This Disappears When Logged In

Identification Help, Big Garage Lizard :)

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by ash527, Aug 13, 2013.

1. ash527

ash527 Member

I google imaged South American Swift, and the very first picture looked like it could be a picture of my lizard friend... Lol.
    chilean-swift-lizard.jpg

The caption said "Chilean Swift Lizard"... but a lot the other photos didn't look like that one.... but If this is a type of South American Swift- I'd totally guess "Duma" was one of them.... Any way to specifically id the? Special marks or anything?

2. ash527

ash527 Member

It's so funny- because for the last week, I've just been doing research on "South Florida" lizards.... No wonder I couldn't even find anything close, lol

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

The only references I have with me at the moment hardly mention the Liolaemus at all. I've been keeping tabs on them but not a lot of info on the group as a whole, just a few brightly colored ones as you can probably imagine

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

there is a species of swifts that have the blue belly and arm pits they are also called blue bellied fence lizards.

5. Poison

Poison Elite Member

All fence lizards (males) have blue bellies.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

yes but not all swifts are fence lizards...

7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

The South American cousins don't have the "blue belly" (black-blue-pink) but a more yellow tint. Again I have not seen much on the Liolaemus group. The above pic looks more like a Sceloporus variabilis, a pink belly swift. I did a graphic search with "Chilean Swift Lizard" and came up with a ton of pics that had very little to do with lizards let alone something that was close to the OP's pics. just another problem with looking up common names.

Fence lizard, swift, blue bellies, are all common names that are always going to be fuzzy depending on regional locations. Don't get hung up on common names it's just not worth the time.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And don't forget the poster said the lizard's body was about the length of a soda can. That's awfully large for a swift.

9. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I would leave a pan of water out. Not deep enough to get stuck in!

10. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

yes, florida is deffinately under siege of non native species. Not just from shipping containers, but smuggling the family pet and mostly from hurricane damage to private and commercial breeders and zoos. We need stronger control on invasive species being set loose by irresponsible owners also. Kinda sad to see what happens to these animals and to those who are being killed out by no natives.. le sigh.. Call a herp group down there. Perhaps they have info and or can get it to a good rescue if you aren't going to be able to keep care for it. :)

11. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Not that removing one individual invasive critter would make much of a difference, but catching it and keeping it in an enclosure will keep that one from breeding. I have little to no issues about catching invasive species and keeping as a pet over a struggling native species.