This Disappears When Logged In

Ideas for a New Lizard

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by ninja6259, May 27, 2012.

1. ninja6259

ninja6259 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone i have a empty 40 gallon breeder and would love some ideas of something new to get at this upcoming hamburg reptile show on June 9th. This is what i have now i have a gargoyle gecko, bearded dragon, russian tortoise, chuckwalla, schneider skink, corn snake and a carpet python. I want a lizard so if anyone can give me any ideas. And at the moment i am converting a entertainment center into a cage so i can upgrade.

I would also love to get a more advanced lizard so any ideas would be great thank you

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

1196023238_983205c3d6.jpg

Yup big 'Ol can of em :p

Attached Files:

3. ninja6259

Please only post really answers to my question

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

More info is needed to answer "What should I get?" questions. Hence the can O worms...

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

It's hard to tell someone what to get. Your best bet would be to look through the various care sheets. See what you would like :)
    Is there a list of vendors at the show? Maybe some will have websites and a list of what is going to be avaliable.

6. HerpHelper

HerpHelper Banned User

Water Dragons are great. I would say their semi advaced
    . Have a water dragon and beardie right now. A Tokay
    gecko is much more advanced if you wouldn't mind adding a geko. The largest gecko!!

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What about a blue tongue skink, you definitely need to stay away from arboreal types of lizards.

8. ninja6259

Ok sorry about the so vague post im looking for something that does not mind being handled but is a larger type of lizard. honestly im going to the show with a open mind and im only asking for ideas. when I am at the show i will have to handle and see what i like.

9. ninja6259

I have looked at many many care sheets and i have seen so many different lizards that i love like blue tongue skinks and ackies this is why i am asking for idea

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

40 gallon breeder isn't going to hold a large lizard for long!

11. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

A water dragon would be terrible.

The original poster has a 40 gallon breeder tank. That is not suitable to a water dragon!

12. ninja6259

yea i know that a large lizard would not last in a 40 gallon breeder but i am working on a 5 foot by 5 foot cage so i can get a lizard that will get bigger but i dont have to get a large lizard i more or less want something that i can be handled

13. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

well... first off, I will see you at the show lol. Its the biggest one on the east coast, awesome. You should be looking at geckos, just based upon the amount and prices of all the geckos they have there. The April 28th show was mostly pythons, geckos, and monitors.

14. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

If you are working on a 5'x5' cage, water dragon is an awesome choice. They also have green and brown basilisks there which are extremely active and interesting, but in my experience shy and tough to handle. My water dragons were great to handle, and are interesting to watch interact. I miss them. As soon as I am done with my new monitor enclosure I am getting another breeding pair of water dragons. Just do your research, as with any reptile they have specific requirements. For instance (since you are still in the building phase) I have no idea why water dragon owners and care sheets say it suffices to have a large water bowl. These lizards love water. If you can, get some fairly deep and running water in there, not only will it make them feel so much more secure, but it also makes them more interesting to observe. Good luck though. I am excited about the show.

15. Poison

Poison Elite Member

legless lizard

16. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

A 40 gallon breeder is inappropriate for any species of monitor or tegu.

17. Poison

Poison Elite Member

a fish tank of any size is inappropriate for any species of monitor or tegu

18. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's not necessarily true.

19. ninja6259

if i do get a monitor lizard i would only be in the 40 gallon breeder for a few weeks until i can finish building the 5 foot by 5 foot cage.

20. thatguy87

thatguy87 Well-Known Member

the tokay is a challenging gecko not something you can handle much at first but with work they can be tamed had mine out earlier tonight and theres a lot you could sdo for one in a 40 breeder.