This Disappears When Logged In

Ideas for Plants

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Mike616, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike616

Mike616 Member

Ok... So I am trying to come up with a nice set of fake plants, or something to make her cage a little more... inviting. However, the creative side of my brain is currently on strike...
    So can you guys post some pics of what you have with details... I really need to get her cage more welcoming for her... She just sits on her basking shelf 95% of the time, climbs around a few minutes and then back to the shelf she goes... I just want some things that are appealing to the eye, and more for her to climb on...

Any ideas or help is appreciated...

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are talking about your iguana,... that's about the size of it!
    They are the original "Lounge Lizard!"
    And, when it comes to ig cages, simpler is better.
    I limit mine to just tree branches. When I first built the enclosure for Zok I took artificial pothos vines and, going to great effort, wrapped them around the branch structure. It looked pretty good,... for a little while.
    There isn't really much in the way of fake plants that will stand up to them for very long. And some igs will try to eat the fake leaves.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

When Dizzy was a little baby I had a fake ficus for him to climb but he tore it to shreds and painted it with poop one day so now he has a very boring cage and for stimulation I just take him outside when its warm or take him down into my basement to run around when its too cold to go out.

4. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Try painting flowers or plants on the cage itself. It won't disturb your ig, and you'll get the benefit of looks. (Note: Most igs are pretty smart, but some are amazingly stupid. You may want to test it first. If your ig keeps trying to eat the wall, probably not a good idea.)

My plans for my own new cage include painting and attaching fake vines and plants to the outside of the cage. I'm hoping to make it look like a giant cave in the jungle that just happens to have an iguana behind glass. :)

I do have a couple of fake plants in Don Iguan's current cage. I bought a thin potted plant from pier 1 that's holding up remarkably well. He uses it as a bed, most often. He must like the texture. It really feels like grass. His big leafy fake plants don't last long, but the small grass one seems to be doing well. Huh.

5. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Gil's cage is pretty boring too. But then all he does is lay around. Lately, because of breeding season, he comes to the bottom as scratches to come out. We'll open one of the doggie doors and he manages to get himself out and to the window where he'll stay for hours. :)

I toyed with a nice mural on his first enclosure, but just went with a frottage paint treatment in two sets of green. With this enclosure time was of the essence, so I just kept to the plain shower-backer board. But we did use bead board for the outside front, which gives it a bit of a country look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.