This Disappears When Logged In

I Need Help

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by barrington, Jul 23, 2018.

1. barrington

barrington Active Member

so i have a black roughneck monitor and ive had it for a while now and its enclosure is sizable for him i will get straight to the point both of the lights to the cage went out and it brought the temp in the environment to 85 degrees in the basking area and 80 in the middle of the cage and 83 is on the low end. since this occurance i hae in fact seen and interacted with my lizard alot more and he is about and out more i dont knoe if this is good thing or not before he always hid came only out at night briefly or when noone was home for long periods of time before his cage was roughly about 90-95 in basking area and 85-90 in the middle and about 75-80 on the low end as of now he goes in his water and basks as well with the one light that is over his basking are as of now should i leave it like this or change it back'

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Are those the ambient (air) temps, and what`s the basking surface temp if they are?

3. barrington

barrington Active Member

those temps are what the thermometer are reading that i have posted around the terrarium for the monitor so i know the actual temp were i to get the gun and spot temp check itd be hotter.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How did you get 85f in the basking area, 83f in the cooler parts and 80f in the middle, which means there`s only 5f difference throughout the enclosure?
    Can you show a photo of the enclosure as it is right now, also tell me the size of the monitor and what type and wattage the basking bulb is?

5. Cherux02

Cherux02 Active Member

If the basking lights went out, you should replace them. If your enclosure is below the required temperature for the animal, you should raise it. It may be trying to find a better environment or too lethargic to hide and run from you. Be careful not to project your wishes onto the behavior change.

Lori68 likes this.
  6. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with Cherux02. Just because your monitor is now tractable doesn't mean things are better. That means your monitor is too cold to have any sort of reaction. Not healthy for the animal to be kept cold for long, so hopefully you have gone out and fixed this issue