This Disappears When Logged In

I Need an Advice ...

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by memen, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. memen

memen Elite Member

Ahh I got a little bored, but when I get bored I take her in my hands and I talk with her :D and stroke her :D....

2. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Hmmm...I need to start teaching Tito "Stay." I got him to "stay" in his water dish for a bath once. :) I didn't actually TELL him to stay though. That's a good idea.

3. memen

memen Elite Member

I didn't know that iggys can learn some stuff I only knew that they are lazy when they get old xD.

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

You can teach your ig a lot of things.;)

I think you don't understand what I mean with walk in the house.

Remember - in Cookies mind - you catching her and holding her means that she is going back in her cage. Now you must show her that holding her also means FUN.;)

She already had the whole house to run around in and she knows you already for 1 and a half years so the only thing you need to teach her is that holding her is OK. Just sitting in the bathroom with her will not teach her that.

Take her out and while securely holding her walk around in the house. Stop and let her taste the wall and everything else that she finds interesting. Every time that she starts squirming again - turn her around that she faces you and tell her NO-NO-NO. After walking through the house and what ever and she is nice and calm then you can let her sit with you in a small secure room.;)

I promise you that you will get much faster results that way.

5. memen

memen Elite Member

Ahaaa... Hmms well she doest squirms a lot only when i want to cacth her... I think she trust me more but I still need to get lots of her trust ...So when she lick,smell,lock... the walls, door, table... I let her walk or I have her still in my hands...?:p

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

She must be in your hands, do NOT let go of her, you are teaching her that holding is not only bad but good.

The only place were you put her down is in the bathroom or secure room.

7. memen

memen Elite Member

aha okay thanks il try it today in few h :D

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And I think that you misunderstood the purpose of the leash.
    It is not to walk the ig like a dog or to tie them up. It is only a safety feature that gives YOU something to get hold of if something causes them to try to run away.

9. memen

memen Elite Member

Yeah I know but i still have a bad feeling when i see an animal on a leash its like he has limited freedom ...

10. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

sometimes that is good, you don't want your iguanas freedom to go straight up a tree or into a busy street.

Iguanas will never come when called if scared, will never stop to think about cars, neighbors dogs and so forth. You have to think for them and stop them from killing themselves.

You don't have to use it when in the house, however it is good to put it on in the house to get them to be used to it, and not stress out and squirm and run and roll (basically to lose their mind)

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The same could be said about putting them in a cage or even by confining them to your house! You have to consider that we have taken these animals and put them into a very unnatural situation. We HAVE to limit their freedom in order to properly care for them and keep them safe.
    Another thing to think about.
    If you have them to where they accept the leash it actually expands their freedom since you can take them outside to places that otherwise would NOT be safe instead of keeping them in the cage or the house.

12. memen

memen Elite Member

Well yea ... anyway if I put my iggy on a leash she will start to squirm and she will run away.

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Not if you put it on right, and if she is used to it before.

That's why it is suggested for you to put it on her in the house so she becomes used to it, as well as hold her out side so she cannot get away, but if she happens to jump or anything you will have the leash to hold her.

It is a simple loop before the back legs that the back legs cannot slip through, but not tight enough to cause much discomfort nor damage to the spikes.

14. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

I know it's around here somewhere. Does anyone have the directions on how to make a leash? I want to make one so Yoshi can go out and get some rays.

Thanks,
    Danni

15. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

16. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Memen, how can Cookie run away from you if you are either holding her or sitting in the bathroom? If she climbed off your legs in the bathroom then you have to slowly approach her - showing her both your hands and scoop her up. You have to do this over and over again until you both get it right that she does not run.

When she is used to this and you give her a bit more freedom in another room then you must use exactly the same method to approach her and pick her up.

In another post you said that she was cold, so that means you don't have heating in your house, just like my house. I have 3 extension cords with a light fitting on it and a red 175W basking light that I use to give my iguana heat when he is free in my house.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see in the picture that it is held with 2 hooks. The one in the picture stays there permanently because he loves the biggest tree most. The second one is in my bedroom and the third one is used anywhere that he might decide to settle down at.

This way he is always warm and happy and I can have him with me for long periods of time.;)

17. memen

memen Elite Member

Ahh we have realy hot house in the summer and in the winter we have heating but the bathroom is cold that is why I said that :p we also have many windows in the house so she can warm up there :p.

18. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

WOW Linky, that is a REALLY high ceiling. I'd love to have some that high so I could build Buddy a really BIG enclosure:)

19. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Right on Merlin!

Having a pretty successfully socialized male (as the people who met him have told me), I firmly believe that much of his socialization came from being outside, among many people and kids, always interacting with the outside world as we know it, and always secured with a leash.

He spend countless Sundays on his leash at soccer games, where there was noise and dogs and kids and people constantly looking at him and interacting with him. Yes, of course he was frightened many times, but he learned that he was safe with us and that no harm would come to him while we were around. After some time (and growth) he was completely comfortable in the outside world.

After his second walk-about (without the leash, for over 30 days), we no longer took him with us everywhere we went. This had a negative effect on his socialization. When we moved to NC and took him to a Blessing of the Animals at our local church, he freaked from all the dogs around and spent most of the day with a towel over his head.

So, while I understand that leashes can be harmful (he is missing 3 spikes from the leash damage) and unnatural, it greatly helps in their socialization. Without it, it would be very difficult to manage a frightened 5-foot, 25 pound male iguana.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.