This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Info Needed (:

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by ariesmommy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

lol i work 8p-8a sun nights thru sat morns and lately all i do is research instead of sleep. we stay with an elderly man that is pretty much neglected by his family so they have outsiders do it. its pretty sad that they only visit him maybe 2 times a month if hes lucky but im here all week except for one night. i just feel so sorry for him.

2. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Man I couldnt even consider something like that, I mean my brother in law is living with us right now and if one of our parents needed to they would be right here to. You are a great person for being there for someone who has no other support.

3. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

thanks :) it pays my bills and stresses the heck out of me and the hubby but we make it work :) do you know of a website that has a list of toxic plants for iguanas? somebody listed one the other day but it said gateway error and couldnt display the webpage because it had been removed or something. what substrate do you use...thats what bothers me the most. people recommend bark but i dont know how many ive seen on here talking about the bark they get and theyre iguanas eat it.

4. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

yep here it is: Edible and Harmful Plants

I have pothos and spider plants in C's and her big cage is getting a ficus, wandering jew, and hibiscus

Substrate is bathroom linoleum tiles. Soooo easy to clean. No particulates ( any thing lose )

5. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ok thank you :) and i was thinking tile but i dont know if i could find any without spending a fortune but whatever...its already not gonna be cheap lol.
    there will be one branch going up onto the basking branch, a hammock, a water dish, a food dish and probably a fake plant starting out but i might look into other plants AFTER i look at the list of plants :)

**I want to thank you so much. i have no idea how many people i talked to on here that would beat around the bush but still give me answer lol.**

FOOD: what all do you feed yours? and on what days? i think Count feeds hers the same thing everyday because when we go over there she never changes it. not unless she changes it before she goes to sleep or something i dont know. and i definitely need help with the vitamin c supplement and calcium. dont know what to get

6. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

what fruits can they have. it wont pull up the list of what they can and cannot have and what they can have as a treat. i got the veggies and greens list but cant get the fruits page.

7. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

K here it goes....

Food
    Collard, mustard, turnip, kale, endive, watercress, radicchio,and a little parsley - I mix at least three or four together in a pre-torn salad that lasts right now almost two weeks. I change up the greens every time I make her salad.
    squash (butternut, acorn, pumpkin), green beans, sugar snap peas, parsnips, sometimes carrots, sweet potato, okra, zucchini. I use anywhere from 3 to 4 of these different every time I make her salad - I keep them in a different container from the salad.
    Papaya, mango, strawberrys, raspberries, bannana, yucca root ( boiled and then mashed), cactus leaves ( prickly pears), figs, peaches, melons ( honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon, casaba) I usually get two or three and switch them out and give every other day.

I use centrum for women multivitamin crushed to a fine powder 2x a week and I get plan calcium carbonate and crush them to a fine powder and give every other day. I crush them with an old mortar and pestle set then sift through a small screen thing I got in the kitchenware section of Walmart to get any big pieces and the coating thats left sifted so they are not in the powder.

I add this to just the greens with just a pinch and toss (mix with my hands) then add the veggies and fruit on top. I alternate the multivitamins and calcium and never give them together.

http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm
    This has pics and the greens, veggies, and fruit are all mixed up in this list. :)

8. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Oh yeah if you go to the farmers markets and some grocery stores you can by only one or two or a small handful of these items at once. My food bill for C right now is about $10 every two weeks.

9. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

thats alot but that helps alot lol :) thanks
    calcium carbonate??? never heard of that but the other i have lol

10. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

thats pretty good but i dont know how much my little guy will cost. i heard that the babies eat alot. i guess well see :)

11. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Calcium carbonate is a supplement in the pharmacy section and I get 100 pills for like 5 bucks I havent even used it all and I have been using it for 2 months.

Have you seen my Ig? Shes a little piggy, and spoiled. Yes its a big list but you have to think I only get maybe ten different things and like the last time I got her stuff I bought 4 green beans and four sugar snap peas, both came out to like 3 dollars together. The squash I just buy the small ones and here they are like 1.50 each. the different greens also run me around 1.25-1.50 each. Yes they eat alot but you have to cut it up real small for the babies and shred it so a little goes a long ways. When they are bigger they actually go through more food since they eat bigger salads.

12. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ok so just give them a pinch of that on their greens then toss that together then put fruits and veggies? and do the same with the other just not together? and yes i seen her. beautiful and very grown compared to the first picture :)

13. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

yeah thats what I do. It also helps that when I go shopping for the week I plan out my family's dinners and snacks around what I want to get for C. if its peaches and melons I buy for the whole family and then take some for C. Its helping my whole family eat better.

14. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

lol i can see me now. ill get the ig and ill be on a diet too lol...i need to be thats for sure. hey at least he/she will be happy and ill be happier too :) ill probably get him in a month or two depending on when Count gets the other cage built. and if she doesnt then ill ask her for the number of the guy that had green bean. he had a $300 cage for sale for only $150.

15. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

I dont know about the diet thing I still weight the same as I did even eating better. lol

16. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

lol well darn. i was hoping this ig would help me lose weight ): oh well but still it wouldnt hurt to eat a bit better :)

17. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Well I will talk to you later. I think its snack time and then bed. ( this maybe why I havent lost weight) Congratulations on your choice Igs are very rewarding in my opinion, but they require alot of work to. I myself spend at least three hours a day just cleaning and feeding as well as bathing and bonding with her. (Clean up doesnt take to long) but the rest does.

18. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

that reminds me how often should u bathe them and what should you use???

19. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

and how long should you give them before handling them and tryin to tame them...no more questions after this :) im hungry too and its 520am lol cant eat till 830am ):

20. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

I bath mine every other day regular and when shes shedding every day. I gave mine a week with out anything and then just started trying to pet her or rub her belly when I was feeding and cleaning. C is far from tame but its been to months and for some reason most of the time I have no problem with her walking up on my hand an coming out to let me hold her, she still has problems when the dogs bark or the kids are here ( they are loud teenagers) but I think we are on a good routine. I still have to hold her during the baths, she doesnt like the bottom of the tub yet and when she is shedding certain parts of her body she doesnt like to be messed with.

You might also want to start looking at humidifiers for you enclosure Igs do well in 70 to 80% humidity. I mist C's three to five times a day here but its really dry some days more than others. Out there it will be different but your a/c dries the air as well as a heater in the winter. Here we use a swamp cooler in the summer to add humidity in the house and its still dry.

* edit I bath that much because I am in a dry area. it helps keep her health in this climate, in NC you may not need to bath as much.