This Disappears When Logged In

I Think My BP is Sick and Idk Whats Wrong

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by trinasuders, Mar 1, 2014.

1. trinasuders

trinasuders Active Member

i have a BP ive only had her for about at the most 6 months i bought from pet smart. shes in a 50 gallon tank and shes always been happy in there until recently so i dont think its too big for her. im using news paper for her substrate. i have a light for day and night for her to keep the temps up and a UTH the tempertures are always where there supposed to be the humidity isnt always exactly right i have to fix it when i get home from work and before work but its never really bad or far off. she just started to eat small rats and im concerned because shes been starting to act weird i thought she may have been dead this morning she hasnt been doing anything that she usually does. usually when i clean her cage she would roam all over the place and explore im guessing to put her scent back on everything but now she doesnt even do that she just goes back into her hide and stays there she never comes out and shell lay there with her head down on the bottom of the tank on its side and she doesnt move at all not even at night. ive checked for RI i havent found anything and she doesnt make any noise either so idk if its RI. shes in shed right now and she refused food for the first time ive tried to feed her while she shed before and there was no problem, shes just acting really strange like shes dying and she wont do anything ive tried a warm bath multiple times also to make sure shes not constipated. it hasnt worked yet. does anyone know what this could be?

Attached Files:

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Exactly what temperature is she at? Are you using heat bulbs/lamps (they tend to dry the air out)? Keep the humidity between 50-60%, and raise it slightly when she's in shed. She looks healthy in the picture:)
    It might just be temporary "bad mood", especially since she's about to shed. Snakes will often hide and stay still for long periods of time when they're blue. They can't see very well and are vulnerable during that time, so it's natural for them to stay put. They also often refuse food while in shed. However, you said she's lying sideways on the bottom of the tank? That's the worrying part. Try flipping her over on her back to see if she can right herself immediately. If she has trouble turning over, you should see the vet ASAP, it could be neurological damage. However, it might just as well be nothing, so don't worry in advance. She might just have a peculiar quirk. I mean, you should see the positions my snake sometimes sleeps in...God knows how many times I've had to prod him to make sure he's alive. Anyway, don't worry, it's probably nothing serious. If this behaviour continues for too long, though, then a trip to the vet won't hurt:)

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

agreed, what are your temps at and how are they being measured, is there any place for the animal to hide? maybe with larger meals it's more content and is not looking for food as actively.... Some also slow down after some good meals for no other reason then the fact that they are ball pythons :) hard to tell...

4. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

When you say, "i have a light for day and night for her to keep the temps up" Does that mean 24 hours a day?

5. trinasuders

not usually i usually just have a day light on while im at work and at night i have my room nice and warm due to this awful cold weather so i just keep the lights in that room off. and her temps and humidity are mesaured with zoo med thermometers and hygrometer.
    but usually when she sheds she still eats this is the first time shes ever not eaten which i know isnt a big deal that not my main concern shes just acting strange maybe it is because she just started eating rats and it took her longer than usual to eat since its a bigger meal.

6. trinasuders

also i just noticed she has alot of dry scales after she sheds.

7. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Raise the humidity and make sure your measuring instruments are accurate (digital are by far the best option). Are you sure it's not stuck shed? If it is, there are a couple of tricks you could use, like putting the snake in a pillow case with a wet towel and leaving him in his tank overnight. Or warm soaks. Pictures would be nice, from your descriptions it could be a thousand different things and it's hard to give any specific advice. First of all, make sure you keep the humidity between 50-60% and the temps between 80-85 during the day, with a basking spot of 90 degrees. That is key for proper development.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You still haven't given us the numbers! either things are correct or they aren't.

9. trinasuders

the humidity is never lower then 40 when i get home from work but i turn her fogger on for a few minutes and keep it up the rest of the night to about 70 atm because shes starting to shed. and its 85 in her tank.

- - - Updated - - -

ive been giving her warm soaks everyday this week for 15 minutes to help her go to the bathroom and to also help with her shedding. she hasnt went for awhile now which is unusual for her. ill take pics.

10. trinasuders

photo 2.jpg photo 1.jpg photo 3.jpg as you can see shes in her hide which is ontop of her UTH atm i have her lights off because its her "night time" and being winter i have a heater in my room so it gets to hot in her tank if i use a night light and ive read a few different places that most people just cover there BP at night as long as the temps stay around 75-80 which hers do. but she used to come out of her hide in the mornings when i would turn her light on when i was getting ready for work to say hi she doesnt do that and when i clean her cage every firday she used to roam all around rubbing all over everything after i put her back in her cage after she was fed and she wont do that either anymore she just hides 24/7 and the one pic you can kinda see some of the stuck scales.

