This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Info Needed (:

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by ariesmommy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

I am going to be getting a CWD in about 3 months BUT for the next year i will be researching iguanas before i commit to one. i have already ordered the book by james hatfield (i think i spelled it right) i will also be purchasing the iguanas for dummies book as well. if you know of any websites or other books that have alot of information about iguanas please let me know. no website is too stupid or useless for me. any info is good info. please and thank you very much :)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The problem with that thinking is that there are a lot sites that give out incredibly stupid or useless information! Some of it even dangerous.
    The book by Hatfield is the best start you could make. Kaplins book is a little outdated.
    Go through the iguana section of this forum and read the posts. You can also look at The Green Iguana Society site.
    Iguanas are complicated critters to keep properly. And many who actually bother to do the research decide that its more than they want to get into.

But good for you for actually doing the research as opposed to "I got this iguana, now what do I do?"

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on doing the research first. I didn't do mine ahead of time but I had 6 good years with my boy.

Had I known then what I do now though I wouldn't have gotten one. No more iguanas for me, they are too much of a commitment. Expensive lights, big cages, complex diet...Hiring a babysitter every time I left town and then worrying if he was going to try to kill her or vice versa was stressful.

Lucky for me I was the only one who got mauled and I've mostly recovered.

4. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

Again, good for you for doing the research first and not after.

Going on two years now with a four foot male, I probably wouldn't get another one "on purpose". This one was a rescue and I kind of felt obligated to take him since I told the woman over the phone that I would. When I got to her place and saw him I was in shock - he was HUGE, ANGRY and being kept in a horrid environment. He's a cool animal and I'm finding it's interesting getting to "know" him, but ditto to what moshpitrockchick said - it's way too much work.

5. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

I agree with you all about Iguanas being ALOT of work, but at the same time they are my favorite lizards so I dont look at things that way. I love all the different things I can mix up to feed her. I am constantly looking for more new and different foods. Yeah they are large and need big cages, but when you really find you love this type of lizard that is an ok thing. The breeding season does suck its like just get in feed and clean and get back out for 3 to 5 months at a time. they can be aggressive and you have to constantly watch them when they are out of the enclosure. As for the lights and humidity they need special lighting and high humidity but so do alot of smaller lizards and snakes. I also spend about 3 to 4 hours a day with her. if I am not cleaning or feeding I am taming and bonding. I also love spending 3 to 4 hours a week making up her salads. I will say this, I have to give all who has more than one props because of their difficulty I will never have more than one at a time.

6. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

I agree with everyone its a lot of work and it takes tons of time. If you have any free time at all it has to go to your if to clean feed bond tame the list goes on. A uvb is 40 that's just 1 light bulb. And with you wanting a Chinese water dragon that lol guy is gonna need one too. Then you have basking bulbs and night bulbs unless you go with a heat emitter. They take a lot of commitment and a lot of care.

7. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

be prepared for breeding season if you get a male OR female. Girls can have serious issues with egg laying, it's very dangerous if they don't get the right egg laying box and feel comfortable. If you get a male, be aware of the risks and pain the iguana can do. Look up iguana bites, they can REALLY hurt people. An otherwise tame 5-6 foot lizard can go psychotic during these months which can last forever. And they can be fast too, so even putting in food and water can be dangerous if they are in an aggressive attacking sort of mood! (i have been jumped on before! Thank goodness he got the back of my head and not anything worse)

Also...LOL...get ready for iguana poop! It's gross! I can think of at least 5 otherwise sweet/romantic moments ruined by a particularly loud and abrupt farting noise!!

They are really cool animals though, and a lot of them need good homes. If you can afford the food, space, time, and attention to them, they can be really incredible animals. But they are a very full time animal! And like mentioned earlier--vacations become scarier, if your iguana happens to be in breeding season during the time. Suddenly you have to find someone you trust with your animal, who you also have to let know that they could be bit by that crazy lizard! Doesn't have to be breeding season either, people here have known iguanas to just dislike certain people for unknown reasons! So you can't just call up your average pet sitter!

Make sure you have room in your fridge for all the foods the iguana needs! :) Lots of greens!

8. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

You know I never really thought of all the stuff a normal person has to give up to have an Ig. I rarely ever leave and when I do it is always just me, and hubby or kids feed while I am gone. One kid is great with reptiles just like me. ( youngest is 16) All I have is time. So I never really thought about the amount that I dedicate to her. My kids are all grown so no more PTA or plays and sports.

9. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ok thanks :) if i get a list of websites and i ask everybodys opinion on the information i hope that you all can correct it lol :) i have read i dont know how many posts and it amazes me on how many things can go wrong in the blink of an eye (illness) ive been taking notes on signs and symptoms of every one so i know if mine starts acting weird or has the same symptoms to take them to the vet immediately and let them know what i think it is :) i would never go and get an iguana without research because my friend CountTripula has one and said it was alot of work and for me to try the CWD first to get the jist of the iguana but not the total package...hope you understand that lol :) thanks again

10. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

TO EVERYBODY LOL. i didnt expect this many replies but its greatly appreciated. i can afford everything for it because i will be spending the whole next year saving money so i should have more than enough. but you never know what could go wrong. about the biting and whipping...i understand and have also done research on that...horrible yes. my brother had one when i was 14 and he was a 5 foot long iguana...if the cat didnt get off the back of the couch when he wanted on it he would whip everybody in whipping range. luckily i grabbed the cat and worried about them before myself because if not the cat would have been dead. yes it hurts very bad and leaves a welp but i cant name how many times i have been whipped by that iguana. about the farting that is hilarious and i know my husband will enjoy that tons. and ive heard about the poop lol. ummm...im tryin to think about everything else that was mentioned and i cant at the moment but if i read over them again and want to leave another comment i will :) thanks everybody...thank you so much

oh i will have a babysitter and she knows who she is :) the only issue i will probably have is not being at home at night. we work 8p-8a (which im hoping is about to change and i can stay home 24/7) but that is the only worry i have is what will happen when were at work???

11. ksola

ksola Elite Member

I agree that it is alot of initial set-up and research to care for iguanas. But in a well thought out setup with a good plan equals not more difficult then say keeping dogs or a parrot. Taking into consideration that you follow proper requirements for that animal. My iguana are about as much work as my cat. I have 3 dogs, a german sheperd dog and 2 weimaraners. I have had parrots also. My cwd's live food requirement makes it more work. I am sure to get beat-up over this post-but I have been at it for awhile and that is what I have found.

12. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Ariesmommy, I find that me working night shift is better for mine. I turn on the lights and feed as about an hour after I get home. ( 5:30 am) and turn of the lights before I go to work at 6 pm. that way she gets natural light until its dark outside. Around here until it starts getting colder she doesnt need night heat. When she does I have a ceramic heat emitter.

13. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

If the lights are set on timers so they can come on when you want in the morning, then the hours you work are good to go as they will be sleeping 99% of that time. Get home, you feed, sleep for your work schedule and spend time with them in the afternoon/early evening.

I would have prefered that schedule to what I had to deal with before retirement. I had to be out of the house by 6:00 a.m. and didn't return untill 4:30 p.m. So I had to leave the new food in the enclosure about an hour before lights came on, well misted and placed in a shallow container with a few ice cubes in the bottom. Then bath time was as soon as I got off work. :)

14. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about that time frame. Most igs are in bed between 6:00pm & 8:00pm, they do wake up earlier than most people, but if you set their feeding time after say 8:30am, they won't be too upset that you've been gone.

15. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ok i would have to cut his night light on around 7:30pm and wont be able to change his night light for his daytime light till 8:30am...is that ok or is that bad??? and where could i get the lights with timers....REMEMBER I AM NEW TO THIS...RESEARCHING!!! there are so many sights that say you have to have a uvb and yada yada yada but no details on what kind and watts. this is why im asking...not being rude just making sure u guys know im kinda blind right now. tryin to get everybodys opinions on what products best...what you would use and what people have been having problems with. if it wasnt for this forum i wouldnt know jack diddly. whoever made this site is amazing :) the people on the forum are amazing too because i wouldnt know anything that i know right now (the little bit that i do know lol)

16. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Part of the reason we respond as we do is we want to do more than just give someone the information, we want to relay our experiences so that hopefully you can make the choice that is best for you. You can read every bit of information on care, housing & feeding that is out there, but nothing will tell you the kind of work & pain can be involved in this endeavor like an owner can, let alone the joy & love of it all.

The timers, just get an outlet timer from Wal*Mart. They are what, like $5 & you just set them for "on time" & "off time". For UVB, I would check the MegaRay bulbs (Welcome To ReptileUV - Mega-Ray® UVB lamps for reptile lighting worldwide). They cost quite a bit (as do all iggy related items), but they're good. My grandmother-in-law keeps telling me my igs need to get a job with the kinds of food they eat, LOL.... anyone know any good places to get my ig's into modeling LOL!

17. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

and i appreciate every iguana owner telling me about their experiences and pain :) i know the pain...as i have mentioned in another thread i believe...i was 14 when my brother got his...his was an impatient little butt. whenever he would free roam the house he would walk around like he was king and if my brothers cat was on the back of the couch where he spent most of his time after checking things out he would start whipping anything in tail range...i would always think cat+tail=death so instincts kicked in and i would grab the cat. i dont know how many time that thing whipped me tryin to save HIS cat. yes it hurts and so does the biting and scratching but i was 14 and could deal with it then and i can deal with it now lol. ive been through worse pain than an iguana tail whip, bite or scratch. so i think ill be fine on that. ill definitely take a look at the bulbs but i was wondering if a CWD can live with the snake lights the red one that doesnt put out much light and the white one for the day could the iguana live with that too or needs something totally different???

i didnt know walmart had those. i should be going to walmart in the next few days and im gonna see if our rinky dink store has it lol. probably not but i dont know. ooo another question...would it be ok to weigh an iguana and a CWD on a kitchen scale...kinda like guinea pigs because i have to get one of those bad. i have 4 guinea pigs and whats the point of going to the vet to just be weighed when i can go to the kitchen??? ummm i cant think of anything else right now but im sure if i read everything again something will hit me lol

18. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

nevermind. on this page it says dont use the infrared night lights. ok got that. it says to use a CHE. give me an example of that. REMEMBER IDIOT HERE LOL! and i dont care if people think that im stupid for asking such dumb questions but all these bulbs with all the letters im so confused its not even funny. so would i need a 100w UVB bulb? if i get an iguana (which im pretty sure i am) hes going to be in a cage thats 3 1/2 ft tall and 2 1/2 ft wide for about a year. my friend has hers in it and its been in there longer than a year and i just think its gettin too big for it. so im gonna save my money for a year and build a bigger one.

19. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Ariesmommy You are not an idiot. ;) The questions you ask are all good ones. C has a reptisun 10 tube for her UVB and a reptisun day basking bulb for the heat. I am waiting to get a megaray so I can have both in one but its a long wait. For night heat right now I dont need it with being summer in the desert her ambient doesnt drop past 70 degrees yet but I have a ceramic heat emitter for when it does. The light timers are great I still need to get one, every time I get something cool my hubby takes it, and if you can find the digital ones they are better but they make ones just like a kitchen timer to you just set the times you want them on or of and plug the lights in. Here are links to the lights I have right now and one for the type of timer I want to get.

Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp Value Pack at PETCO
    Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB Bulb for Reptiles at PETCO
    Zilla 24/7 Digital Timer Power Center at PETCO

20. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

ok so i need one of each of those lights and a timer yes? and which wattage should i get? and i do feel like an idiot. i feel like im asking the same questions over which i probably am but i want to know everybodys opinion on products and what works best...i want the best for my iggy you know?