This Disappears When Logged In

I Wish

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by millerpj, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

I wish I could fully express how glad I am that I found this community. I've learned so much so fast and really appreciate it. I wish you could see the students at my school and how they treat Mustache. Mustache comes out of her cage every afternoon. Students hold her, she crawls around, parents come in to see her and they are starting to hold her. She's just seems to take it in stride. She will curl around me while I'm working on the computer or hang over my shoulder while I'm teaching. I'm really pleased with the response especially since the one time she bit me (SFE) the kids were in the room and saw it. But they have not let that change their feelings. The students are becoming the experts. This week one of my 1st graders held her while he answered questions from 5th and 6th graders. What a learning experience. I never thought of having a snake as a classroom pet - let alone a 6 ft boa now I just wish it hadn't taken me 22 years to do it.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey it takes some longer to get the "bug" than others. Sometimes it just takes being exposed to the right animal!
    I'm glad to hear that the boa is such a hit. A great snake can be a wonderful ambassador to those unfamilair with snakes. Not to mention a great teaching/learning experience. And its a great thing to have the little ones get a "one up" on the bigger kids!;)
    Good job!

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats great! I am glad the site has been of assistance to you.

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

That is really great to hear. :)

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

awesome news! and even better is as your students teach the other kids in the school about the snake they are all learning that they aren't as bad as people think... "If that 1st grader can hold that huge thing I could too!"

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Fantastic. You're probably known as one of the coolest teachers in the school!
    I'm glad so many people are able to benefit from a proper education regarding reptiles.
    Post some pics of the kids with the boa, if you take any. :)

7. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

I will. I'll have to leave off the faces or at least from the nose up.

8. Merlin

We understand!

9. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

Here's some pics of Mustache hanging out with some of the students. She had just shed and so this was the first day she had been out for a week. The kids had choice time and asked if they could hold her. This is what they chose over games, drawing, etc.

Attached Files:

10. Merlin

Too Cool!

11. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

That's just wonderful! It is amazing how much kids love reptiles and amphibians when they get a chance to be around them. It's not only the warm and fuzzy pets that they love. We homeschool, and all the kids who come by here for co-ops and for our nature club just LOVE to meet our herps.

12. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

That is so awsome considering the fear that most people develope for snakes, and most other reptiles at that. I am just so overwhelmed with joy and it's so great that these wonderful kids are growing so attached to Mustache. I would bet twenty dollars that you'll have some kid come back to see you and Mustache and thank you for this love that you have put in there hearts. I don't mean to sound so emotional but I can't help it because this shows me that my dream is most definitely coming true. Thanks for sharing this and the pictures.

13. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Seeing those kids with the snake rocks!

14. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

Today was fun. Three seventh graders wanted to see Mustache. The two girls decided they wanted to hold her. The decided she was pretty cool. The boy just wanted to watch. Now the girls want Mustache to visit their room. Also, one of my families has decided they will house Mustache over the summer. Their dad had snakes as a kid and they are excited about keeping her. I think he will have more "play dates" than he has seen before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.