This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Info Needed (:

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by ariesmommy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Oh yeah I just use lukewarm water for her to soak, and we are only in there for 10 mminutes right now the older she gets and the bigger we will stay in longer.

2. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

do you use anything to bathe her with? and im gonna get a humidiy gauge too if i can find one. and we have humidity spray but i dont know about using that so i was gonna get a squirt bottle and just put water in it. thats what Count does. im tryin to do what she does so i know theyll be just as pretty but her internet got cut off so yea she wont be on here much and i cant text her as much either cause our sleeping schedules are opposite now instead of right lol. if i have shedding issues with him i will probably freak out because i wont know what to do or get to put on it to help him shed. i just cant wait to get him and see him grow :) if i could have everything set up tonight and get him tomorrow i would but id rather have a bit of extra cash to fall back on just in case something goes wrong at the house as usual ):

3. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ok thats great :) now i know what to do :) THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING AGAIN :) without you id know nothing!!! so glad that you were on here to answer every single one of my million questions :)

4. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

nope nothing but the water, with igs they can absorb water into their skin, when they shed you have to watch the toes, tail tip, and spikes. If you notice that they still have skin in those places after they are done shedding you can just give them a soak and what I do is while we are soaking as the dead skin is getting soft I just use my fingers and lightly rub the toes or tail in the water and the skin usually sloughs off, the spikes I just kinda softly pull off the dead skin if its left there. As a last measure if the skin still does not come off you can use tweezers to grasp a piece if skin that is sticking away from their digits and lightly pull it off that way. I dont recommend this for their tail or spikes just around the toes if is your last resort. Usually a good long soak will work.

5. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Dont just go by my advice there are lots of good people on here that know more than me. But thank you.

6. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ok :) i would have been the idiot to try and pull it off their tail lol. i can see the after damage if i did...rubber ducks everywhere in my bathroom. (i collect rubber ducks and my bathroom is a bright yellow :)

7. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

oh lord no. there are alot of suggestions out there and i hope others chime in on this subject too. my go to girl is Count lol. shes there 24/7 if i have a question. all i have to do is pick up the phone and call her :)

8. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ive only been on this site for 8 days and already have 94 posts...sweet! i talk too much or ask too many questions ):

9. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Oh and never pull off the shed if its still attached, thats why I soak because when they shed its in pieces, some comes off at different times. when you know they are done is when you check the spots that are hard for them.

10. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

i thought they would shed like leg here leg there back here andthen eventually get the rest off. definitely have to pay attention when he does shed. how often do they shed?

11. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Mine right now.... it seems like every other week because shes young and growing fast. As they get older and slow their growth as adults about once a month to once every other month. It all depends on their care. The humidity is crucial for their shedding as well in the right humidity they should not have any problems.

12. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

wow thats alot of shedding but theyre growing so they have to :) humidity is 70-80% right?...you should see my notebook ): it looks horrible and i hope i can read all this later lol.

13. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Yeah humidity in between 70 and 80%. I know theres is alot more that I know but cant think of anything else the good thing is you have already ordered James Hatfields book and that will have alot of good information in it.

14. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

oh yea i did :) heard it was the best so i have to have the best for my iggy. it should be here later today or maybe tomorrow...i gotta check that :)

15. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

well i take that back...they arent shipping it till the 10th or the 11th...estimated delivery is the 12th through the 19th. i have no idea why they didnt ship it sooner ): oh well only a few more days :)

16. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

dont feel bad I ordered a part for my truck last week and its only in the next state over and I am not supposed to get it until thursday. ;)

Good night, I cant keep my eyes open anymore. lol ;)

17. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

lol i wont go to bed for a while gotta get my guinea pigs out and try to make the new ones people friendly and not shy. then ill go to bed and head back into work tonight ): then no sleep all night long again :)

good night/morning (;

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Whew! You guys were busy last night! LOL!
    A few things.
    Do not put bark in the cage. Iguanas tongue flick everything! There is no type of particulate substrate safe for them. Just use tiles or paper.
    The compact fluorescents really aren't applicable for iguanas. With fluorescents you need tubes that run the length of the cage, preferably two. Fluorescent UVB only penetrates about 8-10 inches form a bulb. So the compacts only have a useable UVB area about the size of a basketball with the bulb as its center.
    And you can get the fixtures at the hardware store.
    You can also get your thermometers there. For about 12 dollars you can get one that displays two temperature areas as well as the humidity, all in one gauge. Acu-Rite 00891 Digital Thermometer with Humidity and Clock
    For your temp gun go to TempGun I like the PE2.
    For basking bulbs you can just use a household incandescent. The over priced pet store bulbs are really no different.

19. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

lol yes we were :) i went from a registered user to an elite member in 8 days but most of the posts came from last night i believe i had 40 some posts before we started last night :) glad i got all my answers though :) shes amazing :)
    ok thank you so much Merlin :)