This Disappears When Logged In

I Need Help

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Chameleons4Life, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chameleons4Life

Chameleons4Life New Member

My Chameleon, Jacki, looks starved to death. Ive noticed an abcess on the left eye socket, have a vet appt. But now shes starting to show signs of malnurishment and dehydration all in one night. She wont drink, but i managed to make her mad and pour 1/3 water cap full of water in her mouth. I then tried again, a little while later, without provoking her, and she took it, spitting out a tiny bit. I lightly misted her cage, and turned off for the night. When I woke up and fed her this morning, she couldn't catch a crick. It was like her tongue had no stick. Now she wont even open her eyes.

My cage is 4':2':6', i have both UVB/UVA basking lamps, 3-4 inches from a half/half shady/sunny basking area. tons of vines. I dont think i did anything wrong... But now she is so skinny, i can see her skeleton, it scares me.

2. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

It sounds rather grim for your cham. It's normally not more than 3-4 day of rapid decline before they move on and they're good about hiding it from you till then. I would try to get her re-hydrated, but use a pipet to drip water onto the mouth area. And check the temp. and humidity just to make sure there where they should be. Best of luck with your cham.

3. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

I'm sorry that hear that your cham isn't doing so well.
    Here are some good thoughts to you.

4. shannond81391

shannond81391 Elite Member

Well sometimes the way chameleons bask, turn around you can see they're complete skeleton. How old ist it? and what species?

5. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I wouldn't try pouring water into his mouth. Some pet stores sell a syringe with a plastic needle so you can slowly squirt water into their mouths. You can even do it drop by drop.

Chams also will flatten out their body to look like a branch from a certain direction. They will maneuver around so that you are always looking at the thinnest possible silhouette.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.