This Disappears When Logged In

I Need Help!

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by ZeroFoxGolf, Jan 21, 2018.

1. ZeroFoxGolf

ZeroFoxGolf New Member

I have an older boa, after taking over her care and getting her back into health. My girl has developed spots that her scales have come off down to bare flesh, though scale rot has been removed as a possiblity as well as burns as she can't get close enough to touch her lamps. The rest of her looks fine but the two areas described I took her to a reputable vet (Dr. Fitzgerald) and he prescribed antibiotics. After 2 sheds, she still isn't showing signs of improvement. She's also had a hard time sheding despite regular warm baths. I have no clue what to do, the vet doesn't know what else to do either as her viral and bacterial tests came back negative.

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Maybe post some pics of her? Baths aren't a substitute for proper humidity. What are your heat and humidity levels, and how are you measuring them? Also please include pics of the enclosure and describe conditions as much as you can.

3. ZeroFoxGolf

ZeroFoxGolf New Member

I've moved her away from the other room and she's now in a 100gal with paper towel substrate until I figure out if it could hop to my carpet and ball pythons. Her humidity is a constant 75-80%, ambient day temp of 85, basking at 97. Using analog for measurements on humidity, both digital and analog for temp. Here's the best she's let me get of them, after application of the topical, she gets aggressive (understandably).

This came up out of no where. She was doing wonderful and had her first full shed in years until this came over her.

Attached Files:

4. AmityReptiles

To me it looks like she got a bad scrape. Keep applying the antibiotic ointment. It seems like she was having trouble shedding, and scraped against something too hard and sheared off a couple sections of scales. This would explain the triangular pattern of the wound. One of mine has done this once, although she only lost a couple of scales. It will take a few sheds before the scales start growing back.
    Likely your humidity is different than what the analogs are showing, they are highly inaccurate. Also where is the humidity guage placed?
    I recommend getting a digital hygrometer with a probe (very inexpensive), and attaching the probe down where the snake is so you can get a good read of the humidity.
    Honestly maybe find a new vet...

5. ZeroFoxGolf

ZeroFoxGolf New Member

There is one in the middle of the tank along with the "dry" side but she was about a week out of shed, would this still be the case? I rarely look to vets but this scared me, her age doesn't help her health any. Luckily her appetite didn't die off. Thanks for the advice, I'll get a few digital hydrometers. I'll keep you posted.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, just to mention that the scales will not regrow, the areas will darken over time (but that's only cosmetic). The wounds should be kept dry, and I would recommend you use a diluted iodine solution @ ten parts water to one part iodine, apply once daily do not rinse off.
    You cannot measure the basking surface temp accurately unless you use an IR Temp-gun (cheap but accurate).
    I agree you need to stop bathing the snake.
    Do you have an idea of it`s age and do you ever feed live prey?

Digital Infrared Handheld Temperature Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point | eBay

AmityReptiles likes this.
  7. AmityReptiles

Your probably right with the probable scarring and age of the boa. But one can always hope that some will grow back. Mine did, however like I said it was only a couple scales, and the boa was just a few years old.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If the skin was not removed the scales should regrow, but it will take many sheds. In fact with an older animal it very well may not have that many shed cycles left, but the main thing will be to keep the enclosure meticulously clean and make sure the areas don't become infected.
    Just curious, has this animal had any recent escapes? Almost looks as if it tried to get through too small an opening somewhere.