This Disappears When Logged In

I Was Adopted by a Gray Tree Frog

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by katrinaspooks, Jul 23, 2010.

1. katrinaspooks

katrinaspooks Member

Hi everyone,

Early Monday morning I found what I believe to be a juvenile gray tree frog clinging to the inside of my screen door. Apparently there was a slice in the screen. So now we are keeping "Mr. Sticky Fingers" (yes the kids named him) as a pet. I've done much reading on line about setting up a posh pad for him, and he is pooping, so I know he is eating. I had been catching bugs from outside for him, but purchased crickets for him yesterday. They are kind of on the big side for him since he is a baby, but I'm pretty sure one of them is missing this morning. The past two days, sticky has been hiding during the day under his moss and come out during the evening hours to eat. I told my kids that we could keep him as long as he continues to eat (and poop). From my reading gray tree frogs are relatively easy to keep as pets, so hopefully things continue to go well. Here is the only pic I have so far....when we first got him I put him in my trifle bowl. He's in a 10 gallon tank now. Those little froggies are hard to photograph!

Katrina

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
  2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

hi and welcome. Can you post a photo of the current setup?

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi and welcome to the Herp Center!:) I'm glad the adoption went well, and I'm glad to hear that he is out of the trifle bowl:confused:

4. katrinaspooks

katrinaspooks Member

Three crickets gone in 2 days. Does that sound good for a juvenile? Plus some other flies and moths that I've added in. Here's a picture of his current home. Judging by the dirt that was kicked up this morning when I woke up. It looks like he had a jolly good time for his first night in his new home.

Attached Files:

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Not bad. Is the room the tank is in naturally well lit? if not, you may want to help create a photoperiod by using a simple household light bulb.

6. schlegelbagel

go outside and pick up a few sticks that you can criss cross across the tank. There is a ton of wasted space in there.

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I agree, he will be happier with a more cluttered space. it looks nice though.

8. katrinaspooks

katrinaspooks Member

Thanks! I didn't know they liked it cluttered. I added some real plants in small pots to the tank. I read that philodendrons are safe. He does quite a bit of scaling around on the walls too. Here is a photo I got of him last night. The tank is next to our sliding glass door. He gets a bit of direct late afternoon sun. But in general I think It's ok for lighting.

Attached Files:

9. schlegelbagel

No direct sun! Think of what happens to your car on a sunny day. Same thing with a glass tank.

10. katrinaspooks

katrinaspooks Member

The tank is not actually in the direct sun as I have examined it. It's against the side wall so it gets pretty bright at 3 pm, but no 'direct sun'. Good to know! My daughter thinks he's growing, so that's a good sign. In the past I have had an iguana and a chamelion so it's been fun getting reaquainted with the herp world. Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. I just love that little guy!

11. katrinaspooks

katrinaspooks Member

Finally I got a good picture of mr. sticky!!

Attached Files:

12. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

he's pretty cute lookin, i probably woulda ended up keeping him too if we had frogs like that around here heh.

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Mr. Sticky is too cute! Hope your having lots of fun with the little one.

14. CyndiB

CyndiB Member

Aren't they just adorable! If we did not already have a few bullfrog tadpoles in our small cube tank...I would have had DH keep the little Gray Tree Frog he found on the grass while I was looking for crickets for the green frog in the pond. What a little cutie! We had tons of them develop from tadpoles last spring ('09) but none this year due to the pool being officially a 4' pond. We miss the little cuties although we hear them and see them in the early evening in Spring. Have fun with Mr. Sticky Toes!

CyndiB.

15. w00dg0blin

w00dg0blin New Member

Does he sing at night? I'd love to have a tree frog but some of them have somewhat annoying "songs".

16. missa6849

missa6849 Guest

Oh he is so cute!!

17. katrinaspooks

katrinaspooks Member

Never sings. Why?

18. schlegelbagel

girl frogs don't sing ;)

19. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

And it could be too young to sing. I don't think you will be able to definitely confirm that until next spring -- then at that point, if still no singing, Mr. Sticky is probably a Ms. Sticky ;)

All 4 of mine turned out to be girls, I was very disappointed! I so wanted some chirping... pout.

I'm glad you are having fun with him (her). Mr. Sticky is adorable!!!

20. katrinaspooks

katrinaspooks Member

Whether it's a he or a she, it's getting plump. I think it's time for him to get on the froggy treadmill.