This Disappears When Logged In

Iguana Bite Wounds *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Moshpitrockchick, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! you don't know just how tough a gal our Lacey is! ;)

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. The swelling is going down and I can finally open my eye enough to see out of it. I've got a fair bit of bruising and seepage, but all things considered it's not awful.
    I'm just thankful that he bit me and not someone else in my apartment. There were 4 of us there and I have no idea why he chose me but I know if he didn't I'd probably be even worse off.

There is definitely an angry mob of my friends forming who think we need to BBQ him. Honestly I don't know what I'm going to do. Animal control supposedly has to come out and evaluate him before anything can happen.
    I had been considering rehoming him due to the fact that my living situation is changing. In moving last time I found that the insurance liability of owning an iguana greatly reduced my living options.
    I'm not going to lie, this incident has scared the **** out of me and I am not willing to end up in the ER again. I worry that now that I am afraid to have him out his quality of life is going to lack because his cage doesn't really offer him much stimulation. I just don't know what to do.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You have some tough decisions to make, but the fact is, this could have happened at ANY time since you`ve had him, then again, it might NEVER happen, HE hasn`t changed in the slightest, he`s as "trustworthy" as he ever was, you`ve had a "wake up call", if you decide you can`t keep him any longer, (which noone could blame you for), how would he react to anyone else after all these years?
    I think if it had been a dog the advise would have been to have it put down, but he doesn`t deserve that...
    Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
    Edit: One point, you say there were 4 people in the room, as these are territorial animals (especially the males), maybe that`s what triggered the attack, if you did decide to keep him, maybe no free roaming under those circumstances again, he obviously DID feel "threatened" for an instant.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Out of curiosity, since your iguana injured you (as opposed to someone else) why is Animal Control getting involved? Is it mandatory because you had to visit a hospital?

In the end, all we can do is the best we are able with regards to what options are available. We all have confidence in you to make the best choice you can.

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

The hospital has to report all bites. Even if your own dog bites you during a seizure! Lacey good luck, I am sorry you are in such a tough spot.

6. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Geez Lacey! That's horrible! I can't believe he would react that way after all this time.

Yes, to all the newbies and wanna-own-an-iguana people, take heed and get a smaller, easier reptile. But for all of us experienced keepers, it's still a shock to see such a thing.

I hope you feel better soon. Definitely not something you needed to deal with now.

This is why there are so many iguanas in rescues and abandoned each year. They are not always what we think they are.

Good luck in your recovery and decision process. So sorry that both will be painful for you.

7. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Woo Hoo! At least she went to the ER in a tight fitting Tank Top!!! Only the young can do that and get away with it! LOL!

I do know how it feels to have facial scars from an injury and it'd not a laughing matter!
    I hope you heal up clean! But if you don't, You can always call it "Character"!;)

In Reality, I can't see Iguanas being that much different from "some" large parrots!
    There are some finger and face biting birds out there that some people do not speak of!

8. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

remember this is the begining of breeding season for these guys, he is full of horomones right now, but in a few months he should settle down.
    I am sitting at the rescue right now and am being told that most rules regarding animal control are rules written for dog and cat bites, most animal control employees are not qualified to determine reptile behavior.

9. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Yeah, as much as it sucks, you are lucky. Igs have razors for teeth & power-house jaws. Those jowls look more than interesting, they cover lots of muscle.

I am so sorry this happened. Get some rest & good luck.

10. Moshpitrockchick

I got my stitches out today and things are looking pretty good. The wounds were deep and the scabs are still stuck tight so the doc covered me with steri-strips and sent me on my way. I am feeling so much better about how I look now.

steristrips.jpg

As far as Dizzy goes I haven't heard from animal control and I have started letting him out again, I'm just being a little more cautious. He's just acting like everything is business as usual.
    Bite me once, shame on you, bite me twice, shame on me.

Attached Files:

11. venus

venus Founding Member

I was thinking the same thing about the eyes. Wow Lace, you are truly lucky. Facial stitches are no fun. Ask them if you can use Mederma on the scars as well. If so, I have quite a few sample packs at the office Ill send you.

12. Moshpitrockchick

Thanks Masha, he told me to get "something" for the scaring so if you wanted to send me some that'd be super. I'll PM you my shipping address because it's different than the home address that you have.

Some lady came in and told me to put Emu oil on it.

13. venus

venus Founding Member

It will be in the mail tomorrow :)

Cocoa butter works good too.

14. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

The doctor did a good job, big difference from the ER pictures, looks much better. Bio Oil is also good to prevent scars. Keep smiling:)

15. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

You look great considering the circumstances! Eh! It will clear up over time! Believe me, I know.
    And I can tell you one thing that you must do to minimize the scarring. Stay out of the sun for 1 year!
    This is what the plastic surgeon that repaired my face told me! And it worked out pretty good.

Your still young and you will bounce back very quickly! After some time, no one will even notice!:)

16. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Vitamin E cream works too. You can even get the Vitamin E gel pills and open them up and apply directly to the skin - like a moisturizer. It really does work.

17. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

I agree with Frognut. You can also get straight Vitamin E, that works really well. I am so glad that everything appears to be healing as well as it is.

18. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

That's good advice, But in the end while you are healing up, You need to eat a healthy diet!

19. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I am glad you are healing well.:)

20. Moshpitrockchick

*Looks down at the chocolate cake with sprinkles shes eating for breakfast*
    I'll start tomorrow....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.