This Disappears When Logged In

I Need an Advice ...

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by memen, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

When she does that then take her out, hold her, walk around with her, but dont put her down. Remember the more you handle her the faster she will become tame. The only place where you can put her down is in the bathroom or a small secure room where you will sit with her.

Judging from the video that you uploaded she does not look that wild to me. You must just remember that you really need to move slowly around her. Never approach her from above, always come from the side or front with your hands stretched out where she can see it.

12 hours on and 12 hours off is good.

2. memen

memen Elite Member

Well even in cage is hard to catch her so I lure her with a dandelion flower :D.

For the timing how can she be up only 12h xD when I go to school at 5:30 or 7:00 she's already awaken but she goes to sleep pat 8 pm. Im happy now that my mustard grows so she will have more food :D.

3. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

The problem is that she is used to getting her way and you have taught her that if she squirms you will put her down. You have to start training her the correct way and that means that you must never put her down again when she squirms.

You need to approach her cage slowly, open the cage slowly and gently talk to her. Show her both your hands and just take her, DO NOT HESITATE, you have to immediately take her out.

When you give her the flower slowly move your hand over her back and stroke her while she eats.

My lights are on 14 hours and off 10 hours, because I need that extra time with them.

4. memen

memen Elite Member

Well i can't sroke her if she is free I can only stroke her when she's in my hands couse if I do that she will run or gonna bite meh lol.

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Yes, while you hold her. It is only going to be hard for a little while and after that it will just get better and better. You want a friendly girl who loves you right? Well then you have to start the training.;)

6. memen

memen Elite Member

Yep first training is at 5 pm in 2 hours :D. But I don't kno if I shuld give her in water in bath tub. Probobly that is 2 fast ...

7. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Look she will give you a very hard time in the bath that is for sure. :D First get her used to being held and then we can move over to bathing time.;)

Remember the towel. Take her out and then put the towel around her leaving her head and front legs sticking out. It is the easiest way to control a wild ig.

8. memen

memen Elite Member

Okay :D. Hmms is there any food the like as a reward like chips or choclolate ... or just bread...?

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

No chips - no chocolate! Whole wheat bread cut into small blocks are fine, you can also soak the bread in water.

I treat my ig with fruit, flowers, pasta, sweet peas, bread and yogurt.

10. memen

memen Elite Member

Whatabout if I soke the bread in orange??? How many time can I feed him bread a month????

11. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Citrus fruit arent good for igs, do you mean soak the bread in orange juice? I wont do that.

Bread is really only a treat, a couple of bites a week, even less than that is fine.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Linky! NO yogurt!!!! It has protein in it!!!

13. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Dominick advised me to give Forest yogurt. It helps with dehydration and puts back what de-worming took out. Forest only takes one bite and then he had enough anyway. ;)

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

well yes, for deworming! but not on a regular basis. The deworming dose is only needed while the ig is being dewormed.

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Yes the milk factor did worry me a bit, but yogurt has loads of calcium in it, luckily Forest does not like it.:D (I had all my reptiles dewormed after I took the ig from the pet shop back). Thanks Liz.

16. memen

memen Elite Member

Okay I'm gonna go spent time with my iggy now :p ill report in 2 h xD

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I find a better treat is a bite of stawberry or melon or peach and not always bread (however, kermit will not eat any bread and if I put it in her dish she throws the whole thing on the floor)

I also would not give any yogurt

If your ig loves dandelion, then a dandelion for a treat is good. Even greens are fine.

18. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Good luck to both of you and remember: Do it SLOWLY - be PATIENT - and be PERSISTENT and most of all - DO NOT give up. ;)

19. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

If you end up crying feeling like a failure you are doing it right.

Iguanas are in no way easy... it will come with time. You will gain confidence and so will your ig.

20. memen

memen Elite Member

Well it wasn't as long as I planed but... it was great! :D She was kinda calm in bathroom meybe couse its all white: It was kinda funny when she started licking my feet xD. She wasn't even agresive like here she never squirmed lol but when I aproched my hadn (slowly) she just walked back (slowly) :D. it was great :D. I ended so fast couse she was cold so i was scared that she will get sick or something so I puted her back in cage. Can't wait till tommorow ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.