This Disappears When Logged In

I Need Help Choosing... Badly!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Charlie Clifford, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Charlie Clifford

Charlie Clifford New Member

Hello everybody, I have been a snake lover since i was old enough to read or talk. I was wondering about a pet snake recommendation, ( I have been researching for months and I think I have my mom coaxed into letting one in the house ) And I was wondering if you guys/guy could help me out. I am looking for a snake that:

Does not get older than 20 years, 20+ being a huge stretch,

Does not get longer than 4-5 feet,

One that you can calmly hang out with and carry around the house,

A species that is active enough to roam around in my room and outside,

And finally something out of the ordinary.

I know corn snakes fit into basically all those categories, except the last one. The snakes I was looking into were basically all of them under $145, but the kinds that actually stuck out were hognose, Brazilian/Columbian rainbow python, mexican black kingsnake, and others but I really need some help on deciding. If you could help me out that would be great.

- Charlie

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC! You sound like me when I was a youngster.

You have some issues with your requirements. First, an active snake is really not going to be a couch potato. It is constantly going to be on the move. That doesn't mean that you can't hang out with it, just that you will have to be in constant awareness and control of what the snake is doing.
    And a snake that is content to be sedentary, is not really going to be moving around a lot. Ball pythons are notorious for being pet rocks!
    This is a major issue. NEVER allow a snake to just roam in the room or out. Go thru this forum and look at all the "I lost my snake!' posts. There are way to many ways for you to lose the snake, either in holes you were not aware of or particularly outside, a bird can swoop down and carry it off before you realize it. And snakes can move faster than most people realize.
    One minute its there and the next its gone!
    Something you need to consider is why something is out of the ordinary. Either they are not readily available, they have husbandry issues that are challenging, or they just don't make very good pets. And often they are quite expensive. I recommend cornsnakes for beginners because they are simple to keep readily available and quite docile, not to mention available in a variety of colors. And I would advise You to check out reptile shows. Breeders sell corns for MUCH less than 145 dollars. I regular see corns for as little as 10 dollars. You will also be able to see and interact with species that are not normally found in pet shops.
    Good luck in your search.

Darkbird likes this.
  3. Charlie Clifford

Charlie Clifford New Member

Thanks you very much Merlin. I meant i could let my pet snake get a little exercise around my room UNDER MY SUPERVISION, of course. Not that dumb haha. Same thing for outside. Thanks.