This Disappears When Logged In

I think he flew in with the hurricane.

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Ssativa, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

Who's seen one of these?
    http://www.repticzone.net/images/5048/frog.jpg
    I caught this little guy yesterday just long enough to get a pic. He doesn't look at all like the toads that live around here, and we have them of all sizes. It doesn't look like a spring peeper, and definitely is not a tree frog. It could've come in with one of the hurricanes we've had recently. Does anyone know what kind of frog or toad this is?

2. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I don't know much about frogs/toads but I know a cute one when I see it! :)

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

How did I miss this one? Hmm, well he's a juvenile, that's for sure. And he's definately a toad in the genus Bufo. What part of Florida are you from? There are at least 4 toad species that I can think of that reside in florida, but they don't all live in the same areas. There are oak toads, southern toads, fowler's toads, and marine toads (cane toad, giant toad).

4. Ssativa

I live in South Florida in the Miami, Ft. Lauderdale area. There is only one kind of toad that I normally see around here. I don't know what it is called, but they can get almost as big as a cat:eek: and when frightened, they secrete a whiteish poisen from the glands on their necks . My dog licks them and then gets all hyper. I may need to take her to doggie drug rehab soon.

This cute little guy is different though. I'd rather have more toads like him then those big ugly things. :p

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

The toad you speak of is the marine toad (Bufo marinus). They're non-native to our country, but live in isolated areas of florida and some other southern states. You better watch your dog! Marine toads are extremely toxic and that white poison coming from the paratoid glands is strong enough to kill him if he ingests enough :( It could even make YOU really sick. Hmm, I'm not too good at IDing toadlets, especially if they're not from ND. It could be a marine toad...I think. I saw a picture of a marine toadlet, once. But I can't really make out the paratoid glands in your pic, but that could be because its a toadlet. I don't think its a fowlers or an oak. Yeah, definately not a fowlers if you're in south florida. I don't know much about southern toads, so I guess its either one of those or a marine toad. :rolleyes:

6. Ssativa

If the big ugly poison squirting toads that live around here are Marine toads, then the unidentified toady that I have pictured is definitely not a Marine toad. This little toady that I caught recently was a marbled color with orange spots and distinctly striped legs. It was a quick and strategic jumper, unlike the marine toads which always end up jumping right at you instead of away from you.
    We have Marine toads in all stages and sizes. Needless to say, I know what the babies look like. They are small and brown and they are clumsy hoppers. It’s like they breed year round here and in such large numbers its disgusting. I think they come from the small black tadpoles that fill our lakes.

However, I'm not sure what kind of toad comes from these eggs.
    http://www.repticzone.net/images/5048/froggembrio.jpg.
    http://www.repticzone.net/images/5048/embriocopy.jpg
    I kept some of the eggs until they hatched but, shortly after, I decided to return the little (toadies, or frogies) to where I found them. Here is a picture of one after hatching. Sorry the pictures not so good but it should give you a general idea of what they looked like.
    http://www.repticzone.net/images/5048/DSC00358.JPG

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'd say the little guy's a juvenile southern toad then. Both southern and oak toads can be found all over florida, but he doesn't look anything like an oak toad if you ask me. I'm not sure what type of eggs you found there, but they're from some sort of frog, not a toad. I'll look into it though. You got me curious again :rolleyes:

8. samantha

samantha Elite Member

i htink youre right i think its a juvenile southern toad, sure is a cutie!

those squirting things sound kool, but your dog needs to stop doing toad{ funny if you watch family guy} give up the toad now. okay seriously though it could be really bad for him. im hyper

9. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

I know next to nothing about frogs and toads but that is awesome looking. :eek:

10. steveig2

steveig2 Elite Member

Toad. the drug for the new milenia dont get hooked on this one folks... =) hehe

11. samantha

samantha Elite Member

Marine toad is also called the giant toad. Animals that bite them become sick and can die.

12. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Its rehab time lol! my dogs would do the same thing if we lived there! :D

13. samantha

samantha Elite Member

hmm, those eggs look like somehting i have seen gotta look, i think its salamander eggs of some sort. coluld be worng thats off the top of my head...

14. Ssativa

I'm pretty sure that it is too warm here in Florida for salamanders to live in the wild.

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Oh contraire. You guys got alabama waterdogs, two-toed amphiumas, one-toaed amphiumas, greater sirens, eastern sirens, dwarf sirens, mole salamanders, marbled salamanders, flatwoods salamanders, eastern tiger salamanders, penninsular and central eastern newts, striped newts, spotted dusky salamanders, southern dusky salamanders, apalachicola dusky salamanders, southeastern slimy salamanders, four-toed salamanders, rusty mud salamanders, southern red salamanders, southern two-lined salamanders, three-lined longtail salamanders, and dwarf salamanders ;)

16. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

when i go camping, i usually am able to catch newly metamorphasized toads by the hundreds! That looks like the ones i catch but they are not the same species, i live in North GA, the most prominent species here is Bufo Americanus. I think that's it, i may be wrong but that's what i think they are called.

and btw, there are many tropical species of salamanders. I am almost positive florida is no exception and has many wild native species.

17. Ssativa

I stand corrected

Of course, all those native species and I end up with the ones that require cool temperatures. I have a Mudpuppy that was sold to me as a waterdog and two Chinese fire-bellied newts. I have a hard time keeping the temps down. I had no idea that salamanders lived in Florida. I've lived here my whole life and I have never seen one in the wild.

18. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Most of the sallies in FL are hard to find. The majority only live in the northernmost regions of the state, and most of the rest are strictly aquatic. Try looking under logs in remote, damp areas and you might get lucky. Streams may yield some too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.