This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Food Recipes

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by wildheart, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I thought it would be a great idea if we all pitch in and give out our recipes. I am bored with my own recipes and would love to get some new ideas from you.:)

It will also be a better way to show all the new members and new iguana owners what the correct diet must be made of. (We can just link to this thread when we see that somebody is giving the wrong food)

Forest's breakfast this morning:
    [​IMG]
    (My bearded dragons dishes are on the sides with super worms in between)
    [​IMG]

Recipe:
    Lots of Mustard leafs
    Lots of Turnip leafs (Both makes out at least 60% of the dish)
    Italian Parsley (they refuse to eat curly)
    Coriander
    Rocket
    Nasturtium leafs
    Hibiscus leafs

Butternut grated
    cooked peas (only as a treat - maybe twice a month)
    Hibiscus flower
    Nasturtium flower

(Night before)
    First I've switched the sprinklers on outside to wash off all the leafs. After it was nice and clean I've cut what I need and then placed it in the sink with water to soak.

This morning:
    I use scissors to cut the leaves in small bite size pieces.
    Grated the butternut
    cooked the peas
    cut the hibiscus with a scissor to bite size
    mixed it all together
    topped with nasturtium (He LOVES that flower)

After it was done I sprayed the dish with water.

Bonappetit - 1 tropical dish.:)

2. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

"Linky's Reptile Restaurant and Boutique"

I can see a new business venture.:cool:

Great looking spread of chow! If I were an Iguana, I'd be diving into that and asking for more!:D

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Here's how I make Tito's food. Not NEARLY as fancy or involved as your recipe, but he likes it.
    Turnip Greens
    Collard Greens
    Mustard Greens
    Acorn Squash
    Parsnips
    the occasional Red or Green Bell Pepper or Peas or Green Beans (I try to swap these out so that he gets some variety)
    I put all of these in a blender and mix them up together really well so that the pieces are small and he gets the most volume to surface area ratio. I line a zip-lock container with a paper towel and put the blended mix in there and store it in the fridge. It stays fresh for a long time like that. Blending it all up makes the kitchen small like a lawn mower though! lmao
    Then every now and then for a treat, I add in some fruit baby food (he really likes the peach stuff and the banana, apple, pear stuff) or some cut up fruit: bananas, apples, strawberries or mango.

I found a little pack of some "edible" flowers at the Grocery store here, but it didn't say what types of flowers were in there so I didn't buy it. Anyone know anything about this? What types of flowers can they eat?

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Exactly like that and then I have to come home and wash the yellow face!:D

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

[​IMG]

Saturdays dish.

Greens:
    Lots of Mustard
    Lots of Turnip
    Nasturtium leaves
    Rocket
    1 Small leaf of Kale
    coriander

Veggies:
    Turnip grated
    Winter squash grated (the one with the green skin)

Fruit:
    honeydew melon cut into small blocks

Topping:
    Rose petals
    red pepper for color.

Nasturtium - two are dusted with calcium.

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

[​IMG]

Greens:
    Lots of Mustard
    Lots of Turnip
    Basil
    1 small leaf of swiss chard (about 5 bites)
    Lots of Watercress
    Hibiscus leafs

Veggies:
    Grated squash (the one with the yellow skin)

Fruit:
    Pepino
    Kiwi

Topping:
    Hibiscus flower
    Coriander flower
    And of course his hand fed Nasturtiums. (Its a routine:D)

Sprayed with water.

New ideas would be appreciated.;)

7. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Man, compared to your dishes, if I posted a pic of Tito's blended mix it would look far less pretty...maybe if I put flowers on top.. ;) haha Yes, more people please post! I am severely limited in what produce I have access to so I a) don't have much to contribute and b) am very interested n new ideas! :)
    P.S. Thanks Linky!

8. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Kerm doesn't get a mix of greens he gets one staple green a week (they come in large packs I can't keep 3 different kinds fresh for long enough to have a mix every day, so I rotate) This week is mustard (her favorite). along with it I give grated squash, green pepper, and different fruit each day. Once and a while (every 2-3 months) I give a small bowl of canned pumpkin (another favorite) to clean her out a little.

9. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Kendalle- We know that we cannot possibly imitate the breadth of food variety Iguanas eat in the wild (upwards of 200 items regularly). All we can do is try very hard to vary the diet as much as possible and hope to strike a good balance of nutrients. Serving only one green a week is not entirely healthy for your iguana. You are limiting the nutrients he takes in. Processed (bagged) greens have even less nutrients than the already depleted "farmed" fresh greens grown in nutrient depleted soil.

Please consider buying collards, mustard and turnip greens, soaking and chopping them once a week and feeding all week long. Our chopped greens will last for almost 2 weeks under perfect conditions (soaked, chopped, thoroughly dried and properly stored in the refrigerator).

It's vitally important to vary the diet of our iguanas as much as possible with mixed greens and veggies.

Wildheart does an excellent job of growing a variety of food items and preparing them in such a pretty fashion. I can't possibly take that much time! LOL So, like Tito, my Iguana's plate looks much more "practical", mostly greens with veggies once in a while and fruit rarely.

10. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

I try to mix the greens every week. This week however they have collard green, mustard green, endives and turnip greens. I mix all the greens (just chopped up in small pieces with scissors) and top them with acorn squash and butternut squash (grated). Today they also had a strawberry on top. Everyday I try to mix in something different for them. Yoshi has been eating twice a day so I try to give her different food from breakfast to dinner.

LOL I can't compare to Wildheart. The dishes look great!! ;)

PS Is it normal for them to eat tons more food and sleep more around this time? She is eating twice a day like I said and has been going to bed at around 6pm and waking up at 9am.

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

mine aren't the bagged normally however, I don't exactly see the difference in chopping them yourselves and someone else bagging them, but I get large bunches of them. Some weeks she gets a blend and some weeks she just gets one of the main staples along with other things mixed in. Or she gets mainly one, and a little less of another, if I stagger them. It freezes in our fridge and i can't do that much about that its a rental so i can't keep so much fresh for that long, and i live with like 10 other people (only 3 that pay rent).

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Kendalle, my fridge freezes food too (did you try changing the temp? there should be a little control dial...) but I have found that if I blend it up and put it in an airtight container with a paper towel, it stays fresh for a long time regardless of whether or not it freezes. I think that the smaller you chop it, the longer it will stay fresh. (Correct me if wrong). Anyways, I blend mine so it is all veeery tiny and then line a zip-lock container (u know, the ones with the snap on lids?) with a paper towel, put the blended greens in, and then put another paper towel on top before I put the lid on. I change the paper towels out for fresh ones from time to time which also helps a LOT.
    I buy my greens in large bundles and have had a hard time keeping them fresh: just like you said they would freeze, or even start to wilt or rot. Since I started blending them though I have not had any problem: frozen or not! I get bundles of different greens and blend them all together. It is a bit of a pain but worth it. :) If nothing else, it is worth a shot, no? Good luck! :)

13. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Kendalle, don't beat yourself up girl, you ARE doing your best.;)

I can tell you that I did store the greens the same way as you Kat, but it did not work for me and definitely not in our hot weather.

When we go to Kruger I have to take a whole lot of food with because there is nowhere were I can buy anything. Kendalle just try this and see if it will also work for you. Buy more than one type and rinse it under the tap. Place all of the wet greens together in an airtight container and keep it right at the bottom of the fridge. Every morning when you take some out for the day, take your spray bottle and spray the leftover greens. I keep my greens fresh this way for over a week, even 2 weeks. Dont chop them beforehand because then it will only stay crispy fresh for a maximum of 3 days.

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I don't know if I should carry on now, cause nobody is playing with. I need some photos, I don't care that it does not look like mine, I need new ideas... please. Plus the new members and new iguana owners would most probably prefer to make the 2 minute dish.:p

[​IMG]

Todays dish.

15. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Yea, I guess I did try that before and it worked all right, still only half was fresh by the time it was done though, but maybe she is eating more now and it would be better. She does get a mix of things each meal, just not always greens. I'll try and do better.

16. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

I will post some pictures tomorrow when I prepare Yoshi's food. ;)

17. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Here are Yoshi and Dragons meals.

Dragon gets earthworms and superworms on his salad in the morning.

Attached Files:

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It wouldn't do any good to send a picture of Zok's meal.
    It would just look like a bowl of lawn clippings!:eek:

19. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Here was last nights dinner. :D (note this was for FROGS not igs.)
    [​IMG]

20. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

hahaha YUMMY!!!! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.