This Disappears When Logged In

I Would Like To Ask Some Hognose Snake Advice

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by TobyToiser, Feb 28, 2018.

1. TobyToiser

TobyToiser Member

Hi guys, I would like to buy a hognose snake. Does it make a good pet? What does it specifically require? I Guess Its not from tropical Area, So thé care shouldnt be that much difficult or am I wrong? I would like to ask experienced keepers what should I prepare for the snake, substrate etc. aswell as how to care and what to avoid. I'm situated in Europe and some morphs are really expensive, Id go for my budget thé most beautiful seems to me a Jaguar. Thanx for any informations on keeping, there Is no book about this specie in my language, So must look for English publication online. Thanx for help
  2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

They do make good pets, they don't require much, they like a basking surface area temperature in the high 80s (Fahrenheit), normal room humidity is fine, but offer a humid hide during dry months. Make sure the one you get is well started on unscented rodents, because they can be hard to start feeding on them.
    The only special thing they require is a good burrowable substrate, I use dust free tissue paper bedding, and I know experienced breeders that use coconut coir or husk substrate.
    I recommend getting a female as they eat much more regularly and are alot less finicky than males.

Alittle info, they aren't constrictors, they are rear fanged, and fossorial, so they don't hold on to you very well. Be careful not to drop them.
    They never bite defensively, usually just hood up and hiss or tap you with their shovel nose. If they are very scared they will play dead.
    My female gets excited when she sees me and comes up to the glass and tries to get out. I love it!