This Disappears When Logged In

I Need an Advice ...

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by memen, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. memen

memen Elite Member

I have an female iguana nammed Cookie for almost an 1 and a half year now, and she still doesn't likes me :(. I knew this will be a hard job.Sellers told me that it will take about 2 years or less or more that she will start liking me... I also heard that female iguanas are more hard to learn that male... But I think that little devil doesn't hates me that much anymore :) . She started eating from my hands, I can come to her very close... But I'm scared that it will newer like me :(... Please I need advices.... Thanks for all ur help in the future and sorry for my bad english.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

3. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Where do you live? is english your first language?

It sounds like you need to be a touch more aggressive. Try reaching out and petting and things and then slowly scoop her up and put her down.

4. memen

memen Elite Member

I will take a look at that book thanks :D.

Well I live in Slovenia and when I take her out ( they told me I need to have her in my hands a lot ) she starts .. how do I say she wants to run so I am kinda scared to crush her when I'm holding her...

5. schlegelbagel

Just hang on until she calms down. Otherwise she is going to understand that squirming means she gets let go of! Be firm and hold under the belly.

6. memen

memen Elite Member

You mean that I need to be more mean-angry with her???
    I'm still careful with her because she bit me on new year and almost chopped the end of my finger down lolz...

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

No don't be mean just firm. Hold her until she calms it won't hurt her don't squeeze just firm grip. Keep your hands away from the teeth. :p

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Don't worry about your english. We understand that it is not your native tongue and we can work around it.
    Iguanas will never really "like" humans, but they learn to tolerate us. Particualrly if we have something good to eat in our hand!
    You have to let the iguana know that YOU are in charge. If when she goes to squirming and misbehaving you put her down, then she learns that that is what she needs to do to make you put her down.
    When she starts squirming, GENTLY tighten your grip and as soon as the squirming stops, ease up on the pressure.
    This teaches her that if she misbehaves she will only get held tighter and if she settles down the she gets more freedom to move. It's A long and sometimes difficult battle.

9. memen

memen Elite Member

Thanks for all ur help guys! :D Hmm just that ... is it good to have my Cookie in my hands 1 a day??? Ty :D

10. schlegelbagel

Yes, I would be holding her at least once a day.

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I would try holding her for about 5 mins at least with out squirming a day first, then work your way up.

The reason I ask if english is your first language is that that book is a BIG book that might be difficult to read if english isn't your first language and I am not sure if it comes in different languages, someone should be able to help on that.

12. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I believe what she is trying to say(kind of confusing even if english is your first language :p) is that you should handle every day but only do it for about 5 minutes a day for a little while and then do it for 10 minutes a day for a while and then 15 minutes, and so on until she is comfortable with you.

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

haha sorry yes that is what I meant but also, if you don't handle at least 5 minutes of calmness I don't know if it would actually help in taming much.

14. memen

memen Elite Member

Lol when I had her in my hands when I took her out I had her in my hands like 20-30 min. because the sellers told me that.
    They probably didn't even knew what to do with her....

15. Merlin

20-30 minutes is fine. The trick is to NOT put her up when she is misbehaving.

16. memen

memen Elite Member

Yea. Well almost every time when I want to pot her in the cage back she starts to go crazy so I wait till she comes down then she can go in :p. It's funny when I'm near her (on computer or watching tv) she comes down and starts scratching on the window so I open that i open it ^^ then she starts exploring :D.

17. Merlin

Try occassionally giving a small piece of bread soaked with water. Most iguanas go nuts for it so watch your fingers!
    Mine will stand on her hind legs like a dog and beg for it!

18. memen

memen Elite Member

Yea when I give her bread (few times a month) but not soaked with water she runs ate like she wants to kill me ! She's addicted to it :D but she loves dandelion flowers more I gave them to her every day :D.

19. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

You say that you have had her for 1 and a half years already, unfortunately you taught her how to get her way and therefore you are going to have a battle to change her ways. Handle her as much as possible! My iguana was a total monster - tail whipping - hissing - trying to bite - squirming, a real monster! The only way that I got him to be tame was by increasing my time with him to 3 hours every single day! Yes in the beginning it was **** for both of us but every day got easier and easier. He is an angel and as tame as little kitten today. So much so that he chooses to be with me and wants to sleep on my chest every night. ;)

Time, determination and patience is the key to a totally tame iguana.

Good luck!:D

20. memen

memen Elite Member

Thanks man :D. My iggy is the same now like yours was before so I will try you technique because I see it worked for you :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.