This Disappears When Logged In

Identification Help & Breeding Question?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Haven Lapin, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Haven Lapin

Haven Lapin Member

Hello!! I just got my ball python yesterday, I love him a lot <33 however I'm having trouble identifying his morph, a lot of the differences are pretty subtle lol. I think he's either normal or cinnamon but I can't tell.

So for my next question, I understand that breeding ball pythons is a big hobby that quite a few people do, but once you've bred them what do you do with them? Just sell them as pets or to other breeders? My concern is that they're so long-lived, it seems rather irresponsible to just be breeding so many. I mean, I could be wrong, it could be that there's a real demand for so many snakes. But even so, relatively few people own snakes (compared to other types of pets), and most casual pet owners will only own 1 or 2, and if they're living up to 30 years, are there really enough homes for them? For example, I got my snake from a kid who'd got him as a hatchling and had him for nearly a decade before he literally just got tired and didn't want him anymore. Really sad : (

Also, those plastic tubs that breeders keep the snakes in seem inhumane. do they have hides in there and things to climb on? Temperature gradient? It also would be a lot harder to keep an eye on them all, in case one of them started to look sick or its box had inadequate humidity or something.

anyway sorry for all the noob questions, thanks for reading!!

Attached Files:

2. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

It looks like a normal ball python to me.
    As for the breeding, I believe there are some responsible reptile breeders in the world. It is sad, but most of the big operations are more concerned with the profit than the animals well being. Not just with herps, any kind of animal. I can't really put all the blame on the breeders, the world is also filled with irresponsible owners. I could rant on and on lol
    Pretty snake by the way

3. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

Questions are good and always encouraged.

I've thought about a breeding project myself, but the idea of selling animals will likely lose the novelty to most buyers concerns me. So should I do it I expect to have to expand my personal collection.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Hello. To confirm, yes you have a nice looking normal. As for breeding, there are some valid reasons for doing it, like wanting to make a certain combo you can't find, or simply for the love of doing it, but money is not one of the good reasons. There are more than enough breeders already, and many get out of doing it after they realize how little profit there really is. Yes, there is something of a demand for pet reptiles in general, but sadly a lot of it is driven by animals that die due to improper care, and uneducated individuals that don't realize what they are getting themselves into. So there can be some animals needing homes. Before you do it, ask yourself why you want to breed, and be sure you are ok with the answer. Also ask yourself what you will do with the babies, how will you feed them, are you willing to keep them forever if they dont sell, do you have a way to get them sold, and on and on. If you can go through all that in your head and can live with the answers you come up with, then go ahead and do it. Just make sure you know what your letting yourself in for.

5. Haven Lapin

Haven Lapin Member

I'm not thinking of breeding myself, I was just expressing some concerns about the industry in hopes that they might be laid to rest ;; thank you for all of the answers though!! Things are going very well with Alfie, he shed and ate with little issue and is friendly and curious! <3

6. Rossi1975

Rossi1975 Member

How much he weigh