11. trinasuders

also i just notcied earlier when i soaked her her eyes were cloudy because i thought she was getting ready to shed. they arent cloudy anymore this happend last time to its also taking her much longer to shed. it used to take maybe a week once her eyes got cloudy now its taking maybe 2 weeks and a few days sometimes. i made her an apointment for friday

12. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

By saying that the enclosure is 85 degrees, do you mean the temperature is the same throughout the tank? If it is, then it shouldn't be. You need to provide a cool side (between 77-80) and a hot side (between 87-90), so that the snake can regulate its body temperature properly. BPs are generally rather inactive, but if she's being abnormally lethargic then it's a big warning sign. The temps could be too low. Shedding sometimes takes longer than usual and it's normal; but are you saying that her clear period lasts 2 weeks??? That's way too long. heck, even one week is a bit on the long side. When she sheds, is it good (eyecaps come off, skin peels off in one piece)? The humidity is not very good for a ball python; it shouldn't drop lower than 50% (55% is better). When she's in shed you might want to raise it to about 65%. Most problems can be resolved with proper husbandry, but it's good you're taking her to a vet anyway:)

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you post an overall photo of the tank?

14. trinasuders

well i cant really quit my job to make sure that her humidity is up all the time yahno? im doing my best i check on her as soon as i walk through the door and no the temp on the hot side is 80-85 the cool side is usually around 70ish maybe a few degrees higher and yes when she sheds shes fine the last time it took a long time for her to shed her eyes kept getting cloudy and then clear and then cloudy and finally she shed it always comes off in one piece and so do her eye caps. shes never really had a bad shed except for the very first one after that she got the hang of it. and yes ill post a picture of the tank.

15. trinasuders

photo.jpg heres her tank. the one hide is placed right ontop of her UTH and thats usually where she stays in there and the other is on the cool side. i leave the big bowl in there for her cause i have to give her a warm bath everyday to help her try go to the bathroom. (my parents wont leave me use the tub for her so i got to use the bowl. and it helps with humidity during the day while im away.

16. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

You should increase the temperatures, 70 is way too low for a ball python, even on the cool side. Like I said, 77-80 on the cool side and around 87 on the hot side, ideally with a basking spot of 90 degrees. And the humidity should not fall below 50%, regardless of whether you're at home or not. The higher temps will help with the humidity as more water will evaporate. To make things easier, you can put the water bowl over the heater.

17. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Ok, a couple thing I haven't really seen addressed yet. It looks like you have a screen top on the cage, and that you may have covered at least part of it with something. If it's not already, start by covering all of it except where the light goes through with tinfoil, plastic wrap, plexiglass, etc., something non permeable, to keep in heat and humidity. You really only need to know 3 numbers, the hotspot temp of around 90, the cool end temp around 80, and the humidity of around 50%. Changing to cypress mulch or adding some sphagnum moss would probably help stabilize the humidity. If she is shedding in one piece then your not doing too bad with the humidity anyway. As for her odd behavior, almost sounds like what females do when they are getting ready to produce eggs. And the not eating is no big deal during shed, it's actually fairly normal for bps. I would let her shed out and then she if she goes back to normal.

Edit: Just went back and looked at the picture of her again and she doesn't appear to be any where near old enough to be exhibiting and reproductive behavior. What I said still stands though, let her shed out and see if she goes back to normal.

18. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Ok sorry for being a bit scatter brained this morning, work's a bit hectic and I can't edit my last post at this point. Forgot to add that the not pooping can be because of the shedding. Some of mine seem to like to save it and then destroy their cage real good for me.

19. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Things to do: Get the snake a plastic tote or display enclosure. That will help you maintain humidity. I don't mist cages anymore because my plastic and display enclosures stay at 60% humidity minimum. Secondly, take it to the vet. If you're convinced that your pet is suffering and/or dieing you need to take it to a vet.

20. trinasuders

i took her to the vet and what i have found out is shes perfectly fine. i didnt know this but she shed this morning while i was at work my mom picked me up from work with her so i didnt know she shed but she has shed and its all in one piece. ive thought about getting her a plastic tote their real cheap at walmart but idk how i would use her light and the fogger i bought her? also i found out at the vet that stella is actually a boy so does anyone have any good boy snake names? lol. but besides that he is acting fine now he was happy to be back home hes just never really acted like this before even when he shed so i started to worry. but oh well he needed a vet appointment. so i dont think the laying eggs thing will be a concern of mine..