This Disappears When Logged In

I Wish I Knew...(tortoise Advice Thread)

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Moshpitrockchick, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Hello folks! I am likely going to go pick up my new (slightly used) Red Foot Tortoise on Monday and I want to hear what other tortoise owners wish they had known when they got theirs. Or any helpful extra advice you may have.

I know the basics, I've read the care sheets. I have years and years of reptile experience. I just want to hear what extra tid-bits you might have to offer.

Thanks for getting me off on a good start with my latest critter endeavor.

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Space... I got a Red Foot in the 80's and didn't really have a grip on the amount of space these guys really need.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Right now she's settling into her 3x4ft rabbit cage that she came with. We also have a 4x6ft tortoise table that is on wheels from the previous owner.

I'm hoping to build a nice pen out in the yard as well so she can be safe when we are outside working.

She's about the size of my hand so I have a little time before I need the big ol' adult space.

DwarvenChef likes this.
  4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

One thing often overlooked with RF's, they need good humidity.

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

My daughter got a tortoise (a young sulcata) and had her in an outdoor pen in Florida. Unfortunately my daughter underestimated the little creature's strength or ingenuity and she escaped the pen and was never found.

Be careful with the outdoor pen! Build it very strong and lock it.

And remember that there are predators out there too, who hang around in the sky and on land.

6. Moshpitrockchick

The plan right now is to build a recessed pen out of paving tall stones that are buried and then built up with an enclosed wire top. We are out in the country and have plenty of predators to watch out for from above and at ground level so it would just be while she can be observed.

TamJam likes this.