This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Food Recipes

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by wildheart, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

:eek::eek::eek:
    Yee gads!
    I do hope you meant $1.50 a pound!

2. Gibson90kb

Gibson90kb Elite Member

Wow whee! After my ig piggied out yesterday, he left me an unexpected present. So I'm sure he was just feeling shy and now he's a little more comfortable around me. :D

3. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

lmao yes that's what I meant to say,haha.
    oops

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Haha I thought that they were interesting too, and was so fascinated I had to buy one...and they work GREAT! :D

And yes, Igs eat a LOT haha but they will not over eat, so feed him as much as he wants. :)

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Does your iguanas like red food? They had a special on strawberries R6.95, it usually goes for R20+ and once again forest just pulled his nose up. He does not even want to eat a red flower, pulls his nose up for johny-jump-ups, petunia, carnation and rose!

But oh boy, if it is orange, yellow or white he jumps for it! He loves all types of squash/pumpkin and he loves turnip. It is sooo funny to find him at night with an orange/yellow mouth. :D

I can remember seeing a photo of Kermit munching down on a bowl of strawberries before, is it only mine that is so full of strond?

6. Merlin

Usually red is a serious attractant to them. And I have never seen an iguana that didn't like strawberries. Maybe you should try slicing one and rubbing it on his nose.

7. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I mixed it in his food 2 days ago and he ate everything except the strawberries.

Yesterday when I got home I sliced another one for him and I did rub it against his mouth. I REALLY wanted him to eat the treat that I bought just for him. He did not even stick his tongue out to taste it. I ate one myself and they were delicious!

I don't know what his problem is! I will just have to buy some cream and then we can have his treat tonight. :rolleyes:

8. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Linky he knows you want him too eat it! That's the problem! LMAO ;)

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Hie-hie, I also won't be surprised if Craig convinced him to leave it so that he can have it all to himself.:p

10. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

My iguana will eat anything that goes into his bowl, I could put gravel and fish heads in his bowl and he'd still eat it. He goes after dust bunnies and chases spiders and will kill you for a piece of a potato chip. He doesn't discriminate based on color or whether something is actually edible or not.

11. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

My ig's favorite was hibiscus flowers, the bright pink ones. He loved the leaves as well. *sigh* I miss him.

12. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I just thought kermit liked strawberries, but she loves her bright red hibiscus flowers.

13. sarah6678

sarah6678 Member

Agnes is this way now that she is used to not getting only fruits. she will eat any veggie or fruit I give her. she had a few bites of the pear I was eating the other day then pounced on my head when i got off the sofa to throw away the core.

14. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Tito discovered Noodles today haha He enjoyed it very much. (I only gave him a small bit as a treat as he was being unusually good and I felt it deserved a reward). He kept trying to climb back to the noodle dish when I would not give him anymore! haha

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

The only time that I see forest go crazy is for garlic bread. The last time he climbed me and actually tried to bite it out of my mouth!:eek:

16. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Hahaha that is funny. Maybe he was just trying to save you from garlic breath? ;) lmao

17. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

My ig actually bit a gash in my upper lip once. I was eating a chicken sandwich on my bed and apparently he thought it smelled tasty. He ran right up and bit my mouth, and to think, I thought he was being sweet and coming to just smell me. The gash in my lip was stitch worthy, though I never went and got them, thought it did leave a scar.

18. Salazare Slytherin

Salazare Slytherin Elite Member

I personally maintain the majority of my iggs diet on rocket and water cress..

It really depends what week as I give them different varieties of fruit and veg every week..

so here it goes

Hibisicus
    dandelions
    rocket water cress
    cucumber.... every 3 weeks in small amounts
    kale
    collards
    bok choi
    alafla pellets
    parsley
    mint
    turnip/ shredded
    carrot/ diced
    broccoli/ chopped
    peas
    green beans

All mixed up depending on which day it is trying to maintain a proper balanced diet. So far I have an ig 13 years old so I think I'm doing something right :)

Fruits I keep to a minimum only feeding at the end of the month but here we go...

Banana strawberries pears and plums, rarely grapes
    I hope this has helped and if anyone notices any of this may be wrong be sure to let me know :)

19. Merlin

Not too bad but could use a bit of tweaking.

The majority of the diet should be collards, mustard and turnip greens. These should be your staple daily foods.

Kale, bok choi, broccolli as well as carrots, should be a once in a great while food, if fed at all.

Cucumber is basically water.

The carrots could be replaced with parsnips.

20. Salazare Slytherin

Salazare Slytherin Elite Member

Okay thanks :) I'll start immediately...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.