This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Bite Wounds *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Moshpitrockchick, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Took the words out of my mouth. Alos use very strong sunblock this summer. Good luck. Hope you feel better.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I hope your confidence returns too, that may take a little longer than the physical injuries, but a lesson`s been learned, so take that from it all!

3. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

It looks good Lacey. Far better than the first pics.

I too firmly believe in vitamin E. It smooths away scars and heals the skin much faster.

4. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Seriously, The skin is the largest organ of the human body. It is also the first line of defense from everything in the enviroment. It uses up more resources than you might imagine, especially in healing mode.

I can't stress enough the idea of staying out of the sun! Go get yourself a really wide hat and wear it outdoors and use sun block on top of that. Sun block alone will not stop your skin from heating up and causing irritation.

The less sun you get, The less scarring you get.

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Sun is going to hard to avoid, i can't live like a shut in. I'm headed out on a week long camping trip Wednesday. i'm just going to have to stay covered up.

Marsha- I got the Mederma samples, once the steri-strips come off I'll use it religiously.

6. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Just keep the sun off of your face and you will be ok. Down here in the deep south some people use wide brimmed straw hats when they go out to tend their vegetable gardens.

Something like this should work out quite well.

[​IMG]

And they're cheap too!

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If she grew a beard that would help too, (if that`s what you were trying to suggest)??
    I`m guessing she`ll choose something a little more "fashionable" as well as functional? (Or maybe not). ;)

8. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Could it have been that "jealousy reared it's ugly head"?

Looking good Lacey. The Doc's did a fine job. Take their advice, and stay out of the sun, or cover up as much as possible. Can you use sunscreen over the damaged area?

9. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I have been away from this site for a while and all this happened while I was gone!!!

Lacey I am so sorry for what happened to you. You are looking much better now, though! And you are very, very brave.

As the owner of two large adult males (not free roaming) I also will be more careful in future with how I deal with mine. Anything can happen, any time!!! A good lesson for all who plan to keep iguanas because they love those darling little greenies in the pet shop. And I won't be kissing mine again either, even if they are in a "trance". Why take the chance?

Once again, good for you for being so brave and strong. You are now even more beautiful!

Hope you have a great camping trip.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It does look like it's healing well, thankfully.

I wear a hat to work to keep the sun off me. And pretty much anytime I venture outside here in Sunny effing Florida - when I go kayaking, hiking, biking, you name it, my trusty hat goes with me. I'm sure you can find some kind of hat to suit your lifestyle.

You live in Washington right? avoiding the sun should be easy for you! lol.

Oh, and on the sunscreen topic - sunscreen might help avoid a sunburn, but studies are starting to suggest it does not in the least affect your chances of getting skin cancer, and in fact may increase the odds you do. Cheery isn't it?

11. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

You are looking great! I definitely second sun shade hat or something as sun can increase scarring (according to my dermatologist). I think that you will probably have very little scarring if you keep out of the sun and use Vitamin E lotions and such. It looks like the surgeon did a fantastic job! The way I look at it, though the many boob jobs and rhinoplasties and lip documentation and such that people get again and again is ridiculously overdone in this age and country, but it give the Plastic Surgeons practice for when someone comes along with a legitimate need! I am glad that you are on the mend. :)

Have you decided what to do with Dizzy yet? I really hope you keep him! Getting bitten is just a risk of owning a large, wild animal. I know you would find him the best home possible if you did rehome him, but I know that for me personally, I couldn't ever trust someone to properly care for Tito. I have put so much research and time and energy and money into getting her where she is that it would kill me to give her to someone and either never hear from them again or find out that they aren't giving her the proper UV or got lazy with her diet or whatever. I have learned from experience that sometimes with people you just don't know...

12. Savagelizard

Savagelizard Member

Hope you get well, as it goes to show iguanas still show territorial displays even in captivity, it is a good idea to always be alert, especially coming from my experience, not being alert can add up to mangled body parts, or non-existent pieces of flesh that you thought you had on your arm. Again, hope you get well :)

13. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Moshpitrockchick, how are you? Please let us hear how you are doing now, and what you decided about Dizzy?

14. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

UPDATE:
    Well my face is looking good (I'll take some pictures later)
    I am sad to say that unfortunately I have concluded that for the safety of everyone in my home and for Dizzy's own personal health I have decided to rehome him.

I came to this difficult decision after working with him over the last month and seeing serious stress on his part and zero progress in accepting Kaitlyn (my new roommate who was probably the root of the stress that caused the initial attack). Unfortunately due to a recent break up I'm being forced to move to a different location and take on an additional roommate on top of Kaitlyn and the new roommate has a dog which just wouldn't fly with him.
    He's constantly aggressive and charges the cage doors over and over when Kaitlyn is in the apartment and I fear for him and for her.

I was going to hold on to him and try to tough it out through the stress of new people and moving but I am still afraid to do anything with him while she is home because he gets so upset.
    I took into account his quality of life if he can no longer be out and about and has to spend his time in a back bedroom by himself and decided to post him on craigslist just to see if I got any bites (excuse the pun). I figured if I found the right person I'd be perfect, and if not we'd just tough it all out together.

Low and behold the day after I posted him I got a call from the awesome Reptile store down the road where I buy all of my feeders. The owner was begging me to let him live at the store as their mascot (and as a warning for what you are getting into if you buy a little green devil) because they spend so much time and effort on trying to discourage people buying them (they don't even sell them).

I find it to be an ideal set up for me because i can still go visit him and he won't be sold and she knows her stuff super well and has an on call vet and everything. I know that there he will be getting the best care imaginable and I can still go see him when I pick up my feeders.
    Right now he is still with me while she is framing in a new cage for him in the back of her store, but I really am optimistic about how this will work out.

Excuse the rambling. I'm still coming to terms with all of this but making an example out of him and using him for education seems like a good idea to me, better than locking him up out of site to keep him happy. I just hate being one of the many many people who give up their pet for doing something that comes naturally to him. I mean, that's not it, in my mind but that's what it looks like, "Oh, he bit me, he's going byebye" but really I'd been considering something like it for a while because of the impending move/roommate situation where I'm not around as much to take care of him.

15. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so sorry you must rehome Dizzy.:( It must have been a very hard decision to make. But its good to know that he will be going to a place where you feel he will be well cared for properly and you will also be able to visit him anytime, so thats good. He will be a great mascot and an educational example as you say, to discourage people from buy such a reptile. Take care and know that you made the best decision that you could for all involved including Dizzy.:)

16. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I know it must be difficult for you to have to rehome him, but I hope that you are able to gain comfort on the overall outcome..From what you have stated, it appears that he is going to be well taken care of and that he is going to be able to educate the public about how much upkeep/care, and how large these animals develop into.....(and to top that off, you know you can still see him when you desire to.)
    I'm glad your injuries are doing well, and again, I hope that you are able to focus on the positive, even though I know your decision must have been a difficult one.

17. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I hope she puts up the photos of your bite wounds too along with Dizzy. Really drive the point home. Take care Lacey.

18. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Yes I agree putting those pics with Dizzy would be a very good learning tool! I can TOTALLY understand your reasoning and decisions. Good luck with your healing and with everything Lacey. :)

19. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Hope everything works out well. You made the best (if hardest) decision. Good luck.

20. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

I'm sorry that it didn't work out to keep him & everyone being happy and healthy. But at least he won't be far away & everyone will be safe. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.