This Disappears When Logged In

I Need an Advice ...

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by memen, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Yay! you can even do it again today if you'd like if it isn't too late.

You can also get a human heat pad to put next to you after dark so she can sleep next to you on it for a while.

Another great thing to do is if sitting on the floor of the bathroom and she starts to walk off of you stop her hold her for a few seconds with out squirming then put her on the floor to explore. This will allow you to walk up to her in the house stop her and pick her up when ever you chose with out her fighting you. I do this with my ig all the time now she is currently walking around the living room and I can stop her when I want and put her in her cage.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

She was calm in the white, because they can't see white. It looks like nothingness to them!

3. memen

memen Elite Member

Yea i would do it again but its to late :(.Well i guess il have to wait till tomorow...

Is that a bad thing or good thing???

4. schlegelbagel

Its neither. Some igs freak out in all white, others don't really know what to do. Be glad yours didn't know what to do!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Memen, when you say she was cold, did you put her in a cold water bath?

6. memen

memen Elite Member

nope she was 1 h or more outside in normal temperature so....

Well when I went aut of the bathroom and went upstarirs she startted turning to me I think she likes that room :D.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Keep doing it! :)

8. memen

memen Elite Member

Still can't wait till tomorrow! :D

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That is what everyday with her should feel like, you must always be as excited as you are now!

Dont forget to slowly walk around with her in your house while holding her. By doing this it makes her getting used to being held and moving around calms her down and prevents the urge to want to run away from you. It is relaxing for her and when she is relaxed it is much easier for her to start trusting you.

PS: Don't forget to stop and let her taste the walls, doors etc. as you move through the house.;)

10. memen

memen Elite Member

Hmms your teling me that I need to move around in the house tho???:p

Well today was like yesterday ... When she want down me and went exploring she was calm .When I wanted in my hands again she started to panic a litle but when I hadher she closed eyes fast when I stroked her few times :D

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, as Wildheart said, she has to get to know the house AND you, when she is familiar with the surroundings, and is relaxed, and used to having you around and handling her just the way you`re doing, she will allow you to pick her up without any problems... just be very patient and calm with your movements, you`re doing a good job, keep it up!! :)

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

This is a great thread! Thanks guys! Memen: keep up the good work! It is good to see that you care about your Ig so much. :)

13. memen

memen Elite Member

Ohh i kno now :D. I didnt quite get ur anwsers couse my eanglish sux ... But ty everyone :D!!!!!!!

She is my precious!!!!!!!! ;)

14. schlegelbagel

I would stick to the bathroom for now and get her used to you holding her and being around her. I think you should be able to tell when she is ready for the rest of the house. Have you thought about a leash for her? That way if she does struggle away she won't get far. Here is a link to a thread for making one. They are VERY easy.

A Simple Hip Leash Design - Reptile Information - Caresheets Database

15. memen

memen Elite Member

Well I don't know I think that iguana isn't the leash tipe and I wouldn't fell with it tho... I hate if there r animals on the lish witch have limited space :(.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think the leash is extremely important if you take your iguana ouitdoors for some fresh air and natural sunlight, which is the very best thing for these animals. And by using it inside the house, you get the animal to accept it, the leash needs to be quite short, because if the iguana was to get frightened, you can easily reach down and pick her up! :)

17. schlegelbagel

Nah, the leash is fine. Its more for a "in case of emergency" kinda thing.

18. memen

memen Elite Member

Yea ... But I still think she isn't ready for leash :p.

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

The sooner you start training her for the leash the more comfortable she will be with it in the long run. Lets put it this way, you are already stressing her as you tame her and the leash will stress her, if you do both at once she wont be any MORE stressed but you wont have to stress her for each type of training:) And the best time to train them with it is while you are taming them.

20. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I suggest you make it, but make the end VERY short, like 5 cm. Just to get her used to putting it on and having it on. They often roll and then it wraps the long string around their tail scaring them more. But if they get used to having it on with out the string even if they roll it doesn't wrap around.

I suggest staying in the bathroom for now, then go to your bedroom maybe (clean very well before hand to iguana proof it, anything small could be eaten)

In the room you can read a book, or play a video game or whatever you want to get her used to you being right there but not always staring at her and it can get a little boring watching your bathroom wall for 2 hours.

You can teach stay, where you have her on your lap if she goes to move lightly hold her, say stay (or whatever it is in your language :p) eventually you will be able to tell her to stay on your chair or couch or whatever when you are in the room (note this doesn't work every time... just like with a dog... sometimes they are goin to go no matter)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.