This Disappears When Logged In

I need info on waterproof foam please

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Paige, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paige

Paige Elite Member

beckett waterfall foam sealant - Google Product Search

Here is a link of expanding foam that is waterproof. Is it better than expanding foam or great foam?

beckett waterfall foam sealant - Google Search

Any ideas?

If this will keep me from the trouble of sealing with silicone, I think it is worth 14 bucks! I might even be able to add teh EE right into this? I don't know though about that. Thanks!

Here is some more:

Fm12, 12 OZ, Black Waterfall Foam, Easy To Use Dispenser Tube, Fish Safe, Easy To Hide Black Color, Seal Gaps Under Stones Forcing Water Over The Top.
    12OZ BLK Waterfall Foam

This is the search in case the links didn't work. Thanks so much!

Product search results for beckett waterfall foam sealant
    Beckett Professional Waterfall ... $14.99 - BestNest.com
    7109510 Fm12 12 OZ Black ... $14.99 - Ideal True Value ...
    12OZ BLK Waterfall Foam $13.72 - TheGreatHardwareStor ...

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: need info on waterproof foam please

my friend builds custom aquariums and they use great stuff all the time. Its even sold in aquarium stores. The silicone isn't for sealing, its to make the great stuff stick to it.

3. Paige

Paige Elite Member

ok, right. but what about adding the silicone to the great stuff (for sealing and adding EE). My tank will be humid. I was worried the GS wouldn't hold up...I thought the waterproof would hold up better? I guess if the GS is fine then I will use it cause it is way cheaper....but may end up the same with the silicone I will have to?

Could the EE stick the the Beckett foam sealent? I would use the silicone over the GS though and not the Beckett sealent...right?

I guess I will stick to the original plan with the silicone GS silicone/EE idea like everyone else has done. I was just thinking to skip the last step and hopefully save some money..but I guess it would all run the same.

Thaks for the reply.

4. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yes that is water proof and is great. Used a case on the pond in thr front yard to hold rocks in place. It works, but it is costly stuff.

5. schlegelbagel

if you are worried, use the selant in the places where water will touch. I have no idea how the ee will stick to it. You my dear, are the guniea pig.

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

it wont stick good to the foam stuff, but then again, its held 20 pound rocks or so in place for 2 years. lol

There is another caulk that ive used at work, by a company called Wedi, they make foam shower boards that are water proof. The caulking is really gooey and tacky, i made a mess with it lol. But it would work great for this. May cost more. lol

7. schlegelbagel

I would do foam -> sealant -> silicone/ee where you want it.

8. Paige

Paige Elite Member

ok thanks! yeah it does cost alot..so I guess I will do it like you say. I am using the mortar on the pool side though so maybe it will be ok since I doubt it will be in contact with water...except sprayed mist at times (but maybe not if the pools keep the humidity up?) see I just don't know =) Wouldn't the silicone seal the foam when I add it on top with the EE? I put it one think right?

9. schlegelbagel

english? :p

GS --> silicone --> ee, yes, those areas will be sealed. Just be sure the silicone isn't submerged, unless you get the aquarium sealant. Thats ok to keep under water.

And no, you don't know what the humidity will be until you get things running. Trust me, I was having all the same thoughts building the first viv. As long as you give the mortar time to cure properly, it will be safe for the critters. Read everything the company included with the fancy stuff, to be sure you are using it right, and in the right places.

10. Paige

Paige Elite Member

ok. thanks...actually I have no idea what I was saying lol! I added the silicone layer so all I have to do now is bake the wood and EE..so I can strat the foam layer. I am definately doing the pool side with the mortar so I won't have any silicone exposed there.

I might need to run out and get more silicone I used one and alittle for the first layer and the pools. (the aquarium rocks didn't stick too well tot he silicone) I should have added a thicker layer there.) I might add some mortar to the exposed silicone on the pool floors. I hope that will secure the rocks and still have grip for the crabbies....not covering the rocks up.

11. schlegelbagel

sounds like you are thinking it through well. :)

12. Paige

Paige Elite Member

thanks! and I couldn't do it without your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.