :)

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Have you tried soaking him in a warm bath to get things moving? Also, canned pumpkin is the best laxative out there, and I hear they love it.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Is it for sure he is a he? The constant scratching could be a sign of breeding season behavior.
    And Liz is right.
    Canned pumpkin is the Exlax of the Iguana world.

4. labelleninirose

His cage is made out of wood and chicken wire...he keeps scratching the chicken wire, climbs up and down from it...then throws himself down from the branches....he just wont eat...nothing...I tried all sorts of different fruits and veggies and wont even touch them. Any other idea what he could have??? He has no broken bones or anything abnormal. He looks pretty healthy! I'll take a pic and post it to show you.

5. schlegelbagel

Ugh, you need to replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth. Its woven and square. Chicken wire can cut off toes!!!

Try the pumpkin. And he does sound like he's having a "mood" change with all the scratching. Is he changing color? And you are SURE he is a "he"?

And how old is your UVB bulb? Just trying to cover the basics here...

6. labelleninirose

UVB bulb is 8 months old. Yeah we think he might be female because of the pores under his legs.

Here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. labelleninirose

For color changes I did realize he or she is turning more brown...Should I take him to a vet anyways??? For someone who did not eat in the past few days he sure is active.

8. schlegelbagel

Can you snap a photo of the vent area. I'm sure our ig keepers could help you out. A vet visit can't hurt and it can give you a peace of mind. And if it IS a girl, you'll have to give her a lay box for her eggs.

OH, and you DO have hardware cloth! So that's good!

9. labelleninirose

10. labelleninirose

Hope these will help. :)

Ok well I'm off to my classes I'll be back at noon to see what people will say.

Hmmm she has been doing the scratching and falling for a week and has stopped eating for at least 4 days. And I have realized that she has been scratching in her bedding as well...I will force feed her some pumpkin and some apple sauce to make sure she eats well. I dont want her dying on me. Like I said she does not look lethargic or sick!!! This is why I am so puzzled.

11. Merlin

Judging from the pictures I would say you have a female. No evidence of jowls or "brain bumps" and the femoral pores are quite small and I see no indication of hemipenal bulges.
    She may be entering breeding season behavior. The first season my female had she almost drove us nuts with the scratching and digging. This is basically them looking for a nesting site. But it's a bit early for her to have stopped eating. Gravid igs do that as they get close to laying and she doesn't look full enough for that. I would say a vet trip is in order to determine if it is gravid or if there is another problem.

12. nicole

nicole Elite Member

That is a female iguana. It sounds like she may be gravid. Do you have a nesting box for her?

13. Merlin

And lets place the frog information in a new thread in the appropriate forum;)

14. schlegelbagel

Done!

15. labelleninirose

I dont have a nesting box at all, what should I make it out of? and will she eat again?

16. schlegelbagel

I think someone mentioned something as simple as one of those covered cat boxes filled with organic potting soil or some other various substrate? Someone please chime in....

17. labelleninirose

I have tons of coco fiber bricks!!!! I could use that and put some sort of box over him...er her sorry. But what about the eating??? Should I keep on force feeding?? Or let her do as she wants and let her decide when she should eat.

18. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

There is definitely something very wrong with her and force feeding her without much bowel movement could complicate matters.

He/she definitely needs to see a qualified Reptile Vet very quickly!

19. Merlin

I agree. Even if it is something as relatively simple as not eating due to being gravid, you don't want to forcefeed. First off the reason why an ig in advanced stages of being gravid doesn't eat is due to the fact that, with all the developing eggs inside, there really is no room for food!
    Plus if there are eggs and you get too forceful and rupture one of them,.... it is very very BAD!
    The cause of this behavior definately needs to be determined.

20. labelleninirose

I called the closest herp vet which is about a 2hour drive. I'm going to see him on Saturday since its my only day that I can go, due to college. I will keep you posted on this situation. For now she does not seem to want to eat. Hopefully the vet can help. It's an exotic animal vet but she tells me she looks at reptiles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.