This Disappears When Logged In

Ideas for New Mister System

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by DwarvenChef, Jun 15, 2013.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Having been out of the game as far as products are concerned. I was wondering if anyone knows what "new" products are out there for making a misting system out of a hand pump sprayer.

This idea came to me from my hydration packs new bladder that has disconnects at all the "right" spots for ease of cleaning. So my new plan stems from this.

• What materials for my mister
    • Capacity of mister
    • high pressure connections that can disconnect
    • Material of flex tubing
    • Connections to ridged tubing
    • Material for mister nipples and size

These are currently the ideas I'm working on. Fittings are what has really got my head spinning, I'll not know if I'm banging my head on the wall for nothing yet as I have yet to talk to a hardware guy to see whats out there. Most of the hardware people out there have NO clue what would be safe for reptiles. I've using the "Food Safe" line to get close to what I need, but these days "Food Safe" has been problematic...

Next issue is the mister itself. Most of them made to the 5gal capacity I'm looking for are made for pesticides... No thought is used for the plastic parts inside about "Food Safety".

I'll get the rest of my ideas out here later as I don't have my notes floating here in front of me...

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I too have been looking into building my own mister system. I have been checking around at farmer supply stores in my area for various pieces I would need.

The majority of plastic is fine to use with reptiles but you need to wash and use the parts a bit until you get rid of the new plastic smell and that will also get rid of any residual chemicals.

Now how are you going to propel the water through the system?

I was thinking of a small pond pump...

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Funny this post should come up as I made one prob 3-4 yrs ago that I still have and don't use anymore. Was just thinking yesterday of selling it.
    A misting system is only as good as the misting heads are really.
    Here's a pic of one I made.
    I bought some of the parts from them and the rest just locally.
    The garden sprayer I would only use a one or 2 gallon. If something goes wrong you don't want 5 gallons of water in your habitat.

image.jpg

• 1 sprinkler timer
    • 1 electric inline sprinkler valve
    • 1 or 2 gallon garden sprayer with release valve
    • 1 adapter to connect sprayer to valve (probably need a 3/8" barb for 2 gal sprayer or a 1/4" barb for 1 gal sprayer
    • 1 adapter to connect microtubing to valve
    • 1 hose clamp to secure tube to adapter
    • misting nozzles,look for flow rate of 3/4 GPH(gallons per hour) or less
    • length of 1/4" OD flexible vinyl microtubing
    • tee with barb microfittings
    • materials to secure misting heads (twist ties,fishing line,cable clamps, etc)

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Interesting...thanks Mike.