This Disappears When Logged In

I Ran Out of Crickets. What Can I Feed My Tree Frogs.

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by NeoLover, Jul 11, 2012.

1. NeoLover

NeoLover Elite Member

Ok so a last week my beloved tree frogs Neo and Leaf escaped and I couldn't find them for 4 days. When I found them, I thought they were dead. They were severely dehydrated and starving. So I rehydrated them and went to feed them only to quickly discover that all the crickets I have had grown to big. So, I caught a few wild ones and fed them (Sunday). But on Monday I couldn't find any outside so they weren't able to eat, and yesterday (Tuesday) was no luckier. It's early on Wednesday now, but they are so hungry and I can see most of their bones jutting out. I can't get to the store till Friday or Saturday to get more. But without food they'll die before then. I also have a Bearded Dragon named Blair and have superworms, silkworms, butterworms, and phoenixworms for him, the supers and silks are way to big for my frogs and Neo throws up every phoenix worm he's ever eaten. So the question is. (1: can they eat butterworms (2: if not, what can I catch to feed them.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You shouldn't be feeding them anything from outside at all. You could end up catching an insect covered in pesticide or another chemical that could kill your frogs. It should also be noted that wild caught insects are known for giving captive reptiles and amphibians parasites.

You can feed them the butterworms until you get to the store Friday.

3. NeoLover

NeoLover Elite Member

Ok thanks so much! Neo and Leaf'll appreciate it! (And I know wild caught food is bad for them, I just needed to get food into them)

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

4 days of no food shouldn't make them have bones sticking out. Something else is wrong. My guys get a bowl full of dubia roaches about every 5 days and are fat and plump and happy.

5. NeoLover

NeoLover Elite Member

I hope they're not too sick then. (I feed Neo 10 crickets a day and Leaf gets 7 crickets a day)

6. schlegelbagel

I noticed in another thread you said you were keeping your guys the same was as the other poster, yet that poster's care was sub-par. Can you list how they are being housed?

7. NeoLover

NeoLover Elite Member

It's a 10 gallon glass aquarium with a screen top. The bedding is a layer of bark covered with a layer of moss. There is a large water dish. Climbing branches, a plastic plant, and a fake rock hide out. Humidity is close to 80% and the temperature stays about 78-82 degrees F.

8. schlegelbagel

1. it's too small. I always suggest minimum of 29 gallons. You just can't get a heat gradient in a 10.

2. Bad substrate. Moss AND bark is an impaction risk. Go for a brick of eco-earth.

3. Your temps could stand to be a bit higher. I always say they need at least 85 degrees during the day with a 10 degree drop for night. They have to have an area to thermo-regulate in order to process all the food they are given. Are you gut loading your crickets?

4. that is a LOT of crickets. So they are either too small for your frogs, that's why they are eating so many, or your frogs have a heavy parasite load and they are literally eating your frogs to death. How old are your frogs and what size are the crickets. An adult frog really only needs about 5 adult crickets every other day.

9. NeoLover

NeoLover Elite Member

1: my mom and dad won't buy me a bigger tank.
    2: they don't eat in the cage.
    3: I'm working on getting an under tank heater. Yes the crickets are gut loaded.
    4: Neo's wild caught and I've had him since September, I have no idea how old he is. I got Leaf at petsmart about 4-5 months ago and have no idea how old she is. I feed them small feeder crickets from petsmart.

10. NeoLover

NeoLover Elite Member

I feed them in little 2 gallon cricket totes. This way the crickets can't hide, the frogs don't ingest the bedding by accident, and I can make sure they're eating all that I give them.

The crickets get fed oats, fish flakes, orange cricket cubes, fresh fruit and veggies, and its all dusted in frog vitamin powder.

11. schlegelbagel

wait wait wait. You caught one from outside and the other was purchased? What type of frogs are we talking about???

12. NeoLover

NeoLover Elite Member

Neo (wild caught) is a grey tree frog. Leaf (store bought) is a green tree frog.

13. schlegelbagel

In that case, two bits of advice.

your temps are fine, I thought we were talking about WTF

BUT because your grey tree frog is wild caught, it most likely has parasites and has now transferred them to your green tree frog. This is why they eat so much and don't ever gain weight. The only remedy for this is an antibiotic dose given by a vet.

14. NeoLover

NeoLover Elite Member

Oops sorry should have specified. And I have been looking for a vet near me but have been having no luck. My beardie and frogs are WAY overdue for a checkup. (Don't know if this could have something to do with it but Leaf had MBD when we bought her)

15. schlegelbagel

Where in Michigan are you? We have several members from MI and can probably suggest a vet.

16. NeoLover

NeoLover Elite Member

I live in a small time about 45 minutes from Lansing.