This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Food Recipes

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by wildheart, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I have an open seed packet I could send. it still has like 100 seeds in it.

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I followed the Edible plants list and bought lots of new seed and plants.

New dish this morning.

20090729_27.jpg

Greens:
    Mustard
    Turnip
    Petunia
    Mint
    Rosemary
    sage
    fennel
    geraniums
    lavender
    oregano

Flower topping:
    Pansies
    Petunia
    Geranium

Veggies:
    Squash

I wonder what I am going to find tonight.

Attached Files:

3. brandon

brandon Elite Member

Danzig has been getting the basic mix of mustard,turnip,and collards. He is fond of green bell pepper so I throw a little of that in for him with a treat of some banana and strawberry trading off on those two.
    Thanks for the thread it's a good reminder..for me at least that it is easy to get into your routine checklist for them at the market but we should always be changing it up for these guys.

I have had a hard time feeding squash. He thinks he's going to save it or something and it dries out. Anyone have this problem? I've tried variety's but I am not sure why he rejects it.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How are you preparing the squash? Its best grated. If you are cutting it up into chunks they may be too large.

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Forest absolutely loves all types of squash, I usually come home and find him with a yellow mouth.:D I buy it fresh and I just cut off a small strip in the morning. Out of habit from when he was just days old I grate it horizontally so that the gratings are short instead of long pieces.;)

6. brandon

brandon Elite Member

Aww...Chunks! I didn't even think about grating it. I will let you know how that goes. Thank you guys!

7. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I think Danzig is going to be in heaven if he gets a taste of freshly grated squash. ;) Do the same with butternut, Forest loves butternut, I do remove the skin before I grate it thou.

8. Critter's mom

Critter's mom Elite Member

Grating is definitely best for squash. I use banana squash that the grocery store cuts into pieces, then I put it through the food processor with the grating blade on. I also put parsnip through that way.

I make a big bin of food for Critter about once a week or less if he's eating lots. Then I just have to put a couple of handfuls in his dish each day. I made the mistake of using the chopping blade on the processor a couple of times and the food went bad really fast...like 2 days.

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

The leaves even go off if I cut it up with scissors, only stays fresh for about 3 days max. :(

10. vistajpdf

vistajpdf Member

I don't think I've chopped the greens up well enough. I diced the acorn squash, red pepper, and a little banana up, but the greens were served more in the fashion that I serve the guinea pig. Glad I saw these masterpieces and hope that chopping them more will tempt Iggy to eat more.

Dana

11. brandon

brandon Elite Member

So we picked up a butternut squash today at the market. I cut a piece off and grated it then mixed it in with his greens. What do you know??? He ate the WHOLE meal. :D

Thank you for the advice. I am glad to add squash to the menu!

12. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

does anyone have the speedy bullet or whatever its called the blender one. Does it work really well for chopping up greens or chunks of veggies like squash? Acorn squash is so annoying to grate.

13. Ace

Ace Elite Member

A friend of mine had one and he said that it worked wonderful for veggies I have never tried one myself though.

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Excellent news. :D

Forest did not finish his new dish, I got carried away and added everything I bought, so I suppose there were too many new tastes.

I am now only mixing in 1 -2 new flavors and he finishes his plate. He does not like Johnny-Jump-Up flowers but he LOVES the Petunias. ;)

15. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I have one - the Magic Bullet Blender - and I LOOOOOVE it!!!! It is the MOST AMAZING THING EVER!!!! So perfect for drinks. For veggies it works OK. I have a hard time because I want to cut up so much since I buy big things of greens, and chop and store them. You have to stop every now and then sometimes to push them down more, esp if you want it cut up in fairly congruently sized bits. It ends up looking like a big mush of grass clippings but is perfect for getting them the most surface area-volume ratio for nutrient absorption because the pieces are TINY. Overall it works fairly well, but I lose patience since I do not have the big normal-blender-sized fixture and only have the 1 person tall cup size. haha
    What I DID find recently that works like a dream is some triple bladed scissors meant for cutting up lettuce and stuff. It works SOO well and is really quick and easy. :) Also, it cuts pea pods, green beans, etc into perfect sized pieces. I haven't tried it one anything like a parsnip yet.

16. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I discovered a wonderful new secret!!!! Triple-Bladed-Scissors!!!! They are made specifically to cut lettuce and herbs and stuff (so will work PERFECT on greens and veggies). Normally my greens start rotting pretty quickly, but I tried these new scissors and it was SOO NICE!!!! They cut stuff into small pieces, are easier to use than a blender - and don't make mush! - and can also cut peas, beans, etc into perfect sized pieces!!!! AAAND the best part!!!! My greens are still as fresh as day 1 about 2 weeks later!!!! Normally by now they are getting slimy and smelly and need to be badly replaced.
    This is them...
    Norpro Triple Blade Herb Scissors : Target

17. Gibson90kb

Gibson90kb Elite Member

How much does an iguana eat in general. Juvenile to adult?
    I've been gaging my igs diet depending on how much I put in I'm not too sure. If he eats everything I add more. Are iguanas the type of animal hat eat and don't stop, or should I even worry about that?

18. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

they don't over eat, feed as much as they will eat plus a little extra.

Mine used to eat a small bowl of food when it was little and now has a large breed dog food dish full at least once a day. Some times she doesn't eat all of one other days she eats more than 2

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can feed them as much as they will eat. Fed the proper foods they will not overeat.
    And don't be surprised at the amount that they can consume. Like all plant eaters, it takes a lot of food to fuel them!

20. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I never saw scissors like that before, interesting...
    My torts diet is the same as an iguana's. My greens only last about a week. But they are only $150.00 a pound so I can't complain. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